Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with my Md recorder  (Read 5583 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Help with my Md recorder
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
The reason I diss LP2 and LP4 is because they sound far shittier than ATRAC. Simple.

Offline joemango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 10:57:57 AM »
Simple.  OK.  I hadn't thought of that.  Good argument.

It doesn't matter in this case as the person who started this thread doesn't have MDLP anyway on his MZR-55.

I won't be using LP2 anymore, as I have my JB3 and my laptop.

Just a suggestion though...  qualify your opinions a little in the future instead of making blanket statements that make you sound like an elitist.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 02:03:35 PM »
don't worry, he is ;) :P

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 02:05:07 PM »
The reason I diss LP2 and LP4 is because they sound far shittier than ATRAC. Simple.

But when you're dealing with compressed audio, the proof is in the listening.

Exactly.

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »
Yeah, I have a couple of MD recorders around that I use for listening on the go (running, cycling, etc). I find MDLP to be pretty good for playback when you're outside like that. With all the other noise around I really can't tell the difference.
Now when making a master, I agree you should use the best that's available, but that brings up a good point. What's worse, a show recorded in better quality SP that cuts in mid-song when you had to flip, or a slightly lesser quality complete uninterrupted recording?
Tough call. I think valid arguements can be made either way.
Anyway, I think MD is a fine walkman format, just not the best recorder (but far from the worst).

AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
I am going to have to back up mango on the MDLP A:B comparisons. I also prefer MDLP. The imgaging of the recording is superior, and although is more compressed, the recordings have more depth of soundfield.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 12:42:11 PM »
Though, in MDLP, you lose definition in the treble range.  You completely lose some frequencies in the high end.  I'm not sure how good stereo imaging could make up for that. But if imaging is what your after, that's cool.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2004, 12:43:55 PM »

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 01:43:37 PM »
Is a tape flip really that hard? It does take practice to master the art, but damn.

I have a few MDs with 3-4 albums on there as LP2, and those sound "good" when I'm on the train or walking around in the city, but when I get home and turn off the lights, it's no good.

The only exception I could possibly make is listening back to that LP2 MD in my school's Audio Production 1 lab. Each station is equiped with a Tascam MD-350 deck in there for students to use for turning in projects. It sounded just fine when I routed it through the Midas Venice board and into ProTools. This leads me to believe that the ATRAC3 algorithm is pretty good, but the quality of the playback is limited (severly) by the playback unit. Sony portables make it sound about equal to an MP3 recorded as 96Kbps to my ear. Played back through a $700 pro deck is much, much better. But that's a problem, isn't it? Would I accept a trade with any LP in the lineage?

NO.

(well, maybe if I saw the Tascam MD-350 in the text file...)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com