Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I may try my first SBD Matrix w/UA-5 tomorrow...  (Read 6476 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:I may try my first SBD Matrix w/UA-5 tomorrow...
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 12:44:33 AM »
cleantone, there is math for the matrix, however its a pain- it varies with temperature and distance from the stage- i think 15ft per ms at  65-70 degrees or something like that- i totally forget.
There is definitely math.  The impact of temperature and humidity is quite insignificant for the distances we're talking about.

In my opinion, you can get away without delay up to 20-25 ft.  After that, I'd say do a post-mix (you need 2 recorders) or just choose one source.

-edit-  I guess you want the math.  1ms per foot is a good rule of thumb.  For more precise calculations, go here http://www.measure.demon.co.uk/Acoustics_Software/speed.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 12:48:25 AM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

cleantone

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 08:47:39 AM »
cleantone, there is math for the matrix, however its a pain- it varies with temperature and distance from the stage- i think 15ft per ms at  65-70 degrees or something like that- i totally forget.

I meant math for the mix between aud and board. Obviously there is delay math. I'm always wondering why people talk about percentages when mixing thier sources. I just use my ears...

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 11:01:34 AM »
well rhys, how was Clutch?
and how did the matrix go?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 12:45:41 PM by spreadahead »
?>FR2LE

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 11:36:39 AM »
Are most people here running UA-5 into a JB3?  That's what I've been running, and have made a few matrixes this way.

What kind of headphones are y'all using to monitor the mix?  I really need to get a pair of etymotics or something, as regular cans just don't do a good enough job blocking out the sound in the house. It's very disappointing to get home and listen to the tape and realize the mix was off and doesn't sound as good as it could.  I usually try to run about 70/30 or 80/20.

The biggest problem I see with running a matrix using the UA-5 is that, once you get the mix set the way you want it, there's no way to adjust a "master volume" that doesn't affect your mix.  I try my hardest not to use any gain on the JB3, but that's just impossible in this situation.  How are you all dealing with this???

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 01:46:51 PM »
You've just got to play with it. It works out best when there is an opening band that you can use as a guinea pig. Unfortunately, the next show I'm looking to tape this way, the opening band is more important to me than the headliner! But I've never had a problem finding the mix in the first ten or fifteen seconds.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »
Well, my first ever attempt at the SBD/Mic UA-5 Matrix was a complete Success! :yahoo:
I ran XLR>RCA to the back of the UA-5pmod and my AKG393's in the front.  I had the SBD signal up to about -8 and then i topped it off with the Mic signal...i guess that's about 70/30 or 80/20.  It definately brightens up a straight SBD Feed.  
I was able to put my Stand Behind the SBD Barricade, infront of the SBD Left Center.  :realhappy:  I ran it at about 8' ORTF LCFOB.
No concerns about the stand all night!
I ran all of the cables to the side of the Barricade, and myself and 3 other tapers(1 taper-Jeff S. ran a straight SBD feed, and the other 2-Dave[silentmark's buddy] and Kevin[KKaye]patched from me) guarded our gear(which i was concerned about because for the Matrix i had to run the UA-5 and LT outside of the Rackgear) and no incidents what so ever.  :grouphug:
First time i was ever at this venue, and it was really nice...huge; great sound system; lots of Bars.  

Clutch played one of the Top 5 shows ive seen.
They played a high energy amazing setlist, and were tight as could be.
Great show and great recording.
Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread, i really appreciate all of the advice.
I also want to thank Lee Brintnall, who is Clutch's Sound Engineer, who always hooks me up with the SBD Patches.

As soon as im finished with the transfer, Im gonna throw it up on a BT, but if anyone wants a copy Snail Mail style, let me know.
Here's the source info:
Clutch
2-13-04
Starland Ballroom
Sayreville, NJ
SBD Matrix: (ORTF,LCFOB)AKG393's>UA-5pmod>24/48(SF5.0)Toshiba Portege 3480>
16/44(SF6.0)>CDWave>Flac>Nero
Captured Live & Domesticated by Rhys Herrmann
1 Disc

Total Time-79:53:45

D1
01.Slowhole
02.John Wilkes Booth
03.Monster Trucks
04.Rats
05.Peterbuilt
06.Promoter
07.Red Horse*
08.Elephant Riders*
09.Soapmakers*>jam*>drums
10.Willie Nelson
11.Curandera
12.PRF
13.Animal Farm
14.Marcus
15.Texan**
16.Impetus
17.Crowd
encore:
18.I
19.II
20.Passive Restraints

*w/ Neil on Guitar
**w/Bill from Mastadon on Guitar

:devilrock: :headbang: :devilrock:
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 05:25:36 AM »
Congrats! Here's a +T coming your way!

EDIT: Ooh, sorry to bump you off of 69 man.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 05:26:20 AM by Scuba Jeremy »

cpclark

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 06:21:22 PM »
just to ask a couple of questions and clear up a couple of things with a ua-5 matrix.  delay will start to affect the mix when going past 25 ft and it is 1ms per foot.  ive been doing a matrix for my band and running my mics on stage , since we do not mic the bass and drums in most of the places we play these days.  so it would be okay to run the mics about 10 ft from the stage without problems, i always thought the delay would screw up the sync when not very far from stage.  just trying to clear up some of the questions ive had in doing this.  also , is it possible to run the ua-5 at 24/48, i thought the switch on the front only allowed for 24/96. btw this is a stock, unmodified ua-5, and what would i do to make it 24/48. thanks for you time fellas.
-chris

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2004, 11:24:22 PM »
Everything you've said is ok.  To get 24/48, leave the front set at 48 and turn the rear adv switch on.  Then install and use the advanced driver (on the disc that came with the UA-5).  Set your software to 24/48 also.

If you don't start with the switch on, you have to power cycle the UA-5 for it to take effect.  You can think of that switch as the '24 bit switch'.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2004, 04:39:45 PM »
+T on your first successful Matrix!!!

I'd love to get in on that snail mail B&P - some of us aren't high-speed yet!

I'll PM you here in a sec to see if I can get in on this!

Terry Watts
http://db.etree.org/twatts

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

cpclark

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 02:29:07 AM »
thanks for the clarification dklein, ill soon be in the 24bit realm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com