Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade Suggestions Wanted  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Mike Sarnovsky

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I love the 722!
Upgrade Suggestions Wanted
« on: September 06, 2004, 12:06:26 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been running km184 -> mp-2 -> modsbm1 -> d100 for several years now.  I'm very satisfied with the sound, but oftentimes the bass is just too heavy for me.  I have a high quality playback system and sometimes I find myself turning the bass down a little bit.  I need something to brighten it up a little bit I think, whether that be new mics, or scrapping the mp-2, modsbm-1, I'm not entirely sure.  Just FYI, I can't tell too much of a difference between the 140s and 184s, so I don't think I'd be interested in getting a 140 setup. 

Also, I just want to freshen up my gear as well.  For now, don't factor in cost TOO much when making recommendations.  I'm not trying to spend a fortune, but I'll spend some cash on something new and fresh I suppose.  I don't stealth at all, if open taping is not allowed, then I just attend a show for fun.  In general I record a lot of outdoor shows (big and small venues) in the summer and plenty of bars, etc. all year round.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

Edit:  Also just wanted to mention that I want to stick with DAT as I'm pretty paranoid about running a laptop during shows.  I understand that I can get 24/96 out of it, I just want to stick with DAT.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 12:09:44 PM by Mike Sarnovsky »
Mics:  Neumann SKM-140, Neumann SKM-184
Pres:  Lunatec V3, Sound Devices MP-2
A/D:  Oade Mod Sony SBM-1
Recorder:  Sound Devices 722, Nomad JB3

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Upgrade Suggestions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 12:15:02 PM »
Just FYI, I can't tell too much of a difference between the 140s and 184s, so I don't think I'd be interested in getting a 140 setup. 

sounds like you need some 150's then!  ;)

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 12:19:50 PM »
Couple of suggestions, I'm sure others will chime in as well.

- run your mp2 as low as possible
- try running mp2 (low) straight into your d100
- switch the mp2 for a v2
- switch the mp2 for an oade m248 (for sale on dat heads currently)
- switch mp2 -> modSBM for a v3
- try any number of other preamps (Beyer MV-100, sonosax sx-m2, etc)
- last suggestion - go to archives and download some shows from other setups and find out what you like best with 184s.

Good luck - hope you find something you like!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 12:31:21 PM »
Just FYI, I can't tell too much of a difference between the 140s and 184s, so I don't think I'd be interested in getting a 140 setup. 

sounds like you need some 150's then!  ;)

There should be a double diamond sign at the knee of that AK50 frequency response curve.

I ran 184>Mv100>sbm for a long time and did get some boomy bass at times (almost allways at Mule).  When I swapped in a V2, I got really tight bass and never boomy after that.  If the bass was there I got it on tape but it as never loose like it could be with th 184>Mv100 when pushed. 

If I were you, I'd try to get a loaner V2 for a couple of shows and try that out before anything else.  I had no idea how good the 184s are until I ran them with the V2.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 01:40:39 PM »
going straight V3 would make things more neutral...the mp2/modsbm-1 can be a bit bass heavy at times, but I still stand by that if you want to change your sound, get different mics.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 01:58:34 PM »
i was going to suggest a v3 myself.  mike, if you'd like to borrow mine with battery i'd be happy to lend it to you.  how is OH btw? 

i know you arent ready to go 24/96 yet, but as the recording technology rises and the price drops i think you will be more apt to be into 24/96

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 03:12:23 PM »
there are 2 high pass filter settings on the mp-2....

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 03:22:28 PM »
I'll also say, get a V3.... you'll be gald you've got 24/96 capability soon. As the prices drop on 24/96 recorders etc I
'm afraid we may see the price bottom out on 16bit only devices. The mddsbm-1 has been able to hold it's value pretty well but you never know what might be around the corner that could cause the resale prices to fall dramatically.

If you don't want to go all the way to a V3 then I'd suggest ditching the mp2 and getting a V2... I think you'll find your bass issue solved.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Mike Sarnovsky

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I love the 722!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2004, 05:32:11 PM »
I thought I read on the oade board in the past that Neumann 140/184 + lunatec was not very good sounding.

Anyone have some nice schoeps setups with mp-2, modsbm-1?  Though a more dramatic change, anyone have some samples or suggestions?
Mics:  Neumann SKM-140, Neumann SKM-184
Pres:  Lunatec V3, Sound Devices MP-2
A/D:  Oade Mod Sony SBM-1
Recorder:  Sound Devices 722, Nomad JB3

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 05:33:13 PM »
Nick Gregory swears by MG > MP-2 > SBM-1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 05:36:16 PM »
I thought I read on the oade board in the past that Neumann 140/184 + lunatec was not very good sounding.

BFD.  :)  FWIW, I enjoyed the SKM140 / V3 combo a LOT.  Plenty of shows out there with this combo, seek 'em out and give 'em a listen.  I think the V2/V3 matches very well with the Neumann SD mics.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 05:48:01 PM »
Nick Gregory swears by MG > MP-2 > SBM-1

for now, yes, but I am thinking of giving a V3 a run this weekend...who knows I may change my mind...

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 05:57:37 PM »

I like the combo. Some other person may not. It's all very subjective.

Anyone have some nice schoeps setups with mp-2, modsbm-1?  Though a more dramatic change, anyone have some samples or suggestions?

Don't see may Schoeps->mp2 combo's... there are some schoeps, modsbm-1 tapes out there. I ran cmc641->m148->modsbm-1 for a Phil show last fall...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 06:01:55 PM »

KM143 or KM140 into V3 sounds really really good to me.  The 184>V2>SBM tapes were very good too.  I can offer you tons of samples of either.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2004, 06:07:19 PM »
Don't see may Schoeps->mp2 combo's... there are some schoeps, modsbm-1 tapes out there. I ran cmc641->m148->modsbm-1 for a Phil show last fall...

i stealthed with cmc5/mk4 > mp2 occaisionally a few years back.  if the regular loaner sx-m2 was elsewhere (big ups to eliot byron  :D ) -- 99% of the time doing some jamband shite at the wetlands -- i'd get the backup preamp.

i can dredge up some samples if need be, or you can just take my word that the cmc5/mk4 > sxm2 was head and shoulders better than mk4 > mp2.

but, that said, i own an mp2 now and i couldn't be happier with my mbho > mp2 tapes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com