Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Serious Olympus LS-100 problem  (Read 8073 times)

Offline Amir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Serious Olympus LS-100 problem
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »
Guys, I'm having a serious problem with my LS-100 and hope you can help me find a solution.
When I attempt to start the LS-100 via its dedicated hardware key, nothing happens. Of course, its battery has a lot of juice as I've recharged it via my adapter. However, the more interesting part is that when I connect the LS-100 to the computer, it first asks me to adjust the time and specify if I want Voice Guidance -- as if it were my first LS-100 session. When I move past those questions, suddenly the "Remote storage" icon appears on the LS-100 screen and I can't use the recorder at all. I've tried many solutions -- repeating the above without the battery, using a second rechargeable battery, connecting the recorder to the supplied adapter which doesn't require a computer connection, etc., but the "Remote storage" icon (with or without a memory card) doesn't allow me to move ahead and use it. In the past I could connect the LS-100 to the computer and access all menus without a hitch, but that's no longer the case.
It's worth mentioning that I can access the LS-100 drives (both internal and memory card) on the computer. I'm also using the latest firmware driver -- V1.20. As such, I'd like to know if there's a way to format the recorder without resorting to the menus -- I can't go to the menus owing to this problem. Also, I'd be grateful to follow your advice and suggestions -- am really stuck.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Serious Olympus LS-100 problem
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »
Guys, I'm having a serious problem with my LS-100 and hope you can help me find a solution.
When I attempt to start the LS-100 via its dedicated hardware key, nothing happens. Of course, its battery has a lot of juice as I've recharged it via my adapter. However, the more interesting part is that when I connect the LS-100 to the computer, it first asks me to adjust the time and specify if I want Voice Guidance -- as if it were my first LS-100 session. When I move past those questions, suddenly the "Remote storage" icon appears on the LS-100 screen and I can't use the recorder at all. I've tried many solutions -- repeating the above without the battery, using a second rechargeable battery, connecting the recorder to the supplied adapter which doesn't require a computer connection, etc., but the "Remote storage" icon (with or without a memory card) doesn't allow me to move ahead and use it. In the past I could connect the LS-100 to the computer and access all menus without a hitch, but that's no longer the case.
It's worth mentioning that I can access the LS-100 drives (both internal and memory card) on the computer. I'm also using the latest firmware driver -- V1.20. As such, I'd like to know if there's a way to format the recorder without resorting to the menus -- I can't go to the menus owing to this problem. Also, I'd be grateful to follow your advice and suggestions -- am really stuck.

I would try uninstalling the USB driver if there is one or any associated software.. Then with the recorder unplugged from the computer reinstall the software / drivers and only when it asks you to connect the recorder to the computer do so. It could be a corrupted usb driver. It might not be but thats where I would start.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:42:41 PM »

I would try uninstalling the USB driver if there is one or any associated software.. Then with the recorder unplugged from the computer reinstall the software / drivers and only when it asks you to connect the recorder to the computer do so. It could be a corrupted usb driver. It might not be but thats where I would start.

Thanks for your reply. The point is that the LS-100 has no associated USB driver or software. Of course, one can update its firmware by downloading a 17MB file from Olympus's website; but once it's downloaded and installed, it's impossible to uninstall or remove it. Running it on the computer when the recorder is connected indicates that I'm using the latest update and that a re-install isn't necessary. I updated mine many months ago and there was nothing wrong with the recorder till a few days ago. I'm wondering if there's a way to reset/format the LS-100 via its hardware buttons.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:23:40 PM »

Thanks for your reply. The point is that the LS-100 has no associated USB driver or software. Of course, one can update its firmware by downloading a 17MB file from Olympus's website; but once it's downloaded and installed, it's impossible to uninstall or remove it. Running it on the computer when the recorder is connected indicates that I'm using the latest update and that a re-install isn't necessary. I updated mine many months ago and there was nothing wrong with the recorder till a few days ago. I'm wondering if there's a way to reset/format the LS-100 via its hardware buttons.
The other thing I would try is a new card just to see if thats the issue with some corrupt data.

Device Menu

Fn. Setting - function key menu. Let's you assign the F1, F2, F3 keys as a shortcut to menu options that you can choose from.
Memory Select - allows you to choose from the 4Gb internal memory or to use the external memory slot in which you would provide your own SD card.
Power Save - turns the recorder Off after a selected amount of time (5min, 10min, 30min, 1hour, or OFF)
Time & Date - let's you adjust the time and date which can be helpful in file management
USB Setting - Let's you choose from PC, AC adapter, Optional
Reset Setting - Resets the settings to default
Format - Formats the selected memory and erases all files
Memory info - Displays the remaining memory and capacity
System info - Model/Version/Serial No.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »

The other thing I would try is a new card just to see if thats the issue with some corrupt data.

Device Menu

Fn. Setting - function key menu. Let's you assign the F1, F2, F3 keys as a shortcut to menu options that you can choose from.
Memory Select - allows you to choose from the 4Gb internal memory or to use the external memory slot in which you would provide your own SD card.
Power Save - turns the recorder Off after a selected amount of time (5min, 10min, 30min, 1hour, or OFF)
Time & Date - let's you adjust the time and date which can be helpful in file management
USB Setting - Let's you choose from PC, AC adapter, Optional
Reset Setting - Resets the settings to default
Format - Formats the selected memory and erases all files
Memory info - Displays the remaining memory and capacity
System info - Model/Version/Serial No.

Good points, but the problem is that I can't access menus at all as the recorder stubbornly keeps displaying "Remote storage" plus the charging icon -- when connected to the computer or a power source. This means that the recorder doesn't respond to my key presses at all. Also, this happens to me with and without the memory card inserted. Now do you recommend formatting the recorder's 8GB of built-in memory via the computer? I can access both the built-in memory and the mem card -- if the latter is inserted.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
Well, guys, while the problem persists, I noticed that if I format the LS-100's built-in memory on the computer, once I disconnect and re-connect it, the proper structure of the built-in memory gets re-created properly -- including all folders and subfolders. That might or might not be good news, but I'm still wondering why my LS-100 doesn't switch on when it's not connected to the computer. Also, I'm still wondering why I can't move past the troubling "remote storage" stage -- to access the menus -- when it's connected to the computer or an external power source. I desperately want to format/reset it one way or another without resorting to its menus which can't be accessed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:39:09 PM by Amir »

Offline Jonmac

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
Well, guys, while the problem persists, I noticed that if I format the LS-100's built-in memory on the computer, once I disconnect and re-connect it, the proper structure of the built-in memory gets re-created properly -- including all folders and subfolders. That might or might not be good news, but I'm still wondering why my LS-100 doesn't switch on when it's not connected to the computer. Also, I'm still wondering why I can't move past the troubling "remote storage" stage -- to access the menus -- when it's connected to the computer or an external power source. I desperately want to format/reset it one way or another without resorting to its menus which can't be accessed.
While this is getting frustrating, honestly I believe I've learned my lesson: never invest in a recorder which is used by very few people and which suffers from a serious scarcity of online literature. This seems to be the case of the LS-100 which never managed to win the hearts of serious tapers and audiophiles.

Check that none of the buttons are stuck in, a stuck button will confuse the processor and prevent proper operation.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
Thanks, but no button is stuck. I've checked all of them and they can be pressed and released without a hitch.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:23:42 AM »
Ring Olympus and check this all with the experts.

It may be you have a faulty unit and they will replace it.

How old is it?

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 07:01:15 AM »
Ring Olympus and check this all with the experts.

It may be you have a faulty unit and they will replace it.

How old is it?

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »
Guys, this  is to inform you that I can now use the LS-100! I formatted the LS-100's internal memory for a second time -- this time without the memory card inside the recorder, and it worked! Now I can access its menus and record stuff -- with or without the mem card. I'm glad the problem is now history and that the lovely LS-100 is back on its feet! :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com