Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: would this work?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline creep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
would this work?
« on: June 06, 2004, 01:29:16 AM »
ok well
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-4&type=store
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-8&type=store
question 1, whats the difference between those two mics?
is one just easier to stealth because of the caps than the other?

question 2, if i buy these stock with no power mod, can they take phantom power from a ua-5/walmart 9v? i assume no.
question 2-b, if not, how expensive would it be to mod myself so it can? i assume they have 1/8th connectors and i need to change them to xlr? would it be better to just pay the 100 dollars (i think thats how much they want, its 45 for bat pack and 100 for the phantom) to get it done?

question 3, so would this set up work:
one of those two mics taking phantom power
from a a digi modded (whats a soft mod?) ua-5 powered by a
walmart 9v charger
a jb3

question 4, any more practical suggestions?

i realize i could get a cheap md player used with shitty mics but this seems like the cheap way to do it, along with getting decent recordings.
thanks.

jpschust

Re:would this work?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 01:32:50 AM »
it looks like the 8's are a matched pair as well

2- im not sure, but i think phantom power might fry these mics
2b- not entirely sure on this one

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 01:37:07 AM »
doesn't sound like you are trying to stealth w/ the UA5/batt/jb3 so I would look into some larger mics suck as oktavas, Super lux, akg c1000,  etc...  

What are your goals and budget? so we can better assit you.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline creep

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 01:38:49 AM »
i am trying to stealth but i'm trying to keep the quality up without bringing the price up, so no d8 dats or m1s or what not.
looking at like 700 for ebay stuff? not sure.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 01:56:48 AM »
1) The CMC-8s are the at933s (they may be using the es943s now).  They are much smaller than the other mics and have a different frequency response graph.  I really like the 933s/943s.

2) a. no
b. you could do it yourself, yes.  But it's more than just changing the connector.  You'd need to get a power adapter, either the one made by Audio Technica or Samson.  

3)  Yes, and it would work quite well.

4)  Only that if you're going to be stealthing a lot you may want to look into some smaller preamp options.  The MP2 is a great pre that is perfect for stealthing.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 03:01:04 AM »
guessing here, but perhaps you mean "self-mod" ua5 rather than soft-mod?  The digi-mod (plus others) is done by the oade bros., but is possible to perform yourself, hence the term self mod.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 06:22:30 AM »
ok well
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-4&type=store
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-8&type=store
question 1, whats the difference between those two mics?
is one just easier to stealth because of the caps than the other?

question 2, if i buy these stock with no power mod, can they take phantom power from a ua-5/walmart 9v? i assume no.
question 2-b, if not, how expensive would it be to mod myself so it can? i assume they have 1/8th connectors and i need to change them to xlr? would it be better to just pay the 100 dollars (i think thats how much they want, its 45 for bat pack and 100 for the phantom) to get it done?

question 3, so would this set up work:
one of those two mics taking phantom power
from a a digi modded (whats a soft mod?) ua-5 powered by a
walmart 9v charger
a jb3

question 4, any more practical suggestions?

i realize i could get a cheap md player used with shitty mics but this seems like the cheap way to do it, along with getting decent recordings.
thanks.

[1]  the difference can be found here and here, and your ears can help sometimes, too.

[2]  no, you can do the mod yourself for $70, assuming you know how to solder and all that.  Search for threads on how to do this.  The adapter is the Samson PM-4 or PM4

[3]  mic > adapter > ua-5 would work

[4]  ua-5 might be tough to stealth
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 06:25:29 AM by Schwizzilly McFerrinskiabdul-Jabbar »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com