Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)  (Read 107012 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:02 AM »
Ravpower external battery and others display bars on the battery to show remaining power.

Here's something that I don't think has been addressed in the threads - Can you adjust levels separately on the stereo ext in? Not sure I have a need for that but it seems like it would be good to know.

Yes, channels 1/2 should be able to tweak levels on EXT Stereo IN. Its just another input!
And personally I see this as a problem, since now it's tricky to get the two channels exactly balanced.  That's why I put a request for ganged gain controls for stereo pairs in the Firmware Requests section of the FAQ.  I don't think the Tascam rep is active here anymore though...

Im not sure what you mean by saying "its tricky" to get the 2 channels balanced? If you use the EXT Stereo 1/8" input, you just use the channel 1/2 gain knobs.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »
Ive been running tests on the 70D the last 2 days. So far, running mk4>PFA>70D on 1/2 with Phantom ON, and mk41>vms02ib>70D on 3/4 Line IN, all 4 channels at 24/96, and I can barely get 2 hours with alkalines or NIMH batteries :(

I also found out that when the 70D completely runs out of power, that it DOES indeed SAVE from where the batteries died. So that makes me feel a little safer :) I'll be getting a USB Battery at WalMart tomorrow or Thursday for shows I'm doing this weekend, so thankfully I wont have to run just the alkalines :) And I'm going to order a few USB Batteries from Amazon here really soon, so I'll be all set on power after I grab those! Now I just need to decide which battery I'm going to use so that I can power my vms02ib externally. Changing the 8xAA in the vms, 4xAA in the 70D, and 4xAA to power both M10s, I'll be damn glad to be able to power the vms externally, because its a PITA to change out the AAs in it :(

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #317 on: April 22, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »
Ravpower external battery and others display bars on the battery to show remaining power.

Here's something that I don't think has been addressed in the threads - Can you adjust levels separately on the stereo ext in? Not sure I have a need for that but it seems like it would be good to know.

Yes, channels 1/2 should be able to tweak levels on EXT Stereo IN. Its just another input!
And personally I see this as a problem, since now it's tricky to get the two channels exactly balanced.  That's why I put a request for ganged gain controls for stereo pairs in the Firmware Requests section of the FAQ.  I don't think the Tascam rep is active here anymore though...

Im not sure what you mean by saying "its tricky" to get the 2 channels balanced? If you use the EXT Stereo 1/8" input, you just use the channel 1/2 gain knobs.
What I mean is it's tricky to set those two channels to exactly the same level.  In most other recorders, it's one knob to control the stereo input pair.  Here you have to use two, and the display only shows the current highest peak level from any channel (it doesn't tell you which one).  It's easier if you're recording from an external pre that can output slate tones like the MixPre / FP24.  You set one channel to -20, then you move the other until the peak level is higher than that, and slowly back it down to -20.

My point is, if there was an option to gang together a pair of channels for gain adjustments you wouldn't have to worry about the two channels being different levels.  On the 70D, you do.  Since it's all digitally controlled though, they could actually change this in firmware if they wanted to.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #318 on: April 22, 2015, 06:40:33 AM »
My point is, if there was an option to gang together a pair of channels for gain adjustments you wouldn't have to worry about the two channels being different levels.  On the 70D, you do.  Since it's all digitally controlled though, they could actually change this in firmware if they wanted to.

No being able to gang all the inputs of the channels is the only reason I don't buy a DR-70D.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #319 on: April 22, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »

What I mean is it's tricky to set those two channels to exactly the same level.  In most other recorders, it's one knob to control the stereo input pair.  Here you have to use two, and the display only shows the current highest peak level from any channel (it doesn't tell you which one).  It's easier if you're recording from an external pre that can output slate tones like the MixPre / FP24.  You set one channel to -20, then you move the other until the peak level is higher than that, and slowly back it down to -20.

That's funny, because I like the 70D because I CAN control each channel separately lol ;D Just goes to show different tapers like different things!!! My vms only has one gain knob for both channels[20/40db settings] and even though its usually dead even, it'll be nice to be able to tweak them if needed :)

So what you're saying is, if you run EXT Stereo IN on 1/2, you just wish you had ONE gain knob like the 60D does for channels 3/4 ???

And to be perfectly honest, I don't pay attention to the specs and slate tones[which I have never used even once], I just plug in what goes where and watch the levels until I'm comfortable and and just let it ride from there. Since its 24-Bit, I can run levels conservatively and not have to stress about a loud part or something during the music! And I have no real world experience yet, but the gain controls on the 70D seem very easy to use. I'm able to set levels pretty quick while I've been recording TV and music in my house. Guess I'll find out this weekend how easy they really are to adjust ;) I plan on just setting levels and putting hold ON once I'm satisfied ;D I think its rather easy to get all 4 channels pretty lined up gain-wise on the screen!

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
Ok thanks for all the input on the ext in. It will probably be fine but I can see how it would bother someone that the levels are left to human error.

Ran the unit last night for about 6 hours with a Fremo Q-02 3200mAh battery, then charged my iPhone after. 3/4 had the internals running and I think I had 1/2 set to mic with nothing going in. I'm guessing that would be about the same draw as line in because phantom power was off(but please correct that if I'm wrong). Not sure how much juice was left but I charged the Fremo overnight, as I'm hoping to try out the DR-70d tonight. I'll still probably end up purchasing a higher mAh batt, but it seems like this will work for a single night. I'll of course have AAs on hand just in case, and will report back on how it goes.

A couple things...

I said earlier in the thread that CA mics could potentially be run with the phantom power. DO NOT DO THIS!! I should have thought before I posted, but those mics cannot be powered above 12V, and the phantom on the 70d is way higher.

What can be done that I've been needing is 4ch all with mic in. The Naks/Teacs have low output and cannot be run line in that I'm aware of, so it will be nice to try out a stereo pair of cards with center omni now.

Edit to add... Something I don't like. I really don't like how the battery compartment opens. It took me a minute to figure out, kept thinking it was to slide off, but it pops off at that little tiny notch. The DR-2d has a similar compartment for the SD card that I don't like. Doesn't the plastic that holds it on break eventually? Other than that the 70d seems to be pretty sturdy.

Here you have to use two, and the display only shows the current highest peak level from any channel (it doesn't tell you which one).

^ Maybe I'm missing something here, but when testing I seemed to show 4 channels. That said, I didn't actually plug in any miniplug devices to the ext in to see how they would appear on the screen. Are you saying you only have a single bar on the screen for a stereo pair, as if it were mono?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:38:39 AM by jagraham »
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
Pics had been sent immediately with a full report!  Hope I get some satisfaction from this ordeal.

They have a separate service center just for the DR-70D and a separate dept that sends them out after repair or warranty.  To many cooks in the kitchen scenario.

I'm sorry you've had this experience with Tascam and the 70d. I just couldn't pass up on the $200 deal. I just hope Tascam takes full responsibility of the situation and send you a NEW unit ASAP, because that is bullshit!

Thanks F.O.Bean and I agree this is bullshit. I received an email later last night from Teac/TASCAM saying that the scratches all over the screen is a film that covers it....REALLY!  They must think all consumers are dumb ass idiots, as there was no film and I clearly had taken pics of which show this.  I am perplexed as to why they will not honor their warranty as well and specifically their mistake in sending a scratched re-furbed model to me with only the USB cable that comes with the unit?  I do not use the camera foot attachment and would remove and place the rubber inserts into the holes...well they did not send these either, yet they are telling me it was a new model in an unopened box.  The person that is telling me this is in a different office in a different location that does not see what goes out and yet assumes they can not make a mistake...uhg!!!

They really are not standing behind their product and do not want to take the unit back it seems, of which is so confusing for a new product and a company that will not stand behind their mistakes in house.

So I will use my Zoom H6 and wait for the Zoom F8 to come out.

What really pisses me off is that the emails they send you more or less talk down to the consumer and considers themselves not in any wrong while the consumer gets treated like a moron that never graduated 1st grade.    Such bad bad bad customer service..  I hope none of you all have to deal with them!!! seriously!!!

Will post pics when I get home from the day job.
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
Pics had been sent immediately with a full report!  Hope I get some satisfaction from this ordeal.

They have a separate service center just for the DR-70D and a separate dept that sends them out after repair or warranty.  To many cooks in the kitchen scenario.

I'm sorry you've had this experience with Tascam and the 70d. I just couldn't pass up on the $200 deal. I just hope Tascam takes full responsibility of the situation and send you a NEW unit ASAP, because that is bullshit!

Thanks F.O.Bean and I agree this is bullshit. I received an email later last night from Teac/TASCAM saying that the scratches all over the screen is a film that covers it....REALLY!

Did anyone get a DR-70D that actually had the packing film on the screen?

Got mine from BH - and it had no film - and I think another poster said his had no film either. (this was early in the first thread)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #323 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:14 AM »

Thanks F.O.Bean and I agree this is bullshit. I received an email later last night from Teac/TASCAM saying that the scratches all over the screen is a film that covers it....REALLY!

Did anyone get a DR-70D that actually had the packing film on the screen?

Got mine from BH - and it had no film - and I think another poster said his had no film either. (this was early in the first thread)

^ Mine didn't. Screen looked mint so it's not a big deal. But I thought it was odd, as I think all the other new tascam recorders I've had did have a film.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #324 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »
My unit when I first received it from B&H did have the protective screen film/cover. The box also had a clear circle sticker over the tab of the box lid, of which was the "new" seal of an unopened box. 

The replacement did not have this at all.  The usb cable in the plastic package was rolled up and stuffed into the bag, of which the original was wrapped with a tie.

It is so obvious that I got a refurbed unit sent back to me.  Sorry for my bitching, just really annoyed at the situation and how I am supposed to be the person in the wrong with them. 
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #325 on: April 22, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »
My unit when I first received it from B&H did have the protective screen film/cover. The box also had a clear circle sticker over the tab of the box lid, of which was the "new" seal of an unopened box. 

The replacement did not have this at all.  The usb cable in the plastic package was rolled up and stuffed into the bag, of which the original was wrapped with a tie.

It is so obvious that I got a refurbed unit sent back to me.  Sorry for my bitching, just really annoyed at the situation and how I am supposed to be the person in the wrong with them.

Mine had no clear circle "new seal" either...not a trace.

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #326 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »
Mine had no clear circle "new seal" either...not a trace.

At least yours is working and came in good condition without it looking like it was on tour for the past year+.

I would have settled for the replacement if the screen was not covered with scratches and came with everything it was supposed to have come with.  This is what Grinds My Gears!  LOL 

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #327 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
Mine did not have any cover on the screen or seal on box but it looked new.  I took it out for a test run last night.  I wanted to try recording the frogs in the pond behind my house.  I first tried on high + gain and it was way too high.  On high gain, the levels were at about 3 o'clock and the frogs sound awesome.  I used Nevaton MCE400'S > DR70D with phantom power on and it worked out great.  It was my first try at recording nature and I'm quite impressed.  Now it needs a test run with some loud music and see how it performs.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #328 on: April 22, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
No protective film on mine. 

Not sure what state you are in, but I don't believe they can legally stick you with a scratched up replacement unit.  Send them a written demand for a proper replacement with a photograph of your unit by certified mail.  If they don't respond in 20-30 days, there may be a consumer protection agency in your state that might be willing to assist you for free.  Be very clear in your letter to say when you sent them the first unit, the problem, when they sent your replacement, what the problem is, and when you contacted them to make it good.  It could be someone just goofed and mailed out a unit they didn't mean to mail out, but if they think they can stick you with a beater, let them spend their time answering to a consumer protection agency in your state. 

I guess the plastic battery cover won't make it a year on most units. 

Absence of ganged controls is a minus as is them not giving us the manual controls present on the 60d. 

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #329 on: April 22, 2015, 11:37:45 AM »
I have it all documented with emails and pic's, as well as I have the saved messages on my phone from TASCAM's service center telling me on 2 different occasions that my "new" (LOL) recorder was shipping. Had to call them back after the 1st message a week later to see when I would receive the replacement and the answer was...they forgot to send it!  I demanded that it be sent ASAP and that I get a tracking number, of which they did get to me on the 2nd call/message they left.  They have been a total nightmare!  I actually am laughing about this and honestly, I will sell the possible "new" replacement as soon as I get it.

I just want satisfaction at this point.  I have no faith and or trust in Teac/TASCAM products after this, simply because they have proven to me that they do not stand behind their product!

Sorry for the mass venting here...am over it!  Will play nice.  :)

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.303 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com