Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amplify Or Normalise - That Is The Question (Or Normalize, Even)  (Read 2085 times)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
I have had a look around but still a little confused. Using Audacity, all I want to do is to boost the volume level of my recording, so I think Amplify only. The help manual seems to indicate that you should Normalize before doing anything. Your thoughts?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Amplify Or Normalise - That Is The Question (Or Normalize, Even)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »
Audacity performs peak normalization, but has a fixed setting for the highest peak, for some reason:  -3 dBFS.  When normalizing, most people want to increase the highest peak to just below 0 dBFS (like -0.1 dBFS or some such).  Using Amplify allows one to specify peaks higher than -3 dBFS (like, -0.1 dBFS).  I'd just use Amplify.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »
Thanks Brian, helpful as ever. +t

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »
Audacity performs peak normalization, but has a fixed setting for the highest peak, for some reason:  -3 dBFS.  When normalizing, most people want to increase the highest peak to just below 0 dBFS (like -0.1 dBFS or some such).  Using Amplify allows one to specify peaks higher than -3 dBFS (like, -0.1 dBFS).  I'd just use Amplify.

Exactly what I do when needed.  That normalize limiter sucks.

Also, an Audacity tip, sometimes, if you're trying to amplify the entire recording at once it simply won't allow it (not sure why.)  In that case, I select just a few seconds of the "loudest" portion of the wav, amplify it to just under 0dBFS.  Then:
select "undo"
select the entire wave
select "redo"

and it's the sneaky way of getting the entire deal amplified when it's tried to block you on the deal.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline jamroom

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:01:21 PM »
ha-ha! Sneaky and cool. Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com