Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Speakers!  (Read 3405 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
New Speakers!
« on: April 23, 2004, 04:05:44 PM »
Well I finally got a  new pair!   My old speakers were pretty rough...JBL 2800s...about 15 years old.

Just got a pair of Polk RTi8s.   So far they sound fantastic...lots of low end and crisp highs. To me, the imaging is also increadible!  

Now I gotta start looking at new amps.....not sure if I should go the av reciever or intigrated amp route.

I'm a happy camper! :bouncy:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 04:06:33 PM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
Re:New Speakers!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 04:36:10 PM »
Thanks Moke!  My first attempt at putting a decent playback system together.  I'm sure it's gonna be far more finacially consuming than taping! :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 06:02:34 PM »
 :P

She said "no more taping gear".....so my only option was to work on my playback. ;)

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 11:42:32 AM »
Here's a pic... :)

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 12:59:58 PM »
Nothing great....Monster 12ga oxygen free copper terminated with monster banana plugs.

I looked at several high end cables online and just really have no clue or inclanation to spend a ton of $$ just yet.

Moke I saw you're using....damn I forget...the oval cable from _______________.   I couldn't find that specific cable for sale, by the foot, online anywhere?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 03:07:51 PM »
+T brian! congratulations...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2004, 04:41:47 PM »
Brian work on proper speaker set up, it will be like getting another new pair when you get it right. Check the archives, there has been a bit of discussion around here on proper placement. I fought with poor placement due to room layout for a year, I went through a LOT of gear in that time & it never sounded right until I moved the room around to optimize speaker placement, it was like turning the light switch on!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline phishn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 05:16:39 PM »
sweet! +T for new toys.
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2004, 06:37:37 PM »
Thanks guys and +T back at all of ya! :)

Carl I know exactly what ya mean...right now, as I assume you can tell, the speakers are placed in the only place the room allows at the moment.... rather than the ideal place  for them.  

I have a good idea of where they should be......but that means convincing the little woman we have to move the living room around! :D

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 08:01:41 PM »
Sara has promised a "listening room" so that she doesn't have to look at any of it and me and my friends can do our thing ;D

I'm holding her to it!

have fun with the new toys Brian!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 08:07:17 PM »
 ;D

Tim my best advice.........get it IN WRITING!! ;)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 12:11:37 AM »
Sara has promised a "listening room" so that she doesn't have to look at any of it and me and my friends can do our thing ;D

I'm holding her to it!

have fun with the new toys Brian!
So you moving in Tim?   ;)
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 09:23:16 AM »
yepper speaker placement can make a world of diffrence. the problem i have with placment is that if you get it right for the sweet spot it doesnt sound so great for the rest of the house. so i find myself moving them around a lot.

cables... Try making your own with CAT5
amplifier... I just picked up a Marantz 4600 totally blown away every time i turn it on it does justice to music and movies.... it sounds better at home!

if you have any cambridge soundworks scratch and dent depos on your area that is the way to go.
the show is over go home please.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 10:54:49 AM »
Compromise compromise.......   Do something for the lady and get those speakers out from the corner and back wall.  I've made nice with the wife and have a decent setup in the living room, but at the expense of a large dog.  I'm in the process of building a dedicated theater in the basment that will be perfect for 2 channel as well.  Speakers 2' from the walls, acoustic wall treatments, power amps, 106" diag screen.....  She gets a few plants and trees outside and gets to pic the couch and chairs for the new room.  Again compromise...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com