Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 6060, a 3mm lav!!  (Read 3494 times)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: DPA 6060, a 3mm lav!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 06:49:52 AM »
Very interesting!  Can't wait to hear them in taperssection action.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:08:03 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »
Is this the new game changer mic that is supposed to release today?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »
Just over half the diameter, yet slightly longer than 406x.  Grid looks built-in, providing an additional 1dB response boost up top (+4dB verses +3dB with short grid).   

Comparing 6060 to 4060 Core version-
Same 134 max SPL, 1dB(A) higher noise floor, 3dB lower 1% THD distortion point, 4dB lower dynamic range, 1dB(A) lower S/N

I expect this to be welcomed by the theater/film/TV sound market, if not really a game changer there as they already have other 3mm diameter mics, other than presumably improved sound quality in that format which I've no reason to doubt.  But I don't see it as much of a game changer for us, other than being marginally more useful for super-stealth situations.  This is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

I'm going with the Core version of 4060 next time, it's is small enough, performs slightly better, and is less costly.  My main wish is that DPA would release a 4060 variant without the integrated cable, placing the microdot connector at the back of the capsule.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:25:09 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »
One interesting thing I noticed on the spec sheet is that, in addition to microdots, DPA will apparently offer these with several other connectors.

I like the form factor and the non-removable grids, but I wouldn’t consider these, or the 4060 Cores for that matter, until my current 4060s give up the ghost. DPA has enough of my cash for the time being...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:54:10 PM »
^ Yes, other more common connectors, but each of those will be wired as a single-microphone mono connection.  Doubtful they'll offer a stereo pair wired to a single connector.

Agreed on the replacement thing. I'm currently reworking a 4 x 4060 setup.  Large sections of wire sheathing are flaking off on all four, stressing the conductors where missing, and one has a full short.  I'll probably tech-flex them with the "soft-hand, quiet application" fabric-feel texflex sheathing to make the sheathing repair, and will probably end up splicing in a new wire for at least the shorted one, before eventually declaring defeat and purchasing new Core version replacements.

The comparison I made above was partly myself making sure this remains my preferred path moving forward.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
^ Yes, other more common connectors, but each of those will be wired as a single-microphone mono connection.  Doubtful they'll offer a stereo pair wired to a single connector.

I am also pretty sure that will be the case.  Still, though, it may be easier dealing with some of those other connectors, which are usually cheaper and more accessible.  There are even some off-the-shelf cables available for some of them.

Sounds like you have a more pressing need for replacements than I do; I look forward to your reviews of the Cores!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com