Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity : Repair one channel with the other?  (Read 1763 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Audacity : Repair one channel with the other?
« on: December 06, 2006, 09:54:46 AM »
Doing a DAT transfer - I must have had a flaky connection so there is some static/clicks between songs.

But they are only on the right channel...

Id like to replace the right channel clicks with the clean left channel - but I cant seem to come up with the workflow...

Any ideas??

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Roving Sign

Re: Audacity : Repair one channel with the other?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanks Brian - the "Simple" method did the trick!

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 09:04:56 PM »
Hmmm upon further use - there seems to be odd things happening...

To be clear - the noises I'm removing are mostly on one channel, and between songs - only a few in-song cracks...

Problem -

On the channel that I'm removing cracks from - It sounds like material prior to the edit is going out of phase...at the edit point the channel goes back in phase...

Example - see attachment...

Starts out - out of phase on the right - note the leftward tilt...
At 19-20 seconds is the edit (still at little artifact there) - but it clicks back in phase...and sounds balanced again...
At 22 seconds is another smaller click that I havent removed yet...

I'll have to retrace my steps...still counting on user error somehow...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:38:59 AM »
The pre-edit stereo track sounds and looks in phase to me - the (+) peaks on the L channel match the (+) peaks on the right channel.  Same for the (-) peaks on each channel.  As you suggest, there's a clear dlineation at the ~19s mark when you switch to dual mono.  However, I then hear mono through the rest of the sample - including the click around the 22s, which seems odd.  It ought not be there, yet...there it is.  Something screwy is going on at that point.  When does the dual-mono edit end within the sample?  Even if it ends at that 22s mark, it ought to be a cleaner transition, without the click, a la the cleaner transition from stere to dual-mono at the 19s mark.

I'm guessing what you're hearing as "going back in phase" at the 19s edit point is simply the complete removal of time delay differences due to switching from a stereo signal to a dual mono signal.  A dual mono signal sounds inherently "cleaner" and more in-phase because there are absolutely zero time differences across the L and R tracks since their source is the exactly same.  In the pre-edit stereo signal, there's a slight delay between L and R channels, even though they're not out of phase, which contributes to the stereo image - perfectly normal and natural sounding, I think.  This is a Good Thing, IMO...else we'd always record in dual mono.

But something screwy is happening at the 22s mark, with the click, and I'm not sure what.  Are you trying to switch back to stereo at that poing?  If so, it doesn't sound like it's happening.  It still sounds dual-mono to my ears.  Re-trace your steps as you suggested and confirm you're switching from stereo to dual-mono and back when and as you wish?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com