Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic bar recommendations?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Candace

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Mic bar recommendations?
« on: June 20, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »
So during Telluride Bluegrass. my old stereo bar fell out of my bag and was lost. Never returned to lost and found, unfortunately. I'm currently looking for a new bar. My old one most resembled the KM23510, though it only had 5/8 screw mounts, not 3/8. I'm currently shopping around for a new one, and I'm debating a few different ones. It seems like straight bars seem to be more popular now, instead of the bendable one like I used to have. The Grace SB-30 seems like perhaps the Cadillac of stereo mic bars, with an accompanying price tag to boot. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations? The Rode looks interesting, though it's all plastic, so I wonder about durability. FYI, I am using Audio Tecnica 8410 shock mounts.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic bar recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 03:34:03 PM »
It's not as nice as the Grace, but I really like the Basic AB from https://shop.mikrofonschiene.de. Solid and well built. It's modular, so there are lots of options for more complex setups.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 04:35:19 PM »
Do/did you use the flexibility of the former bar to adjust the spacing between microphones to suit the particulars of the recording situation, or do you tend to use the same spacing between mics each time?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Candace

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 05:43:38 PM »
Do/did you use the flexibility of the former bar to adjust the spacing between microphones to suit the particulars of the recording situation, or do you tend to use the same spacing between mics each time?

Generally, I used the same spacing, to try to manually do an ORTF using the bars themselves and having the shock mounts straight on the bars. These days I don't have a mic stand (any recommendations there?) and just use an OnStage Mic Clamp and find some nice person who will let me clamp on. I used the old bar to best stay out of the way of mics above on whomever I was clamping onto.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 06:43:25 PM »
If you want to go with what you know and has been working for you, the KM23510 with 5/8" mounts looks available many places on line for about $26 - durable and inexpensive.  I like that having that kind of adjustability.

An alternate arrangement a lot of tapers are using these days is a 3d printed bar.  They are non-adjustable and typically use a single central shock mount instead of individual shocks at each microphone.  The advantages are light weight, consistent angle/spacing every time, and a more streamlined non-invasive visual profile. Many tapers use them with active mics to keep everything super small, but they make them for regular bodied small diaphragm condensor mics too. Some folks carry a couple different ones to switch between alternate configurations.  Most TS'ers using those get them from Scott Shepherd of SRS Recording, who often works with tapers to provide a custom mount for whatever mics they are using if there is not already something designed that is appropriate: https://www.shapeways.com. You might search for threads here at TS for more info on those if it seems like it might work for you.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 06:50:30 PM »
If adjustability and ultra-durability are most important, the system Aaron posted a link to is a very nice option.  Similarly, others who need adjustability and wider spacing options are using some modular camera rail systems which look very nice, work well, and have a lot of options.  Can't recall the name but a search or browse through the Microphones & Setup section should find it.  TS member Rocksuitcase uses and speaks highly of that option.

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 08:20:45 PM »
If you want to go with what you know and has been working for you, the KM23510 with 5/8" mounts looks available many places on line for about $26 - durable and inexpensive.  I like that having that kind of adjustability.

An alternate arrangement a lot of tapers are using these days is a 3d printed bar.  They are non-adjustable and typically use a single central shock mount instead of individual shocks at each microphone.  The advantages are light weight, consistent angle/spacing every time, and a more streamlined non-invasive visual profile. Many tapers use them with active mics to keep everything super small, but they make them for regular bodied small diaphragm condensor mics too. Some folks carry a couple different ones to switch between alternate configurations.  Most TS'ers using those get them from Scott Shepherd of SRS Recording, who often works with tapers to provide a custom mount for whatever mics they are using if there is not already something designed that is appropriate: https://www.shapeways.com. You might search for threads here at TS for more info on those if it seems like it might work for you.

Also, if you have a 3D printer, there are free plans available to print a basic bar.  I printed one that looks and works very much like the KM23510 you noted.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 11:48:54 PM »
If adjustability and ultra-durability are most important, the system Aaron posted a link to is a very nice option.  Similarly, others who need adjustability and wider spacing options are using some modular camera rail systems which look very nice, work well, and have a lot of options.  Can't recall the name but a search or browse through the Microphones & Setup section should find it.  TS member Rocksuitcase uses and speaks highly of that option.

2x50cm rig rod set (other sizes also available) by 9.Solutions incl. a rod connector. These are very sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com/9-Solutions-500mm-Anodized-Aluminum-9-VBROD7/dp/B01MT02G6L?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

You'd also want some Manfrotto rapid adapters to be able to vary the distance between your omnis as the diameter of the rods is 5/8".

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-Adapter-Converts-8-Inch-Thread/dp/B000LJDHFU

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 12:06:20 AM »
I like and use several KM23510, but when we got the first couple decades ago, they were all 5/8 only. By the time we ordered another, maybe 10 years ago, it was 5/8 in the center, but the mic mounts were 3/8, and I hate it. So I would be cautious about vendors descriptions and what you actually get. I have no idea if K&M has special numbers for all 5/8 or not, so maybe I was just careless.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 10:11:46 AM »
small rig      https://www.smallrig.com/list/Rod.html       
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline marcb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 08:14:15 PM »
I put the below on the thread gutbucket discussed about camera rods. Taped a few shows with this config and loving it. Also, using a very short rod you can make a compact stereo set up if looking closer spacing like ORTF / XY / PAS. If doing coincident configurations you will need a slightly longer bar for one side, live pics show this.

Here is the rod discussion: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=201407.0

earlier post:
You inspired me to go down a rabbit hole I've been thinking about for some time because I wanted a wide stereo bar with flexibility for multiple orientations and multiple mics. I bought a 15mm, 61cm carbon fiber rod and two camvate right angle connector clamps which accept 15mm x 2cm rod that has a 3/8 thread for mic mount. I think it's a better solution than having the screw directly on the clamp as you can easily adjust the orientation of the mic by loosening the clamp. The flange on the 2cm rod keeps it from falling through the clamp while loose. I tried including some photos but they are not showing up in preview, will try to repost if it does not work.

With a 12mm rod, you may be able to find a 12mm ID, 15mm OD silicon tube which can be cut and used as an adapter. I did this with a 15mm ID, 20mm OD so I could use my Rycote shock mount to hold the bar, but I think I need a sturdier lyre.

Here are the links to products on amazon. If you're willing to wait you can get a lower priced / longer rod in 3-4 weeks.

15mm x 61 cm carbon fiber rod - https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Lightweight-Carbon-Fiber-1-5mm/dp/B07D6XK5TY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=15mm+carbon+fiber+rod+24+inch&qid=1672962547&sprefix=15mm+24%22+carbon+%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-3

15mm right angle clamp - https://www.amazon.com/CAMVATE-Right-Degree-Rotate-Camera/dp/B07B1TCQ39/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=right+angle+15mm+rod+clamp&qid=1672962288&sprefix=right+angle+15mm%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3

15mm x 2cm rod w/ 3/8 thread - https://www.amazon.com/CAMVATE-Micro-Female-Thread-Length/dp/B01LZ663R7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3OPR333PW1QY6&keywords=15mm+rod+3%2F8+thread&qid=1672962491&sprefix=15mm+rod+3%2F8+threa%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-3

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:59:44 PM by marcb »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com