Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading from CA-14 cards  (Read 5558 times)

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Upgrading from CA-14 cards
« on: August 07, 2023, 07:46:18 PM »
Been running CA-14 > CA9100 > R09HR for about a decade now.  I'm pleased with the quality of recordings I'm making, but I think it's time for an upgrade.  I'd like to keep with the same size microphone but looking for a little more "detail" in the recordings.  I've been looking at the SP and AT microphones, but that looks like more of a lateral move.  This will be for "007" recordings only.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Upgrading from CA-14 cards
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 01:28:33 PM »
Been running CA-14 > CA9100 > R09HR for about a decade now.  I'm pleased with the quality of recordings I'm making, but I think it's time for an upgrade.  I'd like to keep with the same size microphone but looking for a little more "detail" in the recordings.  I've been looking at the SP and AT microphones, but that looks like more of a lateral move.  This will be for "007" recordings only.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Mako

I was in your shoes just seven short years ago.  The only difference is that I was running this rig: CA-11 > CA9100 > R09HR.

Three or four years after that, I bought an AT853 package deal (Cards, 4.7k Y-Cable, Ext. Cable) from Ted (tgakidis) for $200.  So my rig became AT853 > CA9100 > R-07.  I used this rig for a few years and generally got good results; especially when I was really well positioned (yeah I know - Taper 101).

Three years ago, I bit the bullet and bought a new set of Schoeps MK41s (with the assistance of Schoeps account holder jerryfreak).  I also got a Baby / Platinum Nbox set along with active cables from Nick (schoepsnbox).  So my rig then became MK41 > Baby / Platinum Nbox > Sony A10.

I laid out around $3K for this last rig.  I'm retired, so that was a lot of cash to me.  In spite of that, I have absolutely zero regrets.  I finally upped my game to a level that I consistently find satisfying - even when I am not in or really even near the sweet spot.  I usually get out to tape once or twice a week.  Knowing that I'm going to get years (decades?) of use out of this rig making nice recordings is a how I like to think about it (especially when my wife reminds me how much I spent on it!).
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 06:46:14 PM »
^ This...   If you have the cash go for a Schoeps rig.  You won't feel the urge to upgrade again.  I made the move 30 years ago and just have bought additional capsules.

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 08:08:11 PM »

Thanks!!
Mako

I was in your shoes just seven short years ago.  The only difference is that I was running this rig: CA-11 > CA9100 > R09HR.

Three or four years after that, I bought an AT853 package deal (Cards, 4.7k Y-Cable, Ext. Cable) from Ted (tgakidis) for $200.  So my rig became AT853 > CA9100 > R-07.  I used this rig for a few years and generally got good results; especially when I was really well positioned (yeah I know - Taper 101).

Three years ago, I bit the bullet and bought a new set of Schoeps MK41s (with the assistance of Schoeps account holder jerryfreak).  I also got a Baby / Platinum Nbox set along with active cables from Nick (schoepsnbox).  So my rig then became MK41 > Baby / Platinum Nbox > Sony A10.

I laid out around $3K for this last rig.  I'm retired, so that was a lot of cash to me.  In spite of that, I have absolutely zero regrets.  I finally upped my game to a level that I consistently find satisfying - even when I am not in or really even near the sweet spot.  I usually get out to tape once or twice a week.  Knowing that I'm going to get years (decades?) of use out of this rig making nice recordings is a how I like to think about it (especially when my wife reminds me how much I spent on it!).

Thank you for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for.  Now its off to LMA to listen to some sample and web search for some visuals on size.. 

Thanks!!

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 08:12:35 PM »
I agree. I started with nakamichi and church audio mics. Then at mics and finally went Schoeps.
Still got my old mics, but thr Schoeps are the final upgrade.
You won't regret it.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 11:54:02 PM »

If you were to decide to go with mics that are not miniature lav mic size like the CA or AT type there are remote capsule options for a wide variety of other brands like Neumann, AKG, MBHO and others. If the Schoeps sound or price are not for you have a listen to some shows on the Archive with some of these other brands. I ran the AKG CK1X mics with a Naiant Tinybox for quite some time. I would put that combo up against a Schoeps active setup anytime and it was one third the price.

I agree with the other folks here that to get a significant jump in quality from the CA or AT mics you need to pony up for the upgrade to externally polarized condenser mic capsules and probably a custom setup to run them stealth like a Baby Nbox power supply with custom cables. The preference for Schoeps is personal and one that I don't necessarily agree with. I liked my MK41 caps but I liked my MBHO KA300 subcard caps better at less than half the price.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline robgronotte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 08:52:34 PM »
They're forgetting to give you the most important advice, although maybe it could be inferred - don't tell your wife how much you spent on the mics!

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 12:36:08 AM »
upgrading from those well known lav mics was always a question I had asked myself over the last years.
finally I made a compromise ... I bought of pair of LINE AUDIO CM3 which brought the quality of my recordings up and beside that I try to find the best spot at the venue
for taping which is another important fact to lift the recording result dramaticly.
Those CM3 mics (or the successor CM4) are noticable affordable than those named Schoeps, ... and trust me location is nearly as important as quality mics !
 :yahoo:
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline Dirtybiz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 12:20:57 PM »
I would consider DPA's if you can find them... I'm SUPER happy with my 4022's.

Mics:  DPA 4022's, Neuman AK40's & AK50's, AKG CK1X, CK3K & Oktava MC012's
Recorder: Sound Device Mixpre 6ii & Tascam DR-44WL

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2023, 01:33:29 PM »
upgrading from those well known lav mics was always a question I had asked myself over the last years.
finally I made a compromise ... I bought of pair of LINE AUDIO CM3 which brought the quality of my recordings up and beside that I try to find the best spot at the venue
for taping which is another important fact to lift the recording result dramaticly.
Those CM3 mics (or the successor CM4) are noticable affordable than those named Schoeps, ... and trust me location is nearly as important as quality mics !
Could you share a recording that you feel is representative of their quality? How do you power them?

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 12:47:51 AM »
Could you share a recording that you feel is representative of their quality? How do you power them?

this is my equipment chain:

Sony PCM-A10 (AUDIO IN) > 2x chopped  'GAKables' + Denecke PS-2 (1x9V) > 2x Line Audio CM3

sample will reach you

pillowman

RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2023, 09:52:12 PM »
They're forgetting to give you the most important advice, although maybe it could be inferred - don't tell your wife how much you spent on the mics!

My wife doesn't care.  We're in this together.  We go to shows together and she helps bring the gear in.  I've mentioned the mic upgrade and her response was "Get what you want.  Just make sure it's what you want."  She doesn't care about the details, she just wants a copy when it's done.

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 09:56:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far.  I've been researching all the suggestions, and it appears I'll be looking at about a 20mm microphone body.  It is larger than my CA19's which are about 12mm.  Can someone send me some links of what a "stealth" setup would look like?  I've read something aboujt "actives".  How do you power them?  How big is that device?

Thanks!!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 07:47:09 AM »

My wife doesn't care.  We're in this together.  We go to shows together and she helps bring the gear in.  I've mentioned the mic upgrade and her response was "Get what you want.  Just make sure it's what you want."  She doesn't care about the details, she just wants a copy when it's done.

She's a keeper, just like mine
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com