Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Software Reccomendations Needed.  (Read 1335 times)

Offline DaveG73

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Beer and Music.
Software Reccomendations Needed.
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »
I think it is time to invest in some software. I have so far only used Audacity (and CdWave) but it is a little limited for what I want to do.

I am running a 4 year old PC with Windows XP Home : Pentium 4 3.0Ghz

While it is getting old, I see no need to upgrade just yet, but I realise this may limit my options.

I am looking for something which is relatively straightforward as I am not overly skilled in the "post" area of work. I know both Audition and Samplitude are used quite a lot by members here but is there anything else I should be considering?

Ideally I would like to find something that will offer me a free trial so I can have a play around with it before paying out, as I need to make sure that I can actually use it, given my limited technical skills.

I realise that, like music, everyone has different tastes, but any suggestions would be welcome.

TIA

Dave.
Always Taping Under The Influence.

I was under the assumption that as a taper, we're all geeks?  I just thought it went with the territory?

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Software Reccomendations Needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:21:04 AM »
wavelab.  I have used most of the others and keep coming back.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:36:12 AM »
I've used Audition, WaveLab, and Samplitude fairly extensively.  I found Audition the most intuitive (for me), Samplitude by far the best workflow, and I didn't care at all for the WaveLab UI and workflow.  I know some people really like Sony Sound Forge, but I don't have any experience with it.  Price / performance, I think SAM SE offers the best bang for the buck, but it also has the slowest / steepest learning curve.  Not sure which are offering free demos these days, but a poke around their websites should address that easily enough.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:16:53 AM »
I can't address the differences between the packages, but I've been an Audition user for a long time since I grandfathered in from Cool Edit days.  What I can say is that Audition 3.0 seems to be a serious RAM hog compared to Audition 1.0, although 3.0 does alot better in workflow.  In other words, where 1.0 might take 10 minutes to convert a show from 24 bit to 16 bit, 3.0 does it quicker.  However, I seem to get far more computer lockups and slower overall multi-tasking performance when I'm using 3.0.  So, for my own purposes, I still use 1.0 and will probably keep using 1.0 until I upgrade my PC.  You said you have an older PC, so you should definitely get a test version of Audition before purchasing to make sure your machine can handle it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com