Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording 4-8 tracks simultainiously with a usb audio interface  (Read 20554 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
This is probably one of those dumb questions, but if your audio interface has 4-8 inputs, are you sending 4-8 individual tracks through the usb to the computer or is it two tracks? I have been reading all the promo materials out there, and it is probably simple, but I can't figure it out.

Also what are folks using for 4-8 track usb audio interfaces?
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Recording 4-8 tracks simultainiously with a usb audio interface
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:15:05 AM »
There are no dumb questions. You might not know the answer to it, but we all have more or less knowledge.

Each input is sent individually to the computer and recorded on its own track in the software. This allows you to process each input signal by itself and then to mix them together (setting volume and stereo panning individually). In order to do this you need a program that can handle multiple channels, fortunately a lot of them do that (Cubase, Sonar, ProTools LE, Samplitude, Audacity, Reaper, ... ) .

I guess people are using the interface they own. There are a lot of them to choose from with on the market, you probably need to be a bit more specific in order to get useable advice on what to use. Some people use the inbuilt mic preamps, some not. Some require really high sound quality, some not and are more constrained by costs. Some want the interface to control the listening as well having a volume control, others are using external equipment for that. And so on it goes.

General advice, your first buy should be a decent quality second hand interface. You learn a lot from that and once you are quite certain what you want you can sell it again and not loose any money (interfaces fall quickly in price once out of the store).

Gunnar

Offline JackHenry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:30:15 AM »
Are you recording to Windows PC or an Apple? What OS are you using XP, Vist, OSx etc.

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 05:02:30 AM »
General advice, your first buy should be a decent quality second hand interface. You learn a lot from that and once you are quite certain what you want you can sell it again and not loose any money (interfaces fall quickly in price once out of the store)

what would some examples be, on the lower end of things.  it would be going into a windows machine, and require no more than 10 tracks.

ive wanted to jump into this for sometime (the band i work for gives me access, and i wish to use it).

thanks in advance!
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:08:05 AM »
My need is to be able to record amplified acoustic guitars (a few), amplified violin, bass (probably electric), and 2-3 vocals. Folk-rock, more towards the rootsy side of things might describe it, although the fiddle player has Hendrix as a role model and plays through an effects pedal.  8)

I want to have a dedicated PC laptop running XP. I would like a degree of portability, but this would probably be more a 'studio' oriented setup. I like the live 2 channel sound I can get for them from the equipment I already have, but need to have better control over the individual instrument and vocal tracks to get the mix I want.

I got tangled up in looking at the boxes, seeing the usb, but seeing a L-R xlr output, which might go to monitors, and reading features that talked about stereo output. My fear was that I'd get the same stereo 2 channel mix that I'm already getting where I can't pump up the vocals without pumping up the instruments.

Size than $$ is the deciding factor, after quality. Preamps would be good, but I have the apogee. Compression would be a plus as the lead vocalist is very difficult to get levels on. A little reverb might be another plus, but for the most part, clean signal, stability and doable of post production is what I believe I'm looking for.

Thanks for the info and letting me think out loud.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:10:43 PM by intpseeker »
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:15:27 AM »
So. USB, reasonably portable, 8 inputs.

That sort of narrows down the choice quite a bit. I am no expert on the market and there has to be about a million different ones to choose from. My personal experience is with firewire units, then there are quite a lot more to choose from. I cannot enough recommend the Fireface 800 I currently run -- getting a fireface interface for your laptop is not expensive in any way. Rambling on ...

Now, one example, never seen in real world, M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra 8R  (why do they name things that funny). Quite impressive feature set and not in the esoteric price category.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra8R.html

There are a few things to look for in the specs. Like:
- number of channels (they generally give you max 8 inputs, any more you need one more box with digital out, Behringer ADA8000 is a perfect starting box then).
- some kind of built-in mixer functionality to create monitor mixes when needed
- headphone outputs and such
- compatibility with mac/pc and or special programs (like the ProTools M-powered software package).

The built-in effects of these boxes may look like a good idea on paper, but in real world they are not really worth that much.

The most important aspect though is never shown in manufacturers data sheets -- stability with your hardware. Some of the historical boxes never really worked. Do check up on forums and do try ask for a return policy when buying.

This might turn out to be a long search to find the perfect match.
My advice still is for you to go for a decent quality used box, if necessary adding a fireface interface to your computer. This will allow you to learn a lot on how to choose the interface of your dreams then selling your first buy with little or no loss.

// Gunnar

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:07 AM »
alright....another question (thanks for the input by the way!!!)

if one were to buy the behringet ADA8000, what would you need to go from the interface to the computer?

it appears to have a TOSLINK optical ADAT out, but no firewire or usb.

once again, thanks in advance!
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
I would recommend using a firewire interface rather than USB.  While USB 2 is technically faster than fw400, it operates in a burst mode that is not ideal for audio transmission.

You'll be able to achieve higher track counts and probably a higher degree of reliability with firewire.

do you need preamps as well, or are you planning to take line level outs from another source (external preamps, console, etc)?

there are a ton of options out there, depending on your specific needs.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
I would recommend using a firewire interface rather than USB.  While USB 2 is technically faster than fw400, it operates in a burst mode that is not ideal for audio transmission.

You'll be able to achieve higher track counts and probably a higher degree of reliability with firewire.

do you need preamps as well, or are you planning to take line level outs from another source (external preamps, console, etc)?

there are a ton of options out there, depending on your specific needs.

agreed.
USB is probably the worst type of interface to use for audio.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
if one were to buy the behringet ADA8000, what would you need to go from the interface to the computer?
I would see the ADA8000 as an expansion to your sound card. Used that way it adds 8 more channels to the ones already in the sound card. The connection between the two is optical ADAT. That is same optical cable used for SPDIF but a slightly different protocol -- a box that only knows about SPDIF will not understand ADAT (some are switchable).

// Gunnar

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
I'm venturing into this arena myself, with an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire.  Now, if I only had time to sit down and play with it.  I've heard good things about Reaper (software) and am going to try it, because Cubase LE looked a little cumbersome.  The mixer is nice and compact, has decent pre's, and can be had for <$300.  It's also available in a 12 ch, IIRC.

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »
Is firewire firewire, whether on a mac or pc? I know there is 4 and 6 pin. Is this a consideration?

while everything I own is usb, I like the firewire units for features, at least on paper.
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 05:06:04 PM »
yes, firewire is firewire.

4 pin is simply unpowered, which means the device can't be bus powered and you have to use an AC adapter.

6 pin and 9 pin will supply power, so the computer can potentially bus-power the device eliminating the need for AC (technically).

Most Windows laptops are 4 pin integrated.  Most Macs are 6 and 9.  The protocol is the same either way though.

If your machine has available expansion, you can always buy an add on firewire card of course.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:05:14 PM »
if your audio interface has 4-8 inputs, are you sending 4-8 individual tracks through the usb to the computer or is it two tracks?

as for your original post...it all depends on your interface. the interface may have 2 mic inputs, 2 TRS inputs, digi in, but it may only pass a stereo signal. you need to look for a unit that specifies simultaneous recording or pass through of multiple tracks.

for example the edirol UA-5 has two mic ins, and two rca ins and a two stereo digi ins, but it cannot pass 6 separate feeds into your computer. it will only pass a stereo pair. on the other hand, the M-Audio Firewire 1814 (and i use this a a reference since I own one) has 2 xlr inputs,, 8 TRS inputs, adat in (8 track), spdif in, and you can theoretically feed your firewire equipped pc/mac with 18 channels.

good luck and have fun
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »
if your audio interface has 4-8 inputs, are you sending 4-8 individual tracks through the usb to the computer or is it two tracks?

as for your original post...it all depends on your interface. the interface may have 2 mic inputs, 2 TRS inputs, digi in, but it may only pass a stereo signal. you need to look for a unit that specifies simultaneous recording or pass through of multiple tracks.

for example the edirol UA-5 has two mic ins, and two rca ins and a two stereo digi ins, but it cannot pass 6 separate feeds into your computer. it will only pass a stereo pair. on the other hand, the M-Audio Firewire 1814 (and i use this a a reference since I own one) has 2 xlr inputs,, 8 TRS inputs, adat in (8 track), spdif in, and you can theoretically feed your firewire equipped pc/mac with 18 channels.

good luck and have fun

Thanks for the info. This is the sticking point. When I read the info about a unit, I'm not sure what I should be looking for in all the I/O details they give you. Some actually say, as above, that it will record 2 channel stereo pair.

I just read the promo info on the M-Audio Firewire 1814, and I'm still not sure which part tells me it will record 4-8 channels separately.

I read all the documentation and fell pretty freaking dumb that I can't seem to suss out how many discrete channels will be passed to the computer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:24:02 PM by intpseeker »
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com