Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi ($35 computer)  (Read 18129 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Raspberry Pi ($35 computer)
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:23:59 PM »
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Has anyone gotten one of these yet. I realize they just came out. I have one on order and it should be here in a couple of weeks.

The first one will be turned into a torrent / media server. That should be fairly easy. I'll probably just install Fedora Linux on it (it only runs Linux).

Eventually though, I'd like to make a portable machine that has an audio input and you can control via a remote desktop on my smart phone that I can use to stream shows. It's USB powered, so power isn't an issue. Getting the internet hooked up to it shouldn't be too hard.

Things I need to figure out:

1. Remote Desktop. Not sure if an app for Android exists to remote desktop onto the Raspberry Pi. If it doesn't, I'm sure with this little device someone will make a way.
2. Audio input. The way it comes now, it only has audio out. It does have a USB input, so I could get a USB audio interface for it. I'd like it to be fairly small (around the same size at the computer case would be ideal...then I need to get one that actually works with Linux. It seems what I've found so far is Windoz/Mac only, but that may just be what they officially support. Obviously it's fairly common for people to make unofficial Linux drivers.
3. Wireless Network connection. I'd be either hooking up to a venue's interweb connection, or use my phone's hotspot. No idea if this exists either. Hoping I can find a USB solution here as well.

I may be in over my head...but that's part of what make's it fun.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Raspberry Pi ($35 computer)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »
You could probably build a GPIO Sound Card - for audio input

For streaming you could use a Ethernet to Wireless bridge as well.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
Leap morning day I was ready to order one but both distributors who were selling had their sites unavailable due to ddos and they were not even selling the pi. Fortunately, my interest was registered and I ordered one at the beginning of the month so I'm also hoping it shows up soon.

For wifi, maybe you could use a usb wifi device in one of the free usb ports. I'm sure you would be able to use vnc to control the device or you could use a terminal app on your phone and ssh into it.

possible streaming solution:
mics > usbpre amp like sound devices usbpre2 or ua5 > pi connected to wifi
Then you would ssh on your phone to run a script to start sending the audio out to the streaming provider. I'm not quite sure how this would work with only livestream.com so this would be more suited for a CDN like scaleengine.com

still a lot to figure out and there's no wrong way to do this. Have fun!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
For wifi, maybe you could use a usb wifi device in one of the free usb ports. I'm sure you would be able to use vnc to control the device or you could use a terminal app on your phone and ssh into it.

Thats what I was going to suggest. I think this is something that would work best as a kick-off-the-script setup. One thing I'd investigate is an app for the Pi that will immediately email an ip address (to you) when it finds a wireless network to connect to. That way you don't have to burn spectrum having the Pi broadcast a wireless signal if there is already one available. I guess you could have it act as a wifi server first, you connect, force it to connect to a different wireless server (the AP in the room), shut down the temp wireless AP, then start up the streaming, but that seems kludgy to me.

Ideal would be having your android connect to the server over usb. I know it's possible to reverse tether your phone (so it uses the PC's internet connection) over usb, but I havn't sat down to look at how to just bridge that so you can get a login prompt or if you have to do the full reverse tether to get it.

possible streaming solution:
mics > usbpre amp like sound devices usbpre2 or ua5 > pi connected to wifi
Then you would ssh on your phone to run a script to start sending the audio out to the streaming provider. I'm not quite sure how this would work with only livestream.com so this would be more suited for a CDN like scaleengine.com

I'd go the CDN route, I think you have more options that way. Tapers.org has a setup like that, and many VPS/CDN providers would let you install a shoutcast server on your slice.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
Very cool looking product. I've been wanting to return to running a tiny Linux box as my home router/firewall & for $35 + whatever a USB ethernet costs this might be it. I kept trying to goto http://www.raspberrypi.com/ and always find it's down, but I guess you're meant to order through their resellers. Let us know once someone has one in hand how it works.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »
www.raspberrypi.ORG for the blog site and all the information! the .com hasn't had any information since I've been following this in December.
The .org lists the two places you can order from and the shipping to the states will be ~$5-7 from what I remember reading.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:16 PM »
$35 for a computer!?

Thanks, but I'll wait for the Groupon for it.     ;)
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
If you can't find a RDP client for your droid there might be a vnc client for it.
Good luck with the wifi, So far there are only 3 chipsets supported.

$35 for a computer!?

Thanks, but I'll wait for the Groupon for it.     ;)
the model A is only 25, doubt you'll find a groupon for it  :P
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 01:02:16 AM »
This will let you tether a computer to use an Android phone's network connection:
http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

Free android app, requires software on the computer side as well.. and right now, it's only Win/Mac.  I wonder if you could run the Windows version under WINE?
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »
Very intriguing.  Anyone here have experience with running one of these?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »
Very intriguing.  Anyone here have experience with running one of these?

Not many out there yet. They had an issue getting it though EU CE (standards). They are starting to ship now.

I should have mine at the end of June.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
^^ Cool.  Would definitely like to hear your thoughts after you drive it around the track a few times.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
I have one and wine won't work. Keep in mind the RAM is only 256MB.
Its very easy to install one of the distros on it and get it up and running and you're able to install packages just like you would on a  desktop.
I was hoping to use this to stream audio but adobe flash media live encoder is mac/win only so I'm not certain if there's a way to stream easily.

I haven't attempted wireless just yet on it but hopefully one of the wireless cards i have works. One thing I overlooked was USB for power, its micro not mini so its being powered by a swindle charger right now. 

This is a great way to try out the few supported distros since you don't have to burn CDs, partition disks, take a long time installing, etc.

I believe the only difference between model A and B is ethernet.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
I was hoping to use this to stream audio but adobe flash media live encoder is mac/win only so I'm not certain if there's a way to stream easily.

look at icecast/shoutcast and an ogg vorbis stream. Takes a bit more bandwidth, but not much more. If you have fiber/fios at home, that should be enough for the typical taper stream in place of the ustream servers.

edit: added clarification
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:05:39 AM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com