Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Duncan Track-Spilt Protocol  (Read 5058 times)

Offline taperdave

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • my ring of brass lies rusting on the ground
Re: The Duncan Track-Spilt Protocol
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
I am firmly in the "track banter separately please" camp.
Maybe the bands I tape are too talkative, but I would much rather listen to everything once, and if it gets to live on in my archive, I toss the complete recording on the NAS and the songs only on my iPhone, life is too short and my listening opportunities too few to listen to intro and stories ad nauseum.

I track with all but the briefest intros as separate tracks, if anybody wants to listen straight through, your device will probably do that pretty easily.
Dave

I am sure in a civilized forum we can all agree that my way is right  :D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 01:06:50 AM »
Of course.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »

Is there a standard for track splitting because there should be

Which is why the standard is (and should be): I record it and track it, I track it how I like it. You record it and track it, you track it to make yourself happy and I live with it.  That seems like a fair enough trade off to me.  And adding of course, if you don't record, track, and distribute, you've got no right to bitch, so keep your comments to yourself on bit torrent sites or whatever. (This latter corollary not directed at those on this board, of course.  :) )

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, which of course I am, but I will continue to track in a way that suits my desires (which of course reflect how I listen to music, whether I use shuffle play, or set up playlists, or whatever), and I totally expect and respect that others may want to do it differently.

^^ that is well said

You can save a cue file along with your one long track.

a great way to have your splits where you want them but also allowing someone you send the file to to easily split where they want if they don't like your split points

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 07:39:39 AM »

Is there a standard for track splitting because there should be

Which is why the standard is (and should be): I record it and track it, I track it how I like it. You record it and track it, you track it to make yourself happy and I live with it.  That seems like a fair enough trade off to me.  And adding of course, if you don't record, track, and distribute, you've got no right to bitch, so keep your comments to yourself on bit torrent sites or whatever. (This latter corollary not directed at those on this board, of course.  :) )

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, which of course I am, but I will continue to track in a way that suits my desires (which of course reflect how I listen to music, whether I use shuffle play, or set up playlists, or whatever), and I totally expect and respect that others may want to do it differently.

^^ that is well said

You can save a cue file along with your one long track.

a great way to have your splits where you want them but also allowing someone you send the file to to easily split where they want if they don't like your split points

Even w/o a CUE, it only takes a few minutes to JOIN (2) tracks in SHNTOOLs and make a new Track Mark in CDWave...

I honestly don't like having a "t01" that is crowd noise, b/c it makes the first "real" track "t02".  But if that's what needs to happen, so be it...

That being said, I pretty much track my stuff like Duncan suggests... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
For the sake of simplicity I suggest we all adhere to the Sony/Phillips Red Book CD standard and just bust up everything in to chunks of 99 tracks per CD.

Problem solved.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com