Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24bit to 16bit  (Read 7386 times)

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
Re: 24bit to 16bit
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2004, 11:07:13 AM »

Just a quick comment.

Brute force conversion from 24 bits down to 16 by just chopping off the 8 lowest bits, should not result in your problems: the 16 most significant bits would remain the same.

But if the program you are using is applying dither to the trunacation process it could attempt
to add a little bit of "noise" to an already full scale 16 bit sample. Half the time that "noise"
is positive and the full scale sample "overflows".

I think, with some reservations due to a hasty read :-), that the problem here is how your
program deals with adding a small value to a full scale sample. Ideally it should remain full scale
(no change).  It sounds as if your program has a diffrent policy on what to do with overflows.

Any chance we could see a display of the samples?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2004, 05:04:51 PM »
used wavelab, dithered it down to 16bit/44.1, no issues this time, just starting using it, but wavlab is damn cool
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2004, 05:16:42 PM »
;D

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2004, 09:18:01 PM »
yes, very  ;D..thanks again...+T
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Marc Nutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2004, 08:40:42 AM »
Simply put, the digital world allows 6 db of dynamic information per bit.  So, a 16 bit recording allows 96 db of info, while a 24 bit recording allows 144 db.  Sooooo... when folks say you don't need to push the levels in 24 bit recording, this is simply because even if you're peaking out at -18 db you're still capturing 126 db of info which is still a higher resolution than a perfectly set 16 bit recording. 

You should still shoot to set levels perfectly as the more detail in the recording the better, but if it's a question of setting levels higher and potentially clipping the recording vs setting levels conservatively I'd go with a conservative set. 

Perfectly said.
Oh course, since many of our recordings are being transferred to 16-bit without level adjustments, only dithering, peaks around -6db for what most of us record are still quite nice.

Still, I'm with you.  It's better to be a bit low than the clip.

Marc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com