Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop tapers speak up!  (Read 7197 times)

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
Re: Laptop tapers speak up!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 10:05:54 AM »
dpa 4060>mic2496>Audigy 2 zs notebook via pcmcia>Wavelab @ 2496

I know most don't want to go w/ the Audigy, but I'm just blown away by what I'm getting. The definition at 2496 for classical is staggering. I DO notice a diff between 96 and 44.1. Strings just jump out at you. You can hear the bow on the string, even in a large hall.

MY problem is that I really need a mme's compression scheme, I think. My dynamic range is just too wide. I spoke w/ a sound engineer in NYC and he suggested I not use more than 25dbl difference for orchestra recordings and what I'm getting WAY more than that. Makes mastering very hard for my purposes.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Weekendshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Laptop tapers speak up!
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2005, 03:37:49 PM »
So who's doing field recording via laptop and what all are you using?

I've been doing it for about 4-5 months now and would like to hear how others are doing the same, especially what hardware/software.

Thanks!

Started using a laptop early March myself...

15" 1.67GHz G4 Powerbook, 2 gigs RAM, 100 gig HD (will sometimes run an extra external hd), 10.3.9

Digital Performer or Audio Desk

Motu Traveler (done single mics up to 8 line-ins so far)

About the same time, I also picked up an M-Box with ProTools but resent how PT doesn't work unless the h/w is connected where as DP will let you work without its h/w connected so the M-Box and PT may be going on e-bay.  Dunno...

What's nice about this setup is that I'm able to import tracks recorded off of other gear, get them synch'd and get some post production work done in the park or at the pub.  Also able to lug the laptop around to various other monitors & playback systems--alot cheaper than buying more monitors!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com