Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mac or Windows?  (Read 7302 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Mac or Windows?
« on: January 01, 2006, 10:25:44 AM »
ok I know this is not for recording purposes but I have to know. I am going to college next year and I need a laptop. I have been looking at both iBook G4 and a Sony Viaos. can anyone tell me which one you think is better? I will also when I am at school be taping somewhat when I have the time.  So my laptop has to be able to transfer pretty good too. But more importantly they have to be able to do schoolwork. since I am not a Mac guy and my whole family has Windows, can apple computers use microsoft word, excel etc.? I mean if they can do that then the hell with windows. another question is that I have herd apple is more user friendly and interface friendly? Thanks for the input people!

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re: Mac or Windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 12:36:16 PM »
Ryan, Microsoft makes a version of office 2004 for the mac. Very similar in features (many of which have found their way into the newest version of office for the PC). You know I'm a mac guy and will recomend the iBook. But there will be alot of other input from both sides. I've used both for years and I simply prefer using my mac way more than a windows machine.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 01:10:25 PM »
I am not with bias either (I worked for Apple for 10 years), but with Microsoft Office for Mac, there really isn't a whole lot you do need the PC for EXCEPT specialized software. At the University of Texas the School of Business requires a Windows PC (actually they want you to buy a Dell from them), and part of it you can get by with the iBook for, but there are a few specific titles you must use that they provide that only work on the PC (I forget the specific titles at the moment), which was a big deal to the Apple Reps who worked at U.T.

Mac OS X is based on BSD Unix, and that has helped bring some much needed software to the Mac in the world of academia. However, you really should check with the university you are going to attend and verify with them that if you choose to use an iBook that they don't use software not available for that platform. Some universities are better than others when it comes to accomodating both major desktop platforms (linux is making a dent in the server world, but having used it, I would never run it as a desktop platform. It's great for a server environment though).

Hope this helps.

Wayne

BTW, the rest of my family is Windows based too. The best part is when my dad calls me for tech support I get to tell him to buzz off (actually I usually tell him to call my other brother who helped run a windows IT department for a while), because even if I do know the answer I don't feel like trying to walk him through the hell of windows troubleshooting.
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
Thanks guys for the input. I know that where I am going (Wayne State) that they use Mac and they are moving towards it. they only do the discount for the mac computers. so instead of $1200 for the ibook its like $860. which is nice. I probably should ask the admissions counselors about the computer they prefer at the university. I am thinking its mac.  :)

so with the mac you do not see any difference in the office features? is there any difference in them? thanks again guys.

how about transfering music?  ;) mac?

Ryan
+T

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 09:51:54 PM »
there are a ton of mac users here.  we wouldn't be using the macs if they sucked with audio :)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
With that kind of discount you'd be crazy NOT to get an ibook.  I've had mine for a few months and love it.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »
With that kind of discount you'd be crazy NOT to get an ibook.  I've had mine for a few months and love it.

qft

and it sounds like they are going in the mac direction...

i still havent figured out to track with a mac (like cdwav), but i can do everything else related to audio, no problem....

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
i still havent figured out to track with a mac (like cdwav), but i can do everything else related to audio, no problem....

CD Wav is the only program that I really miss when I made the switch over to Apple.  For the time being, I use Audacity, but it is a royal PITA for tracking compared to CD Wav.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 01:56:12 PM »
I actually installed virtual PC  on my apple for just this reason.  I use it to run CDWav to chop up audio files.  Works great for that. 
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »
is virtual pc a free program..?

do you have a link..?

+t for oferring a solution. (and a +t for patrick for trying to use audacity for tracking - that is a royal pta, and i wouldnt wish the experience on anyone)...

_____

for ryan's purposes, i think he should go with the mac, and pay through his school.

-macdaddy ++

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:06 PM »
No it's a pay for program.  We initally bought it for my wife to use on her mac to run a couple of research statistic programs.  But since we had it I figured I would give it a shot for CDWav on my G4.  It works just fine.  Its a little slow, but much better than tracking on any mac program (mostly cause Im too lazy to try to learn :P ).  I also use it to run SMAARTlive sometimes when im doing FOH work. 
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »
No it's a pay for program.  We initally bought it for my wife to use on her mac to run a couple of research statistic programs.  But since we had it I figured I would give it a shot for CDWav on my G4.  It works just fine.  Its a little slow, but much better than tracking on any mac program (mostly cause Im too lazy to try to learn :P ).  I also use it to run SMAARTlive sometimes when im doing FOH work. 

I looked into Virtual PC and it didn't seem worth buying it, especially to run one or two programs on it.  Audacity is tough, but you get used to it.  You basically highlight the section that you want to split, and save that selection as a separate wav file, and then delete that highlighted section after saving. 

If anyone has Virtual PC that they would like to share  ;) ;) let me know.  Just to see how it works... :)

Depechemode1993

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
Yeah when I saw the discount price I really wanted to jump on it. it sucks that CD wav will not work on the mac though... thats how I transfer and track my shows. I use adobe audiiton to edit.

I recently just yesterday discovered iTunes... I should have picked up that program along time ago. what a nice layout. it so much better than Limewire and I can rip all of my CD's to my computer. I feel like I am a caveman of technology...

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 05:02:27 PM »
i would use scott brown's program rather than itunes to rip CDs...

how you play them is up to you...

the pspware works nicely with a mac, too (if you have a psp)...
-macdaddy ++

Depechemode1993

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 08:44:09 PM »
i would use scott brown's program rather than itunes to rip CDs...

whats that?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com