Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Duh ... teach me basic editing?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline stvgray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Start at the beginning....
Duh ... teach me basic editing?
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:09:21 PM »
I'm in the Boston area, and I'm looking for somebody to give me some basic training in processing shows using Audacity.

Unless there's some kind of basic instruction guide on how do this -- something I haven't found so far -- I think I need human help.

Here's the background: I've been recording about three years, but I've always recorded to DAT and dubbed the recordings off to an audio CDR.

Now i've bought a JB3 and I've done a couple shows with it. I've worked through the JB3 connectivity issues and transferred the files to my PC.

I'm reasonably computer-savvy, but I've never done any digital editing. When I doodle around in Audacity, it's totally obvious that somebody who's done this before could show me an organized approach and save me from making lots of stupid mistakes.

My needs aren't complicated -- just want to track out the shows, maybe normalize the levels.

I live in Canton, south of Boston. Anybody in the area and willing spend an afternoon running down the basics?

Steve
AKG 460s - DIY digi-mod UA5 - JB3 or DAP-1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Duh ... teach me basic editing?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 01:23:11 PM »
My needs aren't complicated -- just want to track out the shows, maybe normalize the levels.

Sorry, dunno how to track in Audacity.  But I do recommend shareware CD-Wave for tracking.  Doesn't get any easier, IMO, and only $15 if you try it and like it.

Normalizing in Audacity:

• Select the section you wish to normalize (presumably the entire recording)
  • From the main menu:  Effects | Amplify
  • Set the New Peak Amplitude (dB) to 0.0, or 0.1 or some number close to 0 dB
  • The app will adjust the Amplification (dB) field to whatever gain is required to achieve the new peak amplitude
  • Press OK

Or alternatively:

• Select the section you wish to normalize (presumably the entire recording)
  • From the main menu:  Effects | Normalize
  • Ensure the Remove any DC offset checkbox is ticked
  • Ensure the Normalize maximum amplitude  to -3 dB checkbox is ticked
  • Press OK
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com