Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620  (Read 121381 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tapers Section World Scoop (LOL) - Marantz PMD620
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2007, 09:28:06 AM »
Thanks.
But unless I'm not very well informed, there's no way to avoid the "hey-I'm-taping-here" red light. Am I right or wrong?
Thanks in advance ;D
The manual says "LEDs off" is possible...I´ll tell you tomorrow.
Anyway..a black Gaffa-tape hides the red light.

How are you doing, my friend? Yes, the old black tape trick...
I understand the "leds off" controls the leds only (level and over).But maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for your comments. I'll end up buying this one anyways. I just can't help myself. ;D

;D Don´t forget to sell your existing gear! ;)
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
Thanks.
But unless I'm not very well informed, there's no way to avoid the "hey-I'm-taping-here" red light. Am I right or wrong?
Thanks in advance ;D
The manual says "LEDs off" is possible...I´ll tell you tomorrow.
Anyway..a black Gaffa-tape hides the red light.

How are you doing, my friend? Yes, the old black tape trick...
I understand the "leds off" controls the leds only (level and over).But maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for your comments. I'll end up buying this one anyways. I just can't help myself. ;D

;D Don´t forget to sell your existing gear! ;)

Speaking of which...Where is the brand new HLSC-1 pair? Gone already? ;D
But, no, I'll keep my trusty ;D ;D ;D R-09. I'm one of the lucky ones that never had a problem with the faulty inputs.
Mind you, I was considering buying a new R-09 as a back-up. But with the new Marantz, well...you know.
Let me know about your field test!
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

There are four sources of light on the PMD620: 1. level LED, 2. over LED, 3. red ring around record button (the "hey-I'm-taping-here" red light), and 4. the OLED screen.  The 'LED off' option in the pre-sets shuts off 1 - 3, but not 4.  The OLED has a separate brightness setting (1 - 10).  I have asked Marantz if they will do a firmware update to allow auto-off on the OLED, but haven't heard back yet...

EDIT:  But on '1', the OLED is pretty discrete, especially with the sort of blue-ish letters on black background...Not a problem for most people, I think.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:15:55 PM by aaronji »

Roving Sign

« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2007, 01:32:08 PM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

EDIT:  But on '1', the OLED is pretty discrete, especially with the sort of blue-ish letters on black background...Not a problem for most people, I think.

Man - I would think in todays world of cellphones, PDAs ,etc...a recorder is about the LAST think anyone is going to assume...always seems to be no shortage of people fooling with their phones at shows - lights blinking etc...(depends on the setting obviously)

Todays stealther has it made!

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

Yes LEDs 1/2/3(red REC-ring) OFF sounds great and I wouldn´t like the OLED(4) being totally dark/off neither.

Man - I would think in todays world of cellphones, PDAs ,etc...a recorder is about the LAST think anyone is going to assume...always seems to be no shortage of people fooling with their phones at shows - lights blinking etc...(depends on the setting obviously)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

Hey, you're probably right. But being caught with an actual recorder is the LAST think I'd like to worry my mind with. One thing is being asked "what is that?" by a huge security guy when you have an ordinary cell phone in your hands. But a digital recorder with plugs, wires, battery box, all that hidden under your shirt, man, that's a whole different situation.
Take care and good luck

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »
I don´t hold the recorder in my hands when stealthing BUT i alwyas am able to check levels with my technique of stealthing ;).

Usually you know your gear and the venue and set the correct levels in advance and during the 1st song I do a short check of the levels and then I enjoy the show.
After 21 years of successful stealthing (never got caught) that´s no problem for me.
Recently a security guy stood right in front of me during the whole show..maybe at 5 feet distance, he couldn´t see anything ;).

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:19:43 PM by Arni99 »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »
Thanks.
Thanks in advance ;D

Hey, you're probably right. But being caught with an actual recorder is the LAST think I'd like to worry my mind with. One thing is being asked "what is that?" by a huge security guy when you have an ordinary cell phone in your hands. But a digital recorder with plugs, wires, battery box, all that hidden under your shirt, man, that's a whole different situation.
Take care and good luck

With the screen brightness set to '1', I think it is considerably less bright than the average mobile phone...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
Friends,

I'm not trying to argue about stealth skills. I have my own tricks too. ;) But that's not the point. I'm just asking if the red light could be turned off or hidden with black tape( my good friend Arni already told me so). If not, no problem at all. When I started to use my R-09, the hey-I'm-taping-here light was always On. A piece of black tape took care of this issue. No sweat.
I'm a man of simple tastes and simple questions.

Thanks a lot ;D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »
Here is another little tid-bit on the PMD620...Using a pair of fresh Duracells, I got about seven hours of record time using the internal mics.  Formatted the card, made some menu selections, then recorded an entire 4 GB card (6 hours 23 minutes at 16 bit/44.1 kHz), erased the file and started recording again (around 45 minutes).  So not quite continuous recording time, but definitely continuous use...

I guess with mic plug-in, it would be quite a bit less; with line-in a bit more.  With some nice rechargeables, I think you get a pretty long record time...

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »
Here is another little tid-bit on the PMD620...Using a pair of fresh Duracells, I got about seven hours of record time using the internal mics.  Formatted the card, made some menu selections, then recorded an entire 4 GB card (6 hours 23 minutes at 16 bit/44.1 kHz), erased the file and started recording again (around 45 minutes).  So not quite continuous recording time, but definitely continuous use...

I guess with mic plug-in, it would be quite a bit less; with line-in a bit more.  With some nice rechargeables, I think you get a pretty long record time...

Thanks for all the great info. But there's something I must confess: I'm a lost case.
I'd buy this recorder anyways. Actually, next week I'll have one in my hands.
I just can't help it :) Plus, so far I've only heard good things about the new Marantz.
Thanks! ;D

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2007, 09:03:01 AM »
Mine hasn´t arrived yet, hopefully tomorrow Friday ???.
At least I was able to purchase an 8GB SD-HC Transcend card today. ;)
later...

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:05:06 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2007, 10:37:02 AM »
later...

Hey Arni, can you use that 8GB with the Marantz? I mean, without file splits? ???
This is awesome :o
Take care,

Sergio

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »
later...

Hey Arni, can you use that 8GB with the Marantz? I mean, without file splits? ???
This is awesome :o
Take care,

Sergio
Sure, the SD card size determines the filesize...no 2GB splits as we know from the R09, irivers, Microtracks, etc...aaron hast tested this yet with his 4GB card resulting in a 3.78GB file.

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
Has anyone seen the insides of one of these yet? I'm curious about how the jacks are mounted to the PCB.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com