Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps CMR Rig - Tinybox/MK4/CMR- Sarah Mclachlan Samples from 3/12/2011  (Read 70530 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - First Run last night 3/19 - SWEEEEEEEEET
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2010, 02:04:26 PM »
So is Robb's Littlebox powering these with 12V then?
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
So is Robb's Littlebox powering these with 12V then?

They run on the 9v rail which also supplies the 1/8 in, thats what Jon told me from Naiant

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
There is no bb when running into the littlebox so like any other mics, they plug right into the pre and in "less than open" situations just a bb and recorder, it seems people think you have to have abb but you don't use it with the pre

True, I just mentioned a batt box since it would be smaller than a pre, so that the smallest configuration you can run would be caps > CMR > batt box (or a larger pre) > recorder.

You can run CCMs into many small recorders...all is takes is phantom power.  You can have that as there are plenty of small recorders with phantom power available.  I just want to swap the caps out too :)

I see, basically you want a CCM with interchangeable caps, which would awesome.  But I also would like the ability to run directly into a smaller recorder that doesn't supply P48 as even the smallest all-in-one boxes (FR2LE, 660/661) are significantly larger than non-phantom providing recorders (R-09HR, M10).  Although I guess the problem with this (and the CMR) is that it would be unbalanced, but that shouldn't be a big issue when running 15' should it?

I agree, the simplest setup is:
   Caps > CMR > bbox > flash recorder

For loud shows, Edirol is fine.  For quieter shows, Sony PCM-M10.

This is the smallest setup, and it would sound great.  I really see no need to have a littlebox (or any other pre) in there.  The mic inputs on the Edirol and Sony are both excellent sounding.  And if you need a quiet input, the M10 is hard to beat.  So, there is no point putting an extra pre in there.  It does not add anything, and could (potentially) distort if you brickwall, or if the battery goes low, or ...

Nothing against the littlebox.  If I needed to power (P48) mics or if I needed more gain, I would certainly use this box.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
I really see no need to have a littlebox (or any other pre) in there.  The mic inputs on the Edirol and Sony are both excellent sounding.  And if you need a quiet input, the M10 is hard to beat.  So, there is no point putting an extra pre in there.

I think that assumes too much; it needs to be confirmed with a comp.  The above paragraph implies multiple scenarios:

1. That the M10 sounds as good as other a/d devices when run behind a great pre-amp.

That the M10 is quiet is great, but that is not the same as "excellent sounding".  The 7xx a/d is "excellent sounding".  Is the m10 *that* good?  That would be a nice surprise, but I would not assume so.

Does the r09 a/d sound as good as the 7xx a/d?  Having owned and compared both against each other, and against the v3's internal a/d, I'd say no.  It sounds good, probably even "very good".  Does the m10 sound as good as the r09 when used as an a/d behind a great pre-amp?  How about the 7xx?  I'd really like to know.

What happens when you turn the m10 down to the lowest gain setting, so it can take a hotter signal?  Signal levels like you might get from a psp2, or a v3 simultaneously recording to the internal a/d.  Does the m10 distort?  How does it sound subjectively?

2. That the internal gain from "mic input" (m10 or r09) is as good as an external pre.

It would be interesting to hear how internal gain from either unit compares to our favorite external pre-amps.   My experience (and preferences) have shown time and again that the 7xx sounds better with an external pre-amp.   So I'd be very pleasantly surprised if any of the sub $300 handholds does better.

Surely by now someone has a v3+bitbucket, an M10, and an itch to test?

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 05:49:11 PM »
So..  Just to be clear, is the CMR polarization voltage 48v or 60v?

I'd also like to know the answer to this. I've always assumed 48V but never seen it documented anywhere.

Also, I thought the CMR required 9V for some reason. There is someone on this board who uses the CMRs with an Oade bat box into a 620. If they worked with 5V, I don't think they would have needed that with the 620. They could probably answer that question.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »

I'd also like to know the answer to this. I've always assumed 48V but never seen it documented anywhere.

Also, I thought the CMR required 9V for some reason. There is someone on this board who uses the CMRs with an Oade bat box into a 620. If they worked with 5V, I don't think they would have needed that with the 620. They could probably answer that question.

Nottingham has that setup, the bb was made by oade and i asked why not run them straight into the 620 as well, seems like it would work but he said it couldn't, thats why earlier i asked if Dsatz could chime in and let us know if it was possible.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »

Nottingham has that setup, the bb was made by oade and i asked why not run them straight into the 620 as well, seems like it would work but he said it couldn't, thats why earlier i asked if Dsatz could chime in and let us know if it was possible.

Thanks that's who I was thinking of. BTW how do you setup? Clips on a Vark bar or do you use a Kwon bar?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »

Thanks that's who I was thinking of. BTW how do you setup? Clips on a Vark bar or do you use a Kwon bar?

My cmr's came with sgc clips and to my version of the vark i sold a while back

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »
Aside from the Schoeps price level, what are the key points to decide for this type of setup?
I.e.. how -in what way- and how much better would it sound than a set of MM-HLSC-1's? Or the Sennheiser counterpart?
Also, w.r.t. usability: what type of clips facilitate body-worn setups? (don't mention stxxlth yet)
Doesn't the size of the MK4x+CMR setup impede usability?
If you think info is too sensitive you may PM me.

PS:

If you remove the mics, I think there is sufficient room in the r09/hr to install a 6v battery (and the necessary minor tweaks) to power these (or 406x) directly.  I suggested this a couple of years ago, but I'm not aware that anyone has done it.
Hmm. Interesting proposal, also in general.
So there's no howto online for this?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:04:26 PM by udovdh »

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
Re: NEW Schoeps CMR Rig - COMPLETE 4/14 - LOW PRO BB JUST IN
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
ok, the cmr setup is now complete, i just got the bb in from Jon(Naiant), not only is it small but it has a built in rechargable lith ion which was his idea, will run the cmr's forever, IMO this is the perfect "not so open" setup which will get a run tomorrow night, just take a look-

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »
Wow... I so want your setup.  :P

I like the CCM > recorder setup but it is definitely bulkier due to the size of all-in-one units (not to mention the inability to switch caps).   

Well done!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
 :clapping:

That's about the best stealth rig you could ask for.

Very nicely done.   

Edit: Sony finally got away from their proprietary cards?  Awesome!
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Very nice Robb!!     :coolguy:

I'm not going to abandon the potential Gefell N-box, but you've got me thinking about the low pro schoeps option for once...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:55:58 PM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »
Mmmmm....sexy!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
Wow, I can't believe I am about to say this....but this almost makes me want to get some schoeps........  I am sure I am just suffering from shiny new penny syndrome, but wow that is a slick looking rig.  You can't beat the size factor/quality ratio with this set up....  wonder if something lyke this could be done with mbho stuff?
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com