Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fuzz / Static on part of my DPA Dvice 6061 > D:vice > Iphone from last night  (Read 1943 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Ran this rig last night for the Fujiwara Halvorson Bynum Trio - first time taping in a year and a half?!

I tested things in advance and all seemed to be well, however when I listened back the first 15-20 min or so have this static/crackle. Then, it just disappears for the rest of the show.

It's on both channels, and I'm guessing it was a connection issue somewhere that was corrected when checking levels between songs.

This was on an iphone 12, airplane mode, all apps closed out, levels set on the DPA app, recording 24/48 on metarecorder.

30 second mp3 sample attached - any thoughts are welcomed (this is the the start of the show).

https://mega.nz/file/4egV2QSZ#xFCw6Yvv1PEwseXz25awfyAL5-G0Hc_a0bbNrneKwZo

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I find static/crackle in my recordings using 4060 tends to be caused by spotty continuity most often, either from a bad connection (dirty contacts, loose/mis-seated, failing solder-joint) or if the rig is heavily used, a failing ground/shield in the microphone cable. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Member
I find static/crackle in my recordings using 4060 tends to be caused by spotty continuity most often, either from a bad connection (dirty contacts, loose/mis-seated, failing solder-joint) or if the rig is heavily used, a failing ground/shield in the microphone cable.

Have you had experience with that changing mid-recording / on the fly? I think that's what surprised me the most - all of a sudden it just fixed itself and sounded good.

Offline Gutbucket

Yes.  Unfortunately not unusual for me with "worn rigs" once they get heavily used and wiring and connectors get stressed.  Things often "settle down" and the noise goes away entirely if not moving around a lot during the performance.  But it's even more annoying when it pops up again later during recording.

It's indication for me that its time to check and clean at the very least, if not entirely re-work the rig.  Easy enough to clean the connectors, and tape or otherwise secure them from excess stress and movement.  I've sometimes gotten by prior to the more invasive things like re-soldering connectors and replacing wires when I was able to isolate the problem by listening with headphones while jiggling and prodding, then carefully securing and protecting the problem area once confirming that clean signal was achieved and could be maintained, but that's always something of a gamble.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Member
Yes.  Unfortunately not unusual for me with "worn rigs" once they get heavily used and wiring and connectors get stressed.  Things often "settle down" and the noise goes away entirely if not moving around a lot during the performance.  But it's even more annoying when it pops up again later during recording.

It's indication for me that its time to check and clean at the very least, if not entirely re-work the rig.  Easy enough to clean the connectors, and tape or otherwise secure them from excess stress and movement.  I've sometimes gotten by prior to the more invasive things like re-soldering connectors and replacing wires when I was able to isolate the problem by listening with headphones while jiggling and prodding, then carefully securing and protecting the problem area once confirming that clean signal was achieved and could be maintained, but that's always something of a gamble.

Hmm…I hope this isn’t the case, as this rig has barely been used at all (less than 10 hours total). I’ll take a deeper look at everything though…

Offline Gutbucket

In that case, the primary thing to check are the microdot connections into the d:vice.  .. as well as the USB cable connections I suppose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com