Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Better App for Recording  (Read 12890 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Better App for Recording
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2003, 11:43:18 PM »

is it backward compatable?

can you make these changes with data on the drive?

can you take a drive with 2 or more partitions and only change a few of them but not all of them, meaning, can you have a physical drive with 2 different file systems on it?

No ... unless you use 3rd party software to go from NTFS > FAT32. That's technically unsupported by MS, so if you lose your shit, you're shit outta luck.

Yes, you can make changes with data currently on the drive.

Pretty sure you can do it for each virtual drive/partition. I think I know this b/c I had to do my C:/D: one at a time for some reason and they're on the same physical drive.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2003, 11:52:56 PM »
i think i will just stick with fat32, wavelab for recording and dithering, SF or CEP for resampling, cdwav for tracking, and not worry about anything else.

jpschust

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2003, 05:41:42 PM »
since we are talking formats and partitioning, just a little hint for all of you who resample really really big files (ala photoshop rendering or wavelab resampling) partition your hard drive to give you one partition for your OS and one for everything else.  will speed things up immensely and keep your OS running quickly.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2003, 04:00:20 AM »
since we are talking formats and partitioning, just a little hint for all of you who resample really really big files (ala photoshop rendering or wavelab resampling) partition your hard drive to give you one partition for your OS and one for everything else.  will speed things up immensely and keep your OS running quickly.

Not too sure if that kind of partition does you any good from a performance perspective.  Because it's a logical partition, you're still using one drive with the same read/write heads and they can only be in one place at a time.  Logical partitions are great for keeping things separate, running ghost images and backups etc.

In my various computers, anything on a single drive is still pretty rotten compared to 2 physical drives - a single laptop drive is even worse.  On my desktop pc, a separate controller card seems to make a difference, even against onboard controllers that are supposedly ATA 133.  In both cases, the audio temp files are on another physical drive.

Here's the results of opening a 1.7GB 24 bit audio file in CEP 2.1 (where the entire file must be read and peak sampled).  This is mostly and I/O disc intensive task.

laptop, single 4200 rpm drive with a separate logical partition for OS and data - 41 minutes

desktop, 7200 rpm drive, promise ATA100 controller - 2 min40 sec
desktop, 5400 rpm drive, motherboard controller - 5 min30sec

I don't have the patience to do anything on the laptop!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

rabhan

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2003, 03:58:53 PM »
sometimes in the field we dont have a choice. not everyone can bring a desktop on the road with them, i have done it once b4 and it is a big pain in the ass compared to everything else i bring on tour. but if i have a choice, i would do all my audio work on my DAW.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2003, 04:55:28 PM »
hah!  :clapping:  I wasn't suggesting anyone take a desktop anywhere!

Just that the partition thing doesn't offer performance improvement on a laptop (but there are still good reasons to do it).

And that it's way faster to do anything else on a good desktop.  Good call!  I'm not that much of a wise-ass!  :spin:

Very brave of you to travel with a desktop - I guess that means lugging a monitor too!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

rabhan

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2003, 06:57:44 PM »
yeah, not fun!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2003, 07:02:13 PM »
desktop FOBDFC?

rabhan

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2003, 07:07:54 PM »
no, for transfering audio and editing audio

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com