Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)  (Read 109049 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »
And by the way, for all you new R44 owners out there, I've touted this before, but I'll say it again, which is that the laptop locking hole is not to be ignored or forgotten.

AKA the Kensington Slot. They own the patent for it.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »
Look out also for those little thingys which if moved give out a loud alarm sound - put one on top of your equipment or on your bag if you put it down, and if anyone tries to move anything beneath it, you'll hear (depending on how loud the concert is!).  Another thing I do at almost all times is to have a decent size releasable cable tie about me.  If you're in a cafe or whatever you can quickly tie the handle of your bag to a chair leg or whatever, to slow down any attempt to snatch it.  Or link together the handles of several bags to make it too unwieldy to grab the lot in a hurry.

The worst case I can recall of concert hall theft happened at London's Wigmore Hall, about the most respectable place on the planet, where Victoria de Los Angeles had a quarter of a million pounds of jewels stolen from the dressing room right behind the stage during a rehearsal when the hall was closed to the public.  Stuff happens anywhere!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
Loud alarms aren't good on recordings, lol, or maybe? Heh...

But seriously, locking is the bomb for certain situations (when flying solo in particular). And I do know it could still be stolen, it's just the odds go way down.  ;)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #333 on: July 09, 2008, 10:50:28 PM »
It seems like I've read more stories of rigs being stolen/lost on the way to and from shows than when the show is actually going on. But the idea of using anything to keep people from just grabbing something and running seems like a good idea to me, even if it is just a cheap plastic strap. Cheap insurance!

I doubt many people go to shows with the idea of stealing a rig, but between alcohol (etc) and the excitement of the moment, some people just lose their heads.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #334 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:14 PM »
Just for the record, mine ain't plastic, it's a small metal cable.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #335 on: July 10, 2008, 12:53:55 AM »
They say that the essence of security is to make your property just a bit harder to take than your neighbour's.  So sometimes something that will impose a few moment's delay on an attempted theft is enough to encourage the, er, person to go to the next guy's gear.

Of course if you're a wimp and he's built like a brick privy, yours may still look more attractive.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #336 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »
Anyone have any case recommendations yet. I have large bags already, but I'm talking about something small when you need to be ultra-portable, or for times when you want a little protection around the unit when the unit is in another bigger bag with a bunch of other crap.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #337 on: July 10, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »
I don't think I have ever known a taper that has had anything taken from him while at a show with his rig set up. I have heard stories of stuff taken from hotel rooms that was left out in view, as well as stuff accidently left behind in train cars, cabs, etc. that was lost to the "finders-keepers" mindset.

I do recall being told to watch my gear once by a local taper when I recorded at the Knitting Factory in NY. He told me that it has happened to tapers in NYC before, so I guess it all depends on where you tape.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #338 on: July 10, 2008, 12:04:20 PM »
Ran the Oade mod R-44 last night at a Los Lonely Boys show.  The mix wasn't that great, vocals were a bit too loud.  The TLs weren't split very far at all, like maybe 10".  Here are a couple of short samples:

mod r44 w/ mc930s  http://www.mediafire.com/?kyc18dmmewm

mod r44 w/ TLs omni http://www.mediafire.com/?fxnne4zgctg

Leehookem is going to use the mod r-44 & do a sbd/mic matrix tomorrow night of Topaz.  I'm sure he'll have something to check out from that shortly thereafter. 

kskreider

« Reply #339 on: July 10, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
Anyone have any case recommendations yet. I have large bags already, but I'm talking about something small when you need to be ultra-portable, or for times when you want a little protection around the unit when the unit is in another bigger bag with a bunch of other crap.

Bill, I think that someone posted a link for the Wendt mixer bag and said that it fits perfectly.  I found that it fits "OK" in a PortaBrace RM-Multi with my DVD battery in the smaller of the two pockets.  If I can remember to do so I will take a picture and post it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387298-REG/Wendt_X3BAG_X3_Audio_Mixer_Bag.html

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #340 on: July 10, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
Ran the Oade mod R-44 last night at a Los Lonely Boys show.  The mix wasn't that great, vocals were a bit too loud.  The TLs weren't split very far at all, like maybe 10".  Here are a couple of short samples:

So how do you like the mod? Does Doug have plans to offer any of the other r-4/pro type mods in the future or does the R-44 limit what can be done in there? Sooner or latter I'm gonna crack and buy one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106140.msg1426524.html#msg1426524
Retired Taper

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #342 on: July 10, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
So how do you like the mod? Does Doug have plans to offer any of the other r-4/pro type mods in the future or does the R-44 limit what can be done in there? Sooner or latter I'm gonna crack and buy one.

No real opinion of it yet.   I'll reserve judgment until I get a show that doesn't generally sound like @ss.  Love the unit itself, though.

Doug mentioned that he might come up w/ a high-gain mod for the ambient/nature recordists. 

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2008, 08:32:47 PM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106140.msg1426524.html#msg1426524

tempted just to place an order and send it directly to them!  I wonder how much of a discount?  Seems like free would be appropriate. ;)
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #344 on: July 11, 2008, 12:51:02 AM »
So how do you like the mod?
What we need to evaluate the mod is for someone to compare one with the mod and one without the mod side by side using the same mics recording the same material.  It would be great if anyone could do that, so that there's a level playing field basis for comparison.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com