Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom UAC-232 32-bit float interface  (Read 2061 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Zoom UAC-232 32-bit float interface
« on: February 17, 2023, 10:25:03 AM »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

Re: Zoom UAC-232 32-bit float interface
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »
Zoom does not explicitly say that the UAC-232 has multiple auto-ranging ADC's, but they lump it in with all of the other products that we know use this tech. They also say it's "impossible to clip" (slightly misleading as we have discussed before, but true in the digital domain as long as the analog input isn't overloaded) so I think it's a safe assumption that the multi-ADC setup is being used in this new interface.

EDIT: Confirmed. See the diagram on page 49 of the manual: https://zoomcorp.com/media/documents/E_UAC-232.pdf

I think the lack of input level knobs on an interface (even if they would be functioning post-ADC in this case) is kind of inconvenient. If you're recording into a DAW, you will probably have to do a lot more level adjustment after capture since your record levels are likely to be too low or high. On a field recorder using this setup like the F3, the lack of level control isn't an issue because you're going to adjust in post anyway. On my F6 which does have (digital) level controls, I tend to set levels between +20 and +40 depending on what I'm doing, and then I have less dramatic adjustments needed in post.

Either way, using the tech from the F-series gives Zoom a way to cut costs by eliminating those physical controls.

FWIW, the MOTU M2 (which I own and love) is the same price, has input level knobs, and is also 32-bit float point capable (although without the multiple auto-ranging ADC setup). The UAC-232 is going to have to have impeccable measurements and a first-rate headphone amp to seriously challenge MOTU in this price bracket.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:03:43 AM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 11:40:39 AM »
Nice product but why do they keep pushing these massive and intrusive metal frame?
Non stackable, annoyingly large and no use for a desktop product at all.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 01:44:16 PM »
Nice product but why do they keep pushing these massive and intrusive metal frame?
Non stackable, annoyingly large and no use for a desktop product at all.

I agree it's silly. I guess it connects to the design language of the F-series? The thing is, those rails can be useful in a field recorder bag setup. On this, not so much.

They seriously have the ability to velcro tie your cables to the rails as a selling point. They include velcro ties specifically for this!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com