Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small BB options wanted!  (Read 3340 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Small BB options wanted!
« on: February 05, 2022, 07:54:11 PM »
Hey fellow tapers!

I've noticed that my current setup with SP-CMC-4U (AT853) male mini plug -> SP-SPSB-10 battery box -> M10 or ER05 introduces one channel crackling noise/dropouts if I move the BB or the inter connector during recording. When all is left untouched all is fine, but obviously this is far from satisfying so a couple of questions for the gurus here...

1. What is most likely the issue here? The battery box, the interconnector or the combo?

2. What is my best option for a BB and interconnectors of similar size to the SPSB-10 setup I have for best possible quality and to avoid the crackling issue?
I'm really looking for the best cables and BB possible here.

3. Not really related to the issue, but since I've been out of the game for some time, is there any other cardiod/hyper on the market of similar size to the SP-CMC-4U
that is a reasonable upgrade for s small size recording setup?

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 07:58:17 PM by nicegrin »
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Small BB options wanted!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 06:45:21 PM »
Cables and connectors will wear out, it's inevitable.  I suggest getting bunch of cables regardless since they're cheap to test and swap, something like:
https://www.startech.com/en-us/cables/mu1mms2ra

Always get right-angle connectors for portable use; they relieve strain on your plugs in case of movement.  The lower-profile the plug, the better since it has less leverage to damage your recorder or box.

I also prefer battery boxes with removable cables, since cables are more easily damaged.   Boxes are pretty easy and cheap to build your own, many threads here on that.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Small BB options wanted!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
Have you tried canned air or deoxit? Sounds like a dirty connection

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com