Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DR100mkIII LiIon battery replacement  (Read 1657 times)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
DR100mkIII LiIon battery replacement
« on: July 13, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »
Has anyone replaced their internal battery? Our internal LiIon battery is dead, the manual has the replacement procedure but Tascam USA parts told me the battery isn't available anymore - or more accurately, they would ask Japan if they were, but it's now been months with no answer.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: DR100mkIII LiIon battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 04:49:07 PM »
Has anyone replaced their internal battery? Our internal LiIon battery is dead, the manual has the replacement procedure but Tascam USA parts told me the battery isn't available anymore - or more accurately, they would ask Japan if they were, but it's now been months with no answer.

You should call them back and ask for the part #.  Then search the internet for a generic equivalent.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 08:11:56 PM »
Yeah, I should get back to them anyway and ask why they couldn't just say it's not available a month ago. A shame for owners if the battery can't be replaced., although you can kinda use AAs as the secondary batteries.

I need some luck with a generic, the OEM is a flat pack with3 wires and a specific mini connector. I could splice, if I was sure what the 3rd wire was for.

Offline heva

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 01:54:33 AM »
Do you have pictures/specs of battery and connector?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 02:24:15 AM by heva »

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 11:08:55 AM »
Thanks, I now remember I took a photo before putting it back together. I'll have to open it again to get the dimensions, which has to wait until Monday.

So I have the Teac part number and the OEM specs.

edit: I see this was discussed in the old thread:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178782.msg2207599#msg2207599

and I did not see any further resolution on the battery, nor do I see any good hits in a Google search.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 11:38:48 AM by GLouie »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 12:20:04 PM »

I went through a similar situation with the MR1. Korg made it difficult to get the replacement battery which was like $80 if you could get it and cheaper alternatives were lower capacity. It has a hard drive for storage so it's fairly power hungry and after the internal died completely even using an external solution was a no go. I ended up finding a cheap internal with the same specs, installing it by soldering on the original connector since the new one was different, then drilling a hole in the case and splicing on a much higher capacity battery in parallel. I now have 6000mAh of capacity but it is butt ugly.

Here's the finished product - https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133941.60

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 09:16:32 PM »
Yeah, I should get back to them anyway and ask why they couldn't just say it's not available a month ago. A shame for owners if the battery can't be replaced., although you can kinda use AAs as the secondary batteries.

I need some luck with a generic, the OEM is a flat pack with3 wires and a specific mini connector. I could splice, if I was sure what the 3rd wire was for.
The third wire is for a temperature sense resistor. I’m away from my library, but I think the value is 10k-ohm to ground (black wire). If it’s unconnected, a charged battery will run the unit, but it will not charge the battery when plugged into usb power.  I have searched high and low for a replacement pack, but it was clearly proprietary, and no longer available.

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 11:17:00 PM »
Makes sense, even if bad news. I've seen other 3 wire packs and assumed #3 was for some charge sensor, but don't know if they are all the same or what. Even if a different shape, I could splice in the connector if the sensors were compatible.

Offline commongrounder

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 02:49:18 PM »
The sensing in the battery pack is designed to match the power management/charging chip in the recorder. Some use resistors, others use a diode or thermistor type device. I think the circuit in the Tascam could be tricked into charging pretty easily, if you wished to fit a custom pack.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the picture.  GB 31241-2014 is quite the popular battery.  Used mostly for phones.  Google it.  You just need to find the right supplier that sells the 3.6v 3950mah.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:07:13 PM by spyder9 »

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 03:46:39 PM »
It looks to me like GB31241-2014 is a standard for battery safety requirements, so I see lots of different packs and form factors that meet GB31241-2014. The phone batteries I see all have side contacts, not the 3 wire connector. If it was clear what the 4 side contacts were besides +/-, and you had a correct sensor contact, I could solder the wires to it, if the pack fit the space. I only got a couple of dead-end hits for the OEM model number CP-1S1P-3950JM.

I'd prefer not to have to buy one battery from China, nor do I want to buy the spec for $140-420.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com