Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade from Roland R-05 + Church Audio microphones?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline mjj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Upgrade from Roland R-05 + Church Audio microphones?
« on: October 07, 2022, 02:59:08 AM »
Hi!

I have some spare money and want to see whether the grass is greener on the other side :D

I like Roland R-05 + Church Audio combo as it is quite stealthy.. I don't want to go "much bigger" so gear should be of similar size..
What options would you suggest me if I want to upgrade my gear?
Is Zoom F3 worth looking at? As I understand it is not usable with Church Audio mics as it doesn't have 3.5 mm input. Am I right?

Concerts I attend are diverse: from small library concerts for 15 people to big arena shows :)

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Upgrade from Roland R-05 + Church Audio microphones?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 08:38:33 AM »
Is there something in particular you're unhappy with about your recordings that you want to improve?

Also, how much spare money is "some"?

Offline mjj

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 09:39:17 AM »
I don't see any specific flaws in my gear.
Actually I haven't used any another mics besides Church Audio's so I want to have something else to compare.. And that current 32-bit float audio trend is tempting me :)
Budget is around 1000 $.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 11:03:48 AM »
Hi!

I have some spare money and want to see whether the grass is greener on the other side :D

I like Roland R-05 + Church Audio combo as it is quite stealthy.. I don't want to go "much bigger" so gear should be of similar size..
What options would you suggest me if I want to upgrade my gear?
Is Zoom F3 worth looking at? As I understand it is not usable with Church Audio mics as it doesn't have 3.5 mm input. Am I right?

Concerts I attend are diverse: from small library concerts for 15 people to big arena shows :)
Which Church mic do you own...Cards or Omnis?

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 11:46:36 AM »
^ that was gonna be my question.

Honestly with $1k I'm not sure I'd really try to upgrade anything if it's a stealth rig. You won't notice much of a difference upgrade the recorder (imo), and a stealthy mic upgrade will probably run you more than that. All that said, there's tons of threads here about good stealth mics/recorders, just search around and keep an eye on the yard sale section

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 12:29:51 PM »
If you have omnis, a used pair of DPA 4061 or 4063 (if you don't use a battery box) could be an upgrade. I've only used my 4661s for a few shows but I'm really impressed with the sound quality.

If you're comfortable with the Roland, I would personally wait until 32 bit hits the non-XLR handheld recorders.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »
I went from R-05 to the Sony A-10, and really love the bluetooth feature. It always made me nervous to handle the deck, and now I don't have to.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline mjj

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 02:08:48 PM »
I use CA 11 mics with omnidirectional capsules.

If you have omnis, a used pair of DPA 4061 or 4063 (if you don't use a battery box) could be an upgrade. I've only used my 4661s for a few shows but I'm really impressed with the sound quality.

If you're comfortable with the Roland, I would personally wait until 32 bit hits the non-XLR handheld recorders.

That is new for me! Is it really possible to avoid battery box? That would be a big win for me!
I mean would it be really possible to use Roland R-05 with just DPA 4063 microphones without a battery box and it would work well in loud concerts?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com