Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right Angle Pluggy XLR EM272Z1 mic vs. AT822  (Read 2088 times)

Offline gihl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Right Angle Pluggy XLR EM272Z1 mic vs. AT822
« on: November 13, 2022, 10:30:21 PM »
I like my Audio-Technica AT822 stereo mic, but I'm considering the Right Angle Pluggy XLR EM272Z1 mic for simple/quick setup and handheld recording.

- https://micbooster.com/clippy-and-pluggy-microphones/298-right-angle-xlr-pluggy-em272.html

I mainly record city sounds with AT822 and Zoom F3.
I wonder if the Right Angle Pluggy XLR EM272Z1 mic is as good as the AT822.
I would really appreciate your advice. :)
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Right Angle Pluggy XLR EM272Z1 mic vs. AT822
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 05:07:36 PM »
Those EM272 based mics will give very little stereo separation if used as shown in the photo. FEL should know better than to suggest their use in this way, though I see that they do say as much in the small print below! Omni mics such as these need either a solid baffle between them, or spacing of at least 40cm or so.

If you want to try the EM272 mics, I would suggest that you either buy bare capsules and wire them yourself, or find some pre-wired into a 3,5mm jack. These you can use with your Roland R05 plug-in-power mic input, and save all the hassle and expense of phantom-power and XLRs etc. 

The golden rule: Where you place the mics is more important than the mics themselves!  Tiny capsules can be placed anywhere and, for cityscapes it's often advantageous to not draw attention to the fact that you're recording.

I have several sets of EM172/272 which I use with my Olympus LS10 with excellent results.   One pair is built into the casing of some cheap headphones to give a discreet binaural recording rig.  Another option is to clip a mic to each side of a backpack.  Wrap each mic in a piece of fake fur or open weave fabric to roughly match your pack and provide some wind protection.

Incidentally, your AT822 is a good, directional stereo mic based on dual cardioid capsules. You can hold it in one hand, point it at something and it will do the job, providing some rejection of off axis sound.  Omni mics are omnidirectional so they will record sound from all directions. This might be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the situation. Baffles or wide spacing affect things, too. Experimentation is fun!  Only you with your skill as a sound recordist can decide what's best.

Happy sound hunting!

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 06:58:14 PM »
AT822 is very good sounding and very flexible.
For a stereo image, point at source,For interviewing, put it between two speakers, either above or below head level.
If aimed correctly this microphone will not let you down.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 04:03:13 PM »
For a stereo image, point at source,For interviewing, put it between two speakers, either above or below head level.

+1 on the AT822. I used one for a few years, no issues at all.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 07:13:52 PM »

+1 on the AT822. I used one for a few years, no issues at all.
This is really the "secret weapon" for a lot of great recordings.For acoustic, rock or anything in between, get this as close to the front as possible.I've seen some clubs where this is permanently installed (AT825 phantom power version, but the same innards) and mixed with board feed.  I recall one club giving all the artists a free live recording, mixed right to CD.  Those were the days ...

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline gihl

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 05:56:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Thanks again for everyone's help on this!  :)
BP4025, BP4029, Zoom F3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com