Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which do you prefer?

source "A"
source "B"
no preference

Author Topic: Comp: DPA 4018 vs 4018V capsules  (Read 3248 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Comp: DPA 4018 vs 4018V capsules
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:08:01 PM »
Umphrey's 2019-07-06 Grandstand, High Sierra Music Festival
recorded near soundboard, about 60-75 feet from stage, pointed just wide of stacks

4018>MMP-G>DAD6001>Mixpre-6
vs
4018V>MMP-ER>Mixpre-6

comp with one track of each: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-35uTSCe8eY5Xr0DaTt_h24kDNCOghCX

full filesets on archive if you jsut want to listen and not comp:
https://archive.org/details/um2019-07-06.4018
https://archive.org/details/um2019-07-06.4018V

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:53:20 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Comp: DPA 4018 vs 4018V capsules
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:35:55 PM »
Ignoring the different capsules being compared for a moment, I've a question which seeks to minimize the variables. 

Having run various combinations of these microphones and their mic preamplifiers, when using the same capsule and recorder do you find there is any significant difference between:

DPA mic amplifier with balanced XLR output (MMP-ER)
-and-
DPA mic amplifier with unbalanced microdot output > DPA Microdot input phantom adapter (MMP-G > DAD6001)?

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
Discussion about the V version in comparison to the standard 4018 here- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164474.msg2292820#msg2292820
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »
difference between -E and -G series to be determined, all of it is pretty new to me

got rained out 2 nights at red rocks and only did 2 nights of HSMF. Was focused on testing the 4018 and 4015 pairs i had on loan from DPA

i suspect little to no difference but just a guess, i dont think the connection between cap and ER is really "balanced", more like impedance balanced, and i think thats only on the output side (in most of our applications XLR is being plugged right into a preamp with no extra cable).

the -E series claims like 10 dB more "dynamic range" but were talking 120 vs 130ish, prob irrelevant for our application

i should have tested sensitivity of 4018V vs 4018 while i had those 4018s, i think the sensitivity is closer than specs would indicate in that other thread. All those capsule specs are nominal anyway. ive seen 4011s from 8mV/Pa all the way up to 11mV/Pa. ill bet the lowere sensitivity of the "V" mics includes the handheld mic body like the other specs

Ignoring the different capsules being compared for a moment, I've a question which seeks to minimize the variables. 

Having run various combinations of these microphones and their mic preamplifiers, when using the same capsule and recorder do you find there is any significant difference between:

DPA mic amplifier with balanced XLR output (MMP-ER)
-and-
DPA mic amplifier with unbalanced microdot output > DPA Microdot input phantom adapter (MMP-G > DAD6001)?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:23:29 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com