Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic questions for microtrack  (Read 1481 times)

Offline ericl24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic questions for microtrack
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:02:47 PM »
I'm new to recording, just got a MT for recording myself on acoustic guitar, jamming with friends, and for workshops. I bought a Sony ms907 mic, I thought the Sony would be a big improvement over the mic that came with the MT, but it is much less sensitive, with more hiss and maybe less bass than the little m-audio one. The Sony clearly gives better stereo image, but for what I want to use it for, the low sensitiivty is a real negative. At typical volumes, I have the input levels maxed out and its still too low.

Is there another better option for a mic ~$100, or do I have to go much higher in price for better sesnitivity and good stereo?  Am I crazy thinking that the mic that came with it is better for my use than the Sony? I've read old posts and I realize that the Sony is supposed to be low sensitivity, but I'm surprised it s so different than the m-audio. Thanks for any help.

eric

RebelRebel

Re: Mic questions for microtrack
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »
Another option that you may want to consider is the Sound Professionals SP-PASM-2.

It is a pair of mics and preamp in one, and just plugs into the recorder. it comes in two different sensitivities. The mics are omnidirectional, and would work well for what you are doing. Adjustable gain, variable bass roll off, etc.

www.soundprofessionals.com

there is a coupon for members here. Type in "taperssection" in the coupon code bar.
My wife uses one for documenting song ideas or story lines.

Your ears dont lie..if they say the MT has a better mic...well there you go!

Offline Pokey1

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Mic questions for microtrack
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:22:08 AM »
Hay Buddy, May I suggest the mic from Sound Professionals that is made especially for the Micro-Track. The [SP-Micro Track -Mic- Powered. $99.00 bought it a while back. I haven't been on the Taperssection site in a while. But I use it for recording my rehearsals and live profermances. It is a great mic. It uses the 1/4 inputs for better recording quality has a 1/8 line out for headphones and a line in 1/8 input for another mic/power pack. Takes 1 small battery.  I have had no trouble with distortion and the bass is loud and clear. Very faint hiss hardly audible. At 24/96 I give this mic a 10+. You can put the Micro track in your shirt pocket and only the Mic shows. Wear a dark shirt and Stealth away. It won't be seen. I record reheasals with it set next to my drumset  and bass player to my left and it still picks up the the Keyboards, vocal and guitar that are playing on the other end of the room very clearly. No distortion. Only if the battery gets to low. Use have to remember to turn the mic off when your not using it. I use it at my gigs. By the way we play Classic Rock and Blues. We do play loud. Our web site is Dangertones.com. I couldn't use the T-mic because it distorted easily. I called the Sound Pros. and they suggested that particular. I could not be happier. So if you have 100 bucks to spend. Take my advice and get this mic. Happy taping to ya. Keepin the Faith, Drummer Mike.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com