Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for a field recorder with XLR inputs  (Read 5366 times)

Offline rumbleseat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
Hi!

Just got back from Bonnaroo, and I'm sick and tired of dragging my Tascam DR-680 MKII around in a backpack when I only need to record 2 channels.  I used to use an iriver H320 and that's a perfect size, but I've upgraded my mics and need 48 volts and XLR inputs.
So, what's out there that would work well??  I think the Tascam DR-100 MKIII would work but it's fairly expensive.  I also don't need the internal microphones but maybe every deck would have those.
I've also got a Edirol UA-5 DigiMod, so a plain music player as a "bit bucket" would work, but maybe that's too many wires and battery packs.
Any suggestions for current or recently obsolete equipment that would work well??
Thanks!
AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Looking for suggestions for a field recorder with XLR inputs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 10:30:28 PM »
I have a Shure FP-24 and M10 as a backup/travel rig and it's only one more cable than when I use my Mixpre6.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:49:33 PM »
Tascam DR-40? Not sure how good the preamps are.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline inoutoffocus

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 12:14:19 AM »
What bands did you tape at roo?

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 03:33:16 AM »
What bands did you tape at roo?

Second this question! Still waiting for the (until now?) elusive Phish tapes.

As for the original question, the DR-60d has proven to be a reliable deck for me. Four channels, two XLR jacks with phantom and a stereo mini. Preamps are pretty darn good for the price. You’ll need an external USB power pack to power it through a full show though. It tears through AAs but sips power from USB batteries, in my experience.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!
The DR-40 should work, but I have no idea about the preamps.  It seems to me that there should be some objective way to assess preamp quality, no?  Maybe we should start a separate thread for that.

I taped a bunch of shows at the THIS and THAT tents, but nothing on the main stages.  I'll be posting them on DIME, but not for several months due to a backlog of other recordings.
The Phish shows are available for purchase on https://www.livephish.com/.

AKG C480B CK61 cards or AKG C568EB or Church CA-11 cards >  Canare L-4E6S with Neutrik EMC > Tascam DR-680 MKII or DR-44WL > memories

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
MixPre-3 should be under consideration.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 02:54:29 PM »
for two channels the dr100-mkiii is a great unit and affordable

oade mod marantz pmd 661 is a little larger and also has great size

both are smaller and more battery efficient than a mixpre3
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 02:30:56 AM »
for two channels the dr100-mkiii is a great unit and affordable

oade mod marantz pmd 661 is a little larger and also has great size

both are smaller and more battery efficient than a mixpre3
kindms and I own an M10 and PMD661 (OADE mod) respectively. used them for all kinds of situations. For open taping, I'd go 661, and even get an OADE modded one. We do use the M10 with an SD mic pre or a V2 for a very small rig. It is what it is (great SQ and small).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:44:16 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 02:11:55 PM »
No affiliation, but just a heads up: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191146.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Hi!

Just got back from Bonnaroo, and I'm sick and tired of dragging my Tascam DR-680 MKII around in a backpack when I only need to record 2 channels.  I used to use an iriver H320 and that's a perfect size, but I've upgraded my mics and need 48 volts and XLR inputs.
So, what's out there that would work well??  I think the Tascam DR-100 MKIII would work but it's fairly expensive.  I also don't need the internal microphones but maybe every deck would have those.
I've also got a Edirol UA-5 DigiMod, so a plain music player as a "bit bucket" would work, but maybe that's too many wires and battery packs.
Any suggestions for current or recently obsolete equipment that would work well??
Thanks!

what kind of mics are you running ?

mics >pfa>recorder might be an option to handle your 48v needs
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rumbleseat

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonicsational Audio
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
I run either AKG C480B with cardioid capsules or AKG C568EB short shotguns, so I need standard 48V phantom power.  I already have a pair of Naiant PFA phantom power adapters for my 9V Church mics.  That's a nice combination, but the PFAs require standard 48V phantom power that they step down to the desired mic voltage (as I understand it...)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I'm also going to include the Tascam DR-44WL in the list.  It appears that this unit has better internal mics than the DR-40X, but the preamps are not as good as the DR-100.  The DR-44WL throws in wireless control though - so you can mount it 9' in the air on a stand and still start/stop and adjust levels (and skip the external mics altogether).

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
Just a suggestion:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183965.msg2302524#msg2302524

I have a warm mod 661 and a concert mod 661 I’d like to move. Both are perfect and it come with a battery that will run the thing all day.

Sorry for the self hype!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »
I run either AKG C480B with cardioid capsules or AKG C568EB short shotguns, so I need standard 48V phantom power.  I already have a pair of Naiant PFA phantom power adapters for my 9V Church mics.  That's a nice combination, but the PFAs require standard 48V phantom power that they step down to the desired mic voltage (as I understand it...)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I'm also going to include the Tascam DR-44WL in the list.  It appears that this unit has better internal mics than the DR-40X, but the preamps are not as good as the DR-100.  The DR-44WL throws in wireless control though - so you can mount it 9' in the air on a stand and still start/stop and adjust levels (and skip the external mics altogether).

there is a pfa that can be powered to supply phantom is my understanding. a single that juices a stereo pair
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 03:46:39 PM »
Tascam DR-40? Not sure how good the preamps are.

I have had the DR-40 for many years. Originally I used the XLR line ins to record from my SD Mixpre. The inputs can handle a very hot input from soundboards also. As for the preamps with mics recording amplified music, below are examples. The first link is at a seated dinner theater and listen how dead quiet it is in between songs when there is "silence". These are very quiet and hot mics and I usually record with the input at 0 and use the Dual level feature which records a second track at -12dB. Even for very loud club shows (see last link) I have yet to clip. I believe the preamps to be very similar to the 60D. If you don't need the extra functionality of that deck, the DR-40 is very light and simple. I have never had an issue with any of my Tascam decks flaking out in any way. They're cheap and they work, certainly worth a shot on a budget, may be all you need. Not a comp but just some FYI...

https://archive.org/details/yarn2017-02-25.tmpc1.dr40.cd2go

https://archive.org/details/yarn2018-02-02.tmpc1.dr40.cd2go

https://archive.org/details/localh2019-07-19.cd2go

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com