Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EQ best practice when mixing multiple sources  (Read 2353 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
EQ best practice when mixing multiple sources
« on: February 05, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
When mixing multiple sources (pairs of different mics, mics+sbd, etc), is it better to wait until they're all mixed into one stereo file before doing EQ than to EQ each source before mixing (and then having to do additional EQ on the final stereo file)?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
Re: EQ best practice when mixing multiple sources
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »
I EQ each source in context with the other, as well as EQ the mixdown.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
I EQ each source in context with the other, as well as EQ the mixdown.

To expand on this, typically each source will need different cuts (and sometimes boosts) than the others. I will time-align the two sources, then click back and forth between listening to the mix of the two, and each source in solo. Listening in solo lets me determine which source is contributing the bad stuff and cut there. For example, if the AUD has mud, I'll cut it in the AUD, so that I'm not cutting the nicely-balanced low-mids of the soundboard at the same time if they're OK. Keep in mind that the full mix is what matters, but listening in solo briefly can tell you which source contains the problems.

Typically I boost only on the full mix but sometimes I will do boosts on just the soundboard feed if needed.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
Pretty much the same here.

Generally I EQ and do whatever to each source to make them sound good on their own first.  Then balance the mix of the two.  Then tweak that further.  Sort of like mixing and mastering as separate processes. 

Partial exception to the first step is when I know one source will be supplying what the other is not.  Like plenty of low end from one source, so the other needn't be boosted there to compensate for thinness, but must still sound good otherwise.

Going further when the effort is worth it, sometimes I'll do that kind of thing in a more advanced way by playing one off the other as a further extension of balancing the mix of of the two in more ways than just level.  For instance I might take both "good" EQ'd sources, make a specific cut to one and a corresponding boost to the other in an "energy-balanced" way - that is, not boosting or cutting the resulting sum response of the two so much as letting one contribute more in that area than the other.

I'll then probably still tweak the resulting mix somewhat in the final mastering step.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 04:52:31 AM »
I usually don't EQ. I just balance sources with volume control.

Perhaps later someone can go back and improve my mixes.

???
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »
Like all wise people said above....

Mixing multiple sources from my experience this is what I can say partly:

- Try to mix so you get a great balance between the "treble>Mid>Bass"-frequencies.

- Listen back to the "test-mix" on different audio sources such as >> Headphones >> Stereo >> Speakers >> etc. It will most likely not sound exactly the same.

- Consider to perhaps use the equalizer on your stereo when playing back the final result instead of "doing too much re-mixing" in the computer.

- All people mix the sound after their "ears" and "liking".

- If you are doing a matrix try to find a smooth mix between the  2 or 3 sources...also perhaps raise the source the you think sounds the best separately above the 1 or 2 other sources...

- If one source has more "bass" and "Mid" and the other is more "treble and crisp"...try to mix them without adding too much of this in "post-mix". The closer the audio sounds to the original sources the better (usually - not always).

- Best advice: Record the sources very good from the beginning so you only have to mix the matrix(!)

Good Luck with mixing!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com