Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)  (Read 115051 times)

Online Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2013, 06:05:14 PM »
Thanks guys. I should have done some digging before asking that question. Apparently you can even go 64GB if you format the card for FAT32 first. More info at:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/456327/sony-pcm-m10-as-portable-player/120#post_8727898

Off I go to compare some prices online. :)

I just picked up a Sony 64GB micro SDXC card and tried it out in my M10 with mixed results. First, I formatted the card to FAT32 with the GUIformat utility listed in the above link.  My device recognized it, with a tad longer boot-up, and test recording went well and accessing the raw files via USB interface did not cause a problem. The problem I ran into was trying to format the card in the device, I got a "process error" message and then had to turn off the M10 before I could record to it without seeing the same error message again.  When I turned it back on it defaulted to the card and I was able to record again.  I was also able to play or delete any recorded tracks from the card via the "delete" button without any problems.  I was able to do a recording test and ran @ 24/96 wav test for over 2 hours and it had no issues splitting the files at 2GB and kept on rolling.

However, I'm a little nervous about trying it in the field not being able to format the card if needed(although I have rarely found a need to do this).  Another thing I discovered after plugging in USB is that the file structure was in place, and doesn't appear that this has to happen as a result of formatting in the deck. I think the M10 puts the file system on a blank card when it first accesses it, just a guess though. 

Any thoughts or experiences with 64GB cards for other brands?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:33:24 PM by Falconidave »
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2013, 03:18:27 AM »
^ I bought a SanDisk 64GB sdxc card and had very similar experience. Seems to work ok, but can't seem to format it in the M10 properly. I use it mainly for playback rather than recording. Not sure I'd trust it yet recording an important show, 32GB more than enough for 4-channel recording @ 24/96.

Online Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
I tried out my Sony 64GB micro in the field last night for a Brian Wilson - Jeff Beck show. Well over 2.5 hours and it performed like a champ. 
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
Well 4 channel sounds way more convenient. Would you be able to give me an idea of what i'd be losing out on getting the DR2D over the PCM-M10?

edit: Also if I were to go with the PCM-M10 how much should i expect to drop on a mixer?

I don't own the M10, but I have read plenty of them and seen the fluffing here in ts.com. They seem like great little recorders.

To answer your question above, you would be mainly losing out on battery life by choosing the dr2d over the m10. The dr2d usually gives me about 3-4 hours recording time using 2 cheap alkaline batteries. Better batteries would give you better results I am sure. The M10 lasts forever on a pair of batteries.
The inputs and electronics of the dr2d sound good to me, and I have't heard or read any concerns about them.
My experience has been excellent with both 2 channel and 4 channel recording with the dr2d. For the cheap price it is a steal in my opinion. I run a Naiant tinybox into the linein when running two channel and it sounds really nice to me.
I am not sure why you would want to buy a mixer and an M10 or multiple M10s. A dr2d will do everything you need it to in a small footprint. As I said, the only single downsaide I have experienced is the battery life (even with the most recent firmware), but you can always use external USB batteries if you want, or just carry a few extras with you, no big deal.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2013, 11:04:09 PM »
I am not sure why you would want to buy a mixer and an M10 or multiple M10s. A dr2d will do everything you need it to in a small footprint.

A dr2d also limits you to using the internal mics for two of your channels, yes? Whereas a pair of M10s would enable you to use, say, external mics plus a soundboard feed.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
I am not sure why you would want to buy a mixer and an M10 or multiple M10s. A dr2d will do everything you need it to in a small footprint.

A dr2d also limits you to using the internal mics for two of your channels, yes? Whereas a pair of M10s would enable you to use, say, external mics plus a soundboard feed.

I don't think so.  You can go both mic in and line in.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #231 on: October 22, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »

This is wrong on both counts. The dr2d will allow you to run 4 external mics, and there is a lot of info in the dr2d thread about the many ways to do this. The Sony m10 is a 2 channel recorder, and like all 2 channel recorders you are limited to a number of possible 2 channel options, but cannot combine 2 of the options as you suggest above. Ironically you can do what you suggest with the dr2d.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #232 on: October 22, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »

This is wrong on both counts. The dr2d will allow you to run 4 external mics, and there is a lot of info in the dr2d thread about the many ways to do this. The Sony m10 is a 2 channel recorder, and like all 2 channel recorders you are limited to a number of possible 2 channel options, but cannot combine 2 of the options as you suggest above. Ironically you can do what you suggest with the dr2d.

A *pair* of M10s is what I said. You'd need to align and mix afterwards, obviously.

Anyway, if the dr2d can run four external mics, then I stand very corrected. I checked the specs and manual, which were very unclear about this, but didn't dig through the entire dr2d thread - will go do so now.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #233 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
Oops, sorry I missed your "pair " reference.  :facepalm:

I will say that in my experience and more so as a listener, I have heard lots of manually synched recordings, and most of them have drift resulting in echo or reverb. It may be slight but it is there. And matching frequent points while overlaying  a sbd recording to an audience recording (or vice versa), where the matchup points may not look similar is really hard. A multi channel deck will trump this method every time as well as requiring no matchup work which is usually fairly time consuming if done well.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #234 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
I've had pretty good luck matching up files, but I agree that it's time-consuming and dicey, which is why I've been looking into four-tracks. If the dr2d allows two sets of external mics, that's a huge plus; I'd much rather have two stereo line inputs, though, at which point it looks like I'd need a Tascam DR-680, which is outside my price range at the moment.

Speaking of drift, though, I've introduced it to the topic. So anyway, about the M10...

Offline James Lopez

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »
Even though Ive been mostly using the PCM-m10 together with an SD302 and a few nice mics, I am always very impressed on how the unit records with its internal mics. Here's a recording I did yesterday in a central square in Barcelona of a traditional catalan music ensemble. There's a bit of post involved (Comp, EQ, reverb) but the sound was really there already. Hope you like it. http://soundcloud.com/james-lo303-1/la-principal-del-llobregat-02112013

EDIT: Link changed to correct one
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:17:19 AM by James Lopez »

Offline TimSmith

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2013, 11:17:12 AM »
Even though Ive been mostly using the PCM-m10 together with an SD302 and a few nice mics, I am always very impressed on how the unit records with its internal mics. Here's a recording I did yesterday in a central square in Barcelona of a traditional catalan music ensemble. There's a bit of post involved (Comp, EQ, reverb) but the sound was really there already.

I used internals on my m10 couple times and they are pretty good if you don't have anything else at the moment. IMO Zoom's and Tascam's internals are not as good.
The only drawback is that they are closely spaced omnis - not much stereo.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline baysap

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
Hi,

Just got my M10 and the quality is amazing , just recording my guitar out of the box.

I would love to get some links to a faq and some tips on how to get the max out of it.

Thanks,
Ron.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2013, 11:11:18 AM »
I can't seem to find info on how much gain the m10 adds/attenuates on line-in at various knob settings.

Anyone saved that data?  I sorta recall that it was probably posted at some point.  Or maybe it wasn't?

Guess we need a FAQ :P

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
I can't seem to find info on how much gain the m10 adds/attenuates on line-in at various knob settings.

Anyone saved that data?  I sorta recall that it was probably posted at some point.  Or maybe it wasn't?

Guess we need a FAQ :P
approx 2.5 db for each number
I used three different levels of white noise to test it out and all there came back as 4 being "unity"
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com