Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tekkeon double power pack questions & anyone using this batt w/ UA-5?  (Read 7386 times)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
Hey pholks.

Anybody ever used a tekkeon with a Edirol UA-5?

Just preparing for festy seaon (yep, its around the corner...) and I am looking at a double power pack to run my UA-5 for an extended period.  How do you check the power level remaining on the unit?  Is it much the same as the single tekkeon? I am having trouble finding information on this.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but a double tekkeon at 9v has a capacity of 11,000 mah. This would mean I could theoretically run a UA-5 (450ma) for @ 20 hrs?

thx
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Tekkeon double power pack questions & anyone using this batt w/ UA-5?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
How do you check the power level remaining on the unit?  Is it much the same as the single tekkeon? I am having trouble finding information on this.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but a double tekkeon at 9v has a capacity of 11,000 mah. This would mean I could theoretically run a UA-5 (450ma) for @ 20 hrs?

thx

1) Yes, it's the same as the normal/single which won't drain as fast because it's pulling from both simultaneously.
2) Yes, mathematically when paired with a MP3450 (non-"i" version) it will be 11k mah. Knock 20% off for safe estimation (I've never gotten all of mine out of a battery before it died), and divide by 450 to get a safe idea of around 18 hours (I thought the draw was 500, maybe not). Keep that in mind and ignore the LEDs which I find to be really off until you get close to running out, then it's accurate (and too late...)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
Make sure you hack the cable and reverse the polarity.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
thanks Ted - I appreciate the reply...the adaptaplug M tip on the end of the tekkeon cable should do the trick too, just turned 180 degrees...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:03:17 PM by jibooer »
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »
Correct.  The female socket of the stock tekkeon cable will accept the radio shack plugs.  The tekkeon plugs have different size contacts for + & - and therefore don't lend themselves the ability to reverse polarity.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
I'm a nerd and since I've ruined festivals for myself when I didn't plan well for battery power, I'm extra conservative when it comes to planning my battery situation out.

To make sure I have enough power for a full weekend, I hook everything up weeks beforehand and let it run dead to get run-times with the batteries I plan on using.  That gives me alot more confidence than doing a calculation about what you should get based on the battery mah rating.  It also cycles your batteries.

When the festival arrives, I plan battery change-outs based on these run-times.  For example, if I know that I only have 1 hour left on a battery and a 1 1/2 hour set is coming up, it might be a good time for swap.  I carry extra batteries to account for failures or mistakes.  This method gives me 100% assurance I'll get through the weekend.

Hint:  In additional to knowing the amount of time to expect from your batteries, using external batteries supplied by a cable that allows for hot swaps also helps maximize battery usage, while minimizing the potential for recording downtime.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
To make sure I have enough power for a full weekend, I hook everything up weeks beforehand and let it run dead to get run-times with the batteries I plan on using.  That gives me alot more confidence than doing a calculation about what you should get based on the battery mah rating.  It also cycles your batteries.

I didn't think that was good for LIon/LIpo batteries. I have let my tekkeon run dry a couple of times, but it's by accident.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »

I didn't think that was good for LIon/LIpo batteries. I have let my tekkeon run dry a couple of times, but it's by accident.

Battery university says that frequent deep discharging of Li-Ion will decrease the life of the battery.  They provide a graph that shows how deep discharging 500 times will kill the battery where a 25% discharge will kill the battery after 2500 cycles.  Peeps can reach whatever conclusions they want from that info, but seems that running the battery dry a few times either on purpose or by accident won't hurt it too much.  I think it also makes a difference how long you leave the battery discharged after it's been run dead...but that could just be applicable to SLAs.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »

Battery university says that frequent deep discharging of Li-Ion will decrease the life of the battery.  They provide a graph that shows how deep discharging 500 times will kill the battery where a 25% discharge will kill the battery after 2500 cycles.  Peeps can reach whatever conclusions they want from that info, but seems that running the battery dry a few times either on purpose or by accident won't hurt it too much.  I think it also makes a difference how long you leave the battery discharged after it's been run dead...but that could just be applicable to SLAs.

fair enough.

I do agree with how long it's dead matters.

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »
Festies are always tough to gauge set times and also the time between sets vary as well. This always making swapping batteries a PITA.  I used to LIVE for that type of excitement during the ol' DAT days when carrying around 100 AA's was common practice, but now as the years goes by, I have no interest. DVD batteries are great for 1 show at a time, but for a festy you would have to have a stack of 'em to run your rig all day, and still would have to worry about swapping. I much rather put the $$$ up front, plug it and let it roll, and spend the time worrying about how to get to the portojohn to recycle the last IPA ;D

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
I can also confirm that the Tekkeon double at 9v will run a UA-5 (24/48, coax) for close to 20 hours. Perfect for festies.

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
I don't mean to sound like a noob but would someone please let me know which battery people are referring to? TIA!
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=23

as noted in the product description it can only be used with certain models:
Add this expansion battery to myPower ALL Plus (MP3450, MP3450i, MP3700 and/or MP3750) and double your battery capacity. Bracket to connect two units is included.

Must be used with myPower ALL Plus MP3450, MP3450i, MP3700 and/or MP3750; MP3450-10 cannot be used independently.

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
The double battery I use is the tekkeon 3450 r2 (the newer version of the 3450, which 'locks' automatically the voltage in which your device needs) with the expansion pack.
Hope this helps.
noobs are ok too

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
The double battery I use is the tekkeon 3450 r2 (the newer version of the 3450, which 'locks' automatically the voltage in which your device needs) with the expansion pack.
Hope this helps.
noobs are ok too

I thought that was the 37xx line. I've got a 3450i-r2 and it's a manual switch for voltage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com