Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Scaling Down - Mixpre vs. 702  (Read 4172 times)

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Scaling Down - Mixpre vs. 702
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:15:02 AM »
Since i Don't do a ton of open recording i was thinking of scaling down to a mixpre(or similar)> recorder instead of the 702 and keeping the Schoeps, any opinions on this move or combination, any big downside(besides not all in one)?

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Scaling Down - Mixpre vs. 702
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »
PSP-2 is the perfect match for the Schoeps if you can find one...

The Aerco MP-2 has a bit of a wait for it but the sound is more than worth it and the size is right on. Add an Edirol R-09HR and you should be off and running. I dig separate components (mics > pre > Sonic AD2K+), but as long as your analog chain is solid you are (generally speaking) in business.
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 03:36:41 AM »
Since i Don't do a ton of open recording i was thinking of scaling down to a mixpre(or similar)> recorder instead of the 702 and keeping the Schoeps, any opinions on this move or combination, any big downside(besides not all in one)?

If you like the sound of the 702 then the MixPre is a safe (and excellent) option, IMO. I got a MixPre for field-recording (with an R09HR), but have come to love it so much I now use it as my preferred studio mic preamp for critical sources like vocals and acoustic instruments. 

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »

If you like the sound of the 702 then the MixPre is a safe (and excellent) option, IMO. I got a MixPre for field-recording (with an R09HR), but have come to love it so much I now use it as my preferred studio mic preamp for critical sources like vocals and acoustic instruments. 

digifish

I've also used my sd mp-2 for home studio work a number of times over the pres in my audio interface. Nice sound, clean gain.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »
lundahl trannies!

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:41:01 PM »

digifish

I've also used my sd mp-2 for home studio work a number of times over the pres in my audio interface. Nice sound, clean gain.

Silence is worth it's weight in bit-depth when recording delicate sounds :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
are there vast differences btwn the mixpre and the SD mp-2
or are they the same, just different branding?

*oops...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106743.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,57116.0.html

guess i kinda answered my q.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 05:12:19 PM by spcyrfc »
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:10 AM »
This is a little bit of an old thread, so sorry if this is late. 

I've heard people say things like...if you like the Mini-Me then you'll like the Mini-MP because they sound alike.  Same with the SD products.  My opinion is that's just not true.  To my ears, the 702 and MP-2 don't sound alike.  The MP-2 is far looser on the low end, which is the feature that ended up causing me to conclude that the MP-2 was not for me.  The 702 is nice and tight...very crisp sound with excellent detail...MP-2 not nearly as good detail but a pleasant overall sound in a very well designed package.  I've read opinions that the MixPre tightened up the low end a bit, but can't confirm.

Again, my opinion, but I'd pick an Aerco hands down over an MP-2 based on sound....but again my experience is with the MP-2 and not a mixpre.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:23:25 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
Also the pre amps in the 702 are not transformer based. I had a Mixpre & thought it sounded very nice but does not sound like the 702.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 11:41:42 AM »
Also the pre amps in the 702 are not transformer based. I had a Mixpre & thought it sounded very nice but does not sound like the 702.

Also, the mixpre and MP-2 only have input transformers, and each has a different type of transformerless output topography. I noticed a big difference between the sound of the MP-2 and the sound of the MP-1s when I got them, and in talking to the guys at SD, they explained that with the original design in that first product they made, they used their own in-house built output transformers and with the MP-2/Mixpre and the other mixers, they eliminated the output transformers due to the high cost of the custom work, as well as the weight and space they took up. To my ears the MP-1 mono blocks are the warmest sounding preamps Sound Devices make.

With the 7XX series, they use a completely transformerless preamp stage, which has a different sound from all their outboard preamp/mixers as a result. IMO, there is no difference in clarity and sonic quality between any of the SD products, just differences in coloration whenever transformers are involved.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com