Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery life for the AD20?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
Battery life for the AD20?
« on: July 12, 2004, 03:42:31 AM »
Has anyone tested what the actual life of a standard 9v is for the AD20?  Going to be running it for the first time at two shows this week and don't know whether I'll need two batteries or just one.  The box says it runs for 9.5 hours or something like that but I don't know how accurate that is.

Thanks for any help!
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Battery life for the AD20?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 04:14:13 AM »
use 2 just in case

I wouldn't push it past 5 hours

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:17:14 PM »
A few thoughts --

1) my experience has been that 9 volt batteries can vary rather significantly power-wise from battery to battery

2) the battery life in the PS2 is the real question mark as hungry mics (like mbho 603a) will drain a good 9 volt in under 2 hours, while a ps2 battery will last a LOT longer with more furgal mics.

If I were you, I'd sacrifice a few batteries and perform at least 2 tests with the whole setup running and recording music (from speakers) to see how long each of your components will last before running out of juice.

(also, I presume the PS2 has not yet shown up)

Darrin

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 01:36:36 PM »
For the AD20, I'd say that as long as it is a fresh 9v you'll be fine running the same battery for two shows (2, two hour sets?)

I'm not sure about the battery for the PS2, but I don't think the 853s would kill the 9v too fast.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 10:28:47 PM »
I always switched out my 9v after every show.  The one time I tried to push it for two shows it died on me.  I'd say it lasts around ~4 hours.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 05:17:00 AM »
Darrin, the ps-2 arrived yesterday.  Thanks!

It's going to be a bit sketchy, 'cause I'm taping 3 bands (Scofield, Herbie Hancock and a huge Carlos Santana & Friends show) tomorrow and thursday.  I'm assuming that the Sco' and Herbie sets will be under 2 hours each, but I have NO idea how long the Santana show will last.  I don't even know if it will be one set or two.

I imagine that I'll run one batt per night for the ad-20, and maybe run two duracell regular batts for the Sco'/Herbie show, and then one extra strength for the Santana soiree in the PS-2.  I assume the PS-2 sucks more power than the AD-20...
 It's 100% stealth, so I don't want to be playing with the rig too much, but if I miss a minute of this bad boy I'll be kicking myself for months:

The extraordinary guitar player Carlos Santana is the guest of honour of this 38th edition of the Montreux Jazz Festival. For a start, he will be performing as the Special Guest for the «Blues Summit» on 12th July with Buddy Guy, Clarence «Gatemouth» Brown and Otis Rush who will each be playing with their own bands. Then, on 13th July, Carlos Santana and his band will take the audience on a musical trip throughout the guitarist's past career from his first band, the «Santana Blues Band», to today. His son, Salvador, will also be performing with his band that same night. Carlos Santana will finally be playing for the «Hymns For Peace» evening on 15th July along with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, John McLaughlin, Angélique Kidjo, Chick Corea, Idrissa Diop, Steve Winwood and others. They will all interpret classics on the theme of peace by authors like Bob Marley, John Lennon and Bob Dylan.

The only catch (preventing me from extensive testing) is that the AT853s seem to be stuck in Customs in germany.  They were shipped ages ago, and everything else has arrived except them.  Starting to stress me out.  >:( >:(

Thanks for all the help there guys.  If all goes well I'll offer up some copies on the board for all the "tech support" I've recieved over the last month or so.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 05:20:21 AM by Unitmonster »

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 07:22:46 PM »
if in doubt, by an extra pack of 9 volts at the store and change them out.  better safe than sorry.  Once you run these a couple times, you will realize the advantage of building an external power source with a 9.6v battery.  I used taped all weekend on 2, 3000 mAh batteries at NWSS.  I did have an extra 3 of them with me, but didn't even touch them.

Also, the batteries can be changed out really fast between songs, if you notice that red light come on.  I changed one out on the PS-2 between songs at yonder in April (my first time with these things) and didn't even notice a drop-out.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 07:21:57 AM »
I once ran the same 9v in an AD20 for 3 Derek Trucks shows...about 6 and a half hours total counting setbreak, pre-show, etc. Luckily not a single problem, but I wouldn't suggest trying it...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 05:05:32 AM »
thanks for the input guys!  I didn't end up taping the first show because my mics were stuck in customs  :-[, but I used one 9v for the AD-20 and two for the PS-2 (changed at setbreak) for the second show.   Worked like a charm, except when I put the 9v in the PS-2 backward and nearly missed the start of the first set.  Fortunately I recovered and didn't miss a note of the show.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com