Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-D100 alternatives  (Read 5581 times)

Offline deejayen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM-D100 alternatives
« on: December 14, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
I'm considering buying a portable 2-track recorder, mainly for line-in recording.

I suppose my main priorities are sound quality, and ease of use.

For some reason I'm being drawn to something like a Marantz 661 with an Oade mod.  Are these (or any other recorders) comparable to the Sony in terms of sound quality? 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Sony PCM-D100 alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
depends on your needs

do you need XLRs/phantom?

id narrow it down from there. you can go the "brick" route for $300-$500 or the "handheld" route for $100-$200

you can easily pad any line in to work safely with a handheld
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 02:52:57 AM »
I'm considering buying a portable 2-track recorder, mainly for line-in recording.

I suppose my main priorities are sound quality, and ease of use.

For some reason I'm being drawn to something like a Marantz 661 with an Oade mod.  Are these (or any other recorders) comparable to the Sony in terms of sound quality?

It is my impression that the D100 is in high regard primarily due to its implementation of the build in microphones. It is not often I see it mentioned in the context of line-in recording - which is not to say it is not good for that purpose, I wouldn’t know.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
My setup is usually a pair of Sennheiser MKH-8040 mics into a Sound Devices Mix-Pre3 or a Sony PCM-D100, and on some blind comparisons I can't say the former is better than the latter. The Sony PCM-D100 really is that good imho.

Don't even think about the newer/cheaper Sony PCM-D10.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »
I love my Sony D10 but I have not used the line-in on it. It's a great recorder for dpa4023/dpa4028 mic in. I've made alot of nice tapes with dpa4023/dpa4028 >sonosax > Sony A10 so I can't imagine the line-in on the D10 being worse than the line-in on the A10.

Offline deejayen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:36:28 AM »
Thanks very much.

It's always difficult to choose new audio gear without being able to hear it.

What do you mean by a "brick" vs "handheld"?

I'd only be using line-in, but XLR/Combos would be handy if I were using balanced gear.  However, I wouldn't need phantom power. 

I suppose I'm looking for a portable recorder with high quality input circuitry and converters, and ideally with a simple interface (knobs rather than menus).

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 08:14:15 AM »
Thanks very much.

It's always difficult to choose new audio gear without being able to hear it.

What do you mean by a "brick" vs "handheld"?

I'd only be using line-in, but XLR/Combos would be handy if I were using balanced gear.  However, I wouldn't need phantom power. 

I suppose I'm looking for a portable recorder with high quality input circuitry and converters, and ideally with a simple interface (knobs rather than menus).

brick = larger recorder with XLR inputs and phantom ( marantz pmd661, tascam dr100, sony pcm-d10)
handheld =smaller recorder with minijack in (pcm-m10, pcm-a10, edirol R05,07,09, etc)

usually any xlr input comes with phantom
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com