Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zapping your CD's  (Read 2265 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Zapping your CD's
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech2/pro.html

is a review of a device a friend of mine is considering purchasing.  Personally, I'd like him to, just so I can try it on a few of my old CD's, without spending money!

So, any thoughts?  More expensive snake oil for gullible audiophiles?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Zapping your CD's
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
"Ditto for their ongoing experiments with producing copies from commercial CDs that far transcend the originals "

sure sounds like snake oil to me.

think about it. if all commercial cds were somehow inferior, would eac be able to rapidly rip identical bit-for-bit copies quickly (at speeds much higher than 1x your cd player reads at) almost every time from new clean discs?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:01:13 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
That article was almost comical! thanks for the laugh.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:27:10 AM »
think about it. if all commercial cds were somehow inferior, would eac be able to rapidly rip identical bit-for-bit copies quickly (at speeds much higher than 1x your cd player reads at) almost every time from new clean discs?

I read the article twice.  It actually makes sense to me. 

I have no problem with what they're proposing that this device does; however, I'll be the first to say that I'm no audiophile so I can't say whether it's something that could be worth it or not.

Regards your statement Jerryfreak, you aren't contemplating how they are saying that the device works.  Basically, if I can translate how I understood it, if a CD or DVD is sorta like a punch card, it's almost like the device fixes the 'hanging chad' by zapping it with a calibrated bright light.  The light isn't so bright as to burn through virgin foil, but it's bright enough to burn through 'hanging chads'.  In essense, it seems to me that the concept is that it burns additional holes onto a CD and DVD that didn't get there in the first place because of maybe imperfect CD/DVD manufacturing processes.  By completing the burning of the occasional 'hanging chad', there is in essence more data (more holes in the foil) and better sound, better video, etc. 

As they say however, you can overdo it because the light is so bright.  If you keep zapping it with the bright light, at some point you start destroying the virgin foil and thus the quality of the music data starts to also get corrupted...and the output sound of the music starts to suffer.

So, regarding your statement about EAC, it's not really relevant because EAC obviously just reads whatever holes/data the laser in your disc drive can see.  If it can't see data because the 'hanging chad' is still present, then it's not gonna read it.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:50:04 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:21:47 AM »
ok, so when EAC reads the EXACT data for just about any disc you rip, and compares it with an accuraterip of someone else on the other side of the world, and they are bit-for-bit identical, why is there even an arguement that the 25+ year old technology of cd pressing is flawed? i have yet to see a new disc that doesnt rip fine.

I read the article twice.  It actually makes sense to me. 

I have no problem with what they're proposing that this device does; however, I'll be the first to say that I'm no audiophile so I can't say whether it's something that could be worth it or not.

Regards your statement Jerryfreak, you aren't contemplating how they are saying that the device works.  Basically, if I can translate how I understood it, if a CD or DVD is sorta like a punch card, it's almost like the device fixes the 'hanging chad' by zapping it with a calibrated bright light.  The light isn't so bright as to burn through virgin foil, but it's bright enough to burn through 'hanging chads'.  In essense, it seems to me that the concept is that it burns additional holes onto a CD and DVD that didn't get there in the first place because of maybe imperfect CD/DVD manufacturing processes.  By completing the burning of the occasional 'hanging chad', there is in essence more data (more holes in the foil) and better sound, better video, etc. 

As they say however, you can overdo it because the light is so bright.  If you keep zapping it with the bright light, at some point you start destroying the virgin foil and thus the quality of the music data starts to also get corrupted...and the output sound of the music starts to suffer.

So, regarding your statement about EAC, it's not really relevant because EAC obviously just reads whatever holes/data the laser in your disc drive can see.  If it can't see data because the 'hanging chad' is still present, then it's not gonna read it.

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com