Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158795 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2018, 05:18:58 PM »
HI folks.

Have any of you used the D:vice successfully with an adapter that allows you to connect both the D:vice and a set of non-Apple earbuds to your iPhone?

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus, so of course lost the traditional 1/8" jack. :( I picked up a Belkin adapter that plugs into the Lightning port on the phone and provides female 1/8" and Lightning connections, thinking this would let me monitor through earbuds when setting up the D:vice. but when I use it in conjunction with the D:vice, the D:vice app cannot find the D:vice. It defaults to thinking I want to use the phone's internal mic.

Plugging the D:vice into the phone directly causes it to be recognized again.

I'm more than a little pissed, given the price of this tiny Belkin accessory.

Do I need to try bluetooth earbuds next?

Will the D:vice still use the D:vice, even if said earbuds contain a microphone?

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2018, 06:25:06 PM »
I think the Belkin cable is for analog out to a headset via a 1/8 and power input to the phone via lightning. the lightning connector cant be used for data input. This sounds consistent with what you found. I have not seen any equivalent which does pass data. Bluetooth may be the only way to what you want, although I havent actually tried something like that
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Duncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:33 PM »
HI folks.

Will the D:vice still use the D:vice, even if said earbuds contain a microphone?

I think as long as you plug the d:vice in last after the headphones are going so the d:vice is the last thing to be connected
Recording for 39 years and counting, down not up
Schoeps CCM5--SD722
DPA 4061--SD722
AKG CK 61-ULS--Naiant Actives--SD722
DPA 4061 - DPA d:VICE - iPhone 6s+
MixPre6 with some mics

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »
Here's a big band jazz show I recorded last week. A little EQ and compression, but mostly glorious 24/48. 4060's, D:vice, iPhone 8+.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/oc82vd

Offline kindms

• Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2018, 04:55:16 PM »
Here's a big band jazz show I recorded last week. A little EQ and compression, but mostly glorious 24/48. 4060's, D:vice, iPhone 8+.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/oc82vd

Thanks for sharing this. It sounds excellent.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline wonderful

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »
Does anybody else feel that a switchable -10dB pad would be a useful addition to the D:vice app? I do, mostly because I use it with a pair of 4060's, so I'm worried about very loud sources. (occasional metal shows)

Perhaps if we write short reviews of the app and request this... :)

Personally, I would prefer a pad rather than a limiter.

Yes I have to same question and use the d:vice with 4060's on iOS. Is there a solution available to record loud sources?  I have the levels on the DPA app at +0.0 dB. With the iOS apps I have used I can't reduce volume: RØDE app, MetaRecorder, MOTIV. 

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »
I just filed a bug report with DPA through their Facebook page. A guy named Steve seems to respond to things there in a day or two.

Anyway, after installing iOS 11.3 public beta 2, I can't get more than one mic to show up in the D:vice app. Or rather, the last time I used the app and things worked, I only had one 4060 connected. Now, with the latest public beta, I can't attach the second mic and change to stereo, sum, etc. That's what I get for enrolling my primary device in a beta program I suppose.

Related: I discovered this last night, on the way to catching the excelent Canadian band Big Wreck. It would have turned out perfect, too, I was dead center, in a hall with nice dry acoustics. FUUUUCK! Is there a Murphy's Law of taping? No matter how simple the rig, something will fuck up?

Always, always, always, check your gear before leaving home. I should know this, but have been tought this lesson yet again. LOL

Has anyone tried the D:vice and a couple of mics into their Windows 10 PC? I gather the D:vice is a class compliant audio device, so it should just work when you plug it in.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2018, 10:01:45 AM »
I have a Windows 7 setup, the d:vice worked fine with that using Audacity as the recording program.   I will be getting a portable Windows 10 setup (Ockel Sirius A) in a few weeks, and intend to test that out. 

Glad I have resisted going from IoS 10 to 11!  Let us know what happens!

Jeff

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
As far as I know, things still work fine on the latest iOS 11 release, 11.2.5 I believe? It's the latest 11.3 public beta where there's an issue, at least with my iPhone.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
As far as I know, things still work fine on the latest iOS 11 release, 11.2.5 I believe? It's the latest 11.3 public beta where there's an issue, at least with my iPhone.

11.2.5 works fine. This is why I stopped being involved in the public beta program. When the iOS 10 beta was issued, I had nothing but problems with apps so I only update to official releases nowadays.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline detroit lightning

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
Anyone seen this on sale / cheaper than the $660 or so it seems to be anywhere?

Definitely planning to sell some other gear and take the plunge.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #176 on: February 14, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »
Anyone seen this on sale / cheaper than the $660 or so it seems to be anywhere?

Definitely planning to sell some other gear and take the plunge.

Unfortunately DPA stuff is pretty much sold at the SRP and that's about it.  I was shocked when you mentioned US$660 as it was going for around US$630 not long ago.  You might be able to find one on eBay as they show up from time to time but it's a really niche product.  Might be worth emailing some of the smaller companies to see if they can do any better on the price since it's pretty much advertised at the SRP.

Best of luck.  It's a nifty little box.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Has anybody tried this new four-way clip from DPA for the 4060/61's? Sounds like just the thing for tapers!

SCM0013-B
4-Way Clip for d:screet™ Miniature Microphones:
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/4-way-clip-for-dscreet

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:25 PM »
I've not, but it looks like a standard lavalier clip.  Pretty much the same as what one finds with Countryman B3.  Could be useful for clipping to the outside of clothing, a hat brim, maybe glasses.  Not designed for use use under clothing like the DPA concealers are, and also how the boundary mounts can be used (as an "off-label" application).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline detroit lightning

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2018, 05:03:47 PM »
I used these the other night and really liked them. Mics are very secure, and well positioned by the clips.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/holder-for-dscreet-omnidirectional-microphones

Used the d:vice for the first time on Tuesday, it's pretty freaking great.

http://detroitlightning.tumblr.com/post/171881000434/earthless-kikagaku-moyo-jjuujjuu-grog-shop

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com