Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Burning 24/48 WAV files to Audio CD with Nero 7  (Read 2146 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Burning 24/48 WAV files to Audio CD with Nero 7
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
I couldn't find any discussions on the matter, but I recently accidentally dropped some 24/48 audio files into a regular audio CD compilation using Nero 7. Nero scanned the files and allowed me to burn them to CD with no warnings at 40X. Never popped any messages up through the process and the disc plays no problem in my car CD player.

So WTF is going on here? Is Nero 7 dithering and re-sampling in real time? I mean, this disc sounds fine in my car CD player, which is the only place I listen to CD's and pretty much the only reason I dither/re-sample a copy to 16/44.1. But if Nero is gonna do it on the fly for me, why should I even bother wasting the space and $$$ on my computer/external drives/backup DVD's?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Burning 24/48 WAV files to Audio CD with Nero 7
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »
resample/dither  a copy and compare to the one done "on the fly". trust your ears.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »
resample/dither  a copy and compare to the one done "on the fly". trust your ears.

well, thats the thing. i only listen to 16 bit audio in my car on CD. i usually have my windows down, the car rattles and there is usually some kind of junk somewhere clanging around. so car listening isn't what i would call critical listening. that being said, is it worth it for my own personal needs to dither/re-sample to 16/44.1? as far as distribution, i think most people are inclined to download 16 bit vs 24 bit. we'll see. i'm probably not gonna change my ways quite yet.

i was just really surprised to see Nero 7 burn 24/48 to CD so effortlessly. 

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:40:08 PM »
i burned a 16/48 cd by mistake using nero 6 and it played with no problems. i too wonder why i took the time to do things propperly when a mistake still yields *nearly identical* results to my ears. fwiw i still dither/resample in wavlab before burning audio cdrs.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:08:32 PM »
iTunes will take 24 bit files and burn them too
so i wouldn't be suprized if nero did
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com