Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

V3/MMe mic in v. line in info

(1/4) > >>

Brian Skalinder:
Thought this deserved its own topic in this section...

--- Quote from: Eric Scott on March 26, 2003, 08:59:46 PM ---With the 148, do you plan on disabling the pre in the V3, or will you be running through both stages of gain?
--- End quote ---

There was a lot of discussion about this re the Minime on the Oade board and Todd Ramsden provided a lot of useful info.  (Thanks Todd!)

Basically:  you cannot disable the pre/gain stage in the V3 or Minime (or AD1K, or...).  Whether running "line in" or "mic in" on the V3/Minime, the signal goes through the same signal path / gain structure.  The only question is whether the gain stage adds lots of gain ("mic in") or little to no gain / attenuation ("line in", which in the case of the V3 employs -20dB internal jumpers) before the signal reaches the ADC.

Mics > External Pre > V3 as ADC

is really

Mics > External Pre > V3 gain stage > V3 ADC.

Likewise for the MMe.

I hope I've captured all this correctly!  Here's Todd's original post, definitely recommended reading:

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Forum/technology/showmsg.mv+message=3212

EScott:
I just e-mailed Michael Grace on this very topic as Carl's post had confused me regarding the 148>V3 combo.  I will copy his response to the board.

Eric

Brian Skalinder:
Excellent.  Looking forward to the reply direct from MG!

EScott:
This is right along with what's been said, although I was a little surprised at the reasoning behind the input pads..

The V3 does have input pad jumpers which attenuate the input by 20dB.
The reason for this was to allow the V3 to be used as stand alone AD
converter that could handle a +4dBu signal from a professional device
like a sound board feed.  It would seem quite silly to me to use it in
this fashion with another mic preamp as you would be using redundant
circuitry.  ...Unless, of course, one desired the sonic imprint of
another mic preamp.
I hope this answers your question.
Sincerely,
Michael

twoodruff:
i would say +T but to someone who has an avatar that is literally beating the shit out of me i say thanks and heres my lunch money

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version