Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Current value of MK46 cables and CKx capsules?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
Current value of MK46 cables and CKx capsules?
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
Curious as to what the going rate on these is if they are in mint condition?  Say for a pair of mint MK46 with a pair of mint capsules. Seems like the 1x and 3x are the most desirable.  I have the opportunity to buy some from a studio, they have all the capsules (1x, 2x, 3x) including a CK1x-S (which I know are for speech like the CK1S, but I have never even heard of a CK1x-S before). Working on pricing right now.  I owned some MK46/CK1x back in the day, but that was like 15 years ago.

When I look on eBay and Reverb it is all over the place. Some capsules, but not much on the MK46 at all.

I've been trying to slim down the mic drawer, and have sold just about everything I have except for my nBob AKG setup, and my AT944 set with all the caps (O, C, HC, Shotgun).  Not even sure If I will keep them, but may just buy them for now and figure it out, since you don't see full sets with all the capsules come up very often.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:30:44 PM by bluegrass_brad »
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
Re: Current value of MK46 cables and CKx capsules?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:21:10 PM »
The caps should be worth around $125 each. Maybe a little more for the 3x. I don’t think the cables are worth much. $50 each? And of course you need 460 bodies to make this work. Quite honestly, I think the nbob cables, ck6x caps and some PFA’s are a much better option, which you already have.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:30:36 PM »
It's super tempting.

I was thinking I might buy the bundle just for the capsules. The bundle includes 2 extension cables with lemos on both ends, so they could plug into the MK46 end, then into the capsule. I could order some PFA's from Naiant and use those cables and I would be all set with another small footprint rig with CK1x, CK2x, and CK3x capsules.

CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
MK46 cables have a lemo on one end only for cap connections. The other end is coupler connection for the 460 body. Doesn’t sound like this set has original MK46 cables, but instead a modded set? I once owned a pair of cables for the CKx caps with lemos on the cap ends and a mini Xlr on the other end for connection to a Tinybox. I think it was the only set like that ever made.

Can you post some pics of these cables?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:55:48 AM by ts »

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »
This is an original set. In addition to the original mint MK46, there is a custom extension cable that has a lemo that plugs into the capsule end of the MK46 and a lemo on the other end that plugs into the actual capsule. It extends it by another 15' feet.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 05:10:32 AM »
Sounds very tempting.The caps are electret, so a battery box could be made :)
I bought cables and a pair of 1x capsules.  There were a bunch on Ebay a while back, from UK.  Perhaps BBC?
So many possibilities.  So little time.
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 09:14:25 AM »
Temptation was too strong, I bought them all. These are coming from a studio in Austria. I made contact with the owner a while back because he was selling some gear. I bought some AKG stuff from him and it was minty. I asked him to let me know if he was selling anything else, and these came up. Due to COVID he was selling off some of his gear that didn't see as much use. He sold it as a personal transaction, so no VAT, and shipping was actually reasonable.

Jon at Naiant said it was no problem to make PFA's for them. I found out the extension cables that come with them are the official extension cables for the MK46 that AKG sold. These are AKG MK/20V. I thought they were only like 15'-20', but they are actually 20 meters (60') long!! I'll be cannibalizing them for the PFA's. Cutting them down to like 15', keeping the lemo for the capsules on one end, and putting a TA3 on the other end to mate with the 25cm PFA. I'm gonna keep the PFA's mono so I can use these for home recording as well.
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 09:50:35 AM »
The CK3x caps are hard to find. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 02:18:34 AM »
Temptation was too strong, I bought them all. These are coming from a studio in Austria. I made contact with the owner a while back because he was selling some gear. I bought some AKG stuff from him and it was minty. I asked him to let me know if he was selling anything else, and these came up. Due to COVID he was selling off some of his gear that didn't see as much use. He sold it as a personal transaction, so no VAT, and shipping was actually reasonable.

Jon at Naiant said it was no problem to make PFA's for them. I found out the extension cables that come with them are the official extension cables for the MK46 that AKG sold. These are AKG MK/20V. I thought they were only like 15'-20', but they are actually 20 meters (60') long!! I'll be cannibalizing them for the PFA's. Cutting them down to like 15', keeping the lemo for the capsules on one end, and putting a TA3 on the other end to mate with the 25cm PFA. I'm gonna keep the PFA's mono so I can use these for home recording as well.
Great find.Temptation is sometimes a good thing :)
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com