Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 127128 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
I just found a few that might work - looks like you've got to spend $60+ to get decent capacity with a 9V or higher output:

XTPower 10,000 mAh
ECEEN 16,000 mAh
Anker Astro Pro2 20,000 mAh
RavPower 23,000 mAh
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #271 on: September 06, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
I just found a few that might work - looks like you've got to spend $60+ to get decent capacity with a 9V or higher output:

XTPower 10,000 mAh
ECEEN 16,000 mAh
RavPower 23,000 mAh

That's better than spending $150 for a lithium solution for the hs-p82 or hauling around a 10lbs sla like I do :)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #272 on: September 06, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
It ran for about 10hrs off one of my tekkeon 3300 batteries.  Phantom was on 24v (my schoeps mics only need 12v) recording two channels stereo, without recording the summed channels, but with the headphones plugged in and on the entire time.

It's been between 85 and 90 all three days of the festival and the recorder has run warm to the touch all weekend, but not hot.  About what one would expect.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:07:54 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #273 on: September 06, 2015, 09:32:59 PM »

XTPower 10,000 mAh
ECEEN 16,000 mAh
RavPower 23,000 mAh

That's better than spending $150 for a lithium solution for the hs-p82 or hauling around a 10lbs sla like I do :)

Yikes, I'd rather lug a 100ft extension cord than a car battery.  Have you tried running the HS-P82 off of one of the ones like those I linked?  The EXT DC jack says 9-18V / 2A in the images I'm looking at, and all of these would fit those requirements, at least on paper.  You'd need to make a custom adapter cable, obviously.  I'd guess your runtime wouldn't be as long though.

Since you brought it up, the review comparison I'm most interested to see would be your Tascam vs. the F8.  The price range is at least similar for the feature set.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #274 on: September 06, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
Fwiw, it ran for about 10hrs off one of my tekkeon 3300 batteries.  Phantom was on 24v (my schoeps mics only need 12v) recording two channels stereo, without recording the summed channels, but with the headphones plugged in and on the entire time.

It's been between 85 and 90 all three days of the festival and the recorder has run warm to the touch all weekend.

That's pretty impressive, even with the lower phantom voltage.  Sorry if this has been asked already, but can you hot-swap external power during recording, as is the case with many pro recorders?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »
Fwiw, it ran for about 10hrs off one of my tekkeon 3300 batteries.  Phantom was on 24v (my schoeps mics only need 12v) recording two channels stereo, without recording the summed channels, but with the headphones plugged in and on the entire time.

It's been between 85 and 90 all three days of the festival and the recorder has run warm to the touch all weekend.

That's pretty impressive, even with the lower phantom voltage.  Sorry if this has been asked already, but can you hot-swap external power during recording, as is the case with many pro recorders?

Yes, no problem.  Disconnect the external battery and the voltage indicator switches to show the voltage from the AAs.  Plug a new external in and it switches back to the voltage coming from the external battery.  Reminder that I'm using the 12v connection on the back not the hirose power connection.

stevetoney

« Reply #276 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »
How do the Zoom F8 preamps sound?

I recorded Lotus over the weekend from the same location on consecutive nights, with and without my AETA PSP-3 preamp.

Saturday night - Schoeps m934b/CMMT30 > AETA PSP-3 > Zoom F8
https://archive.org/details/lotus2015-09-05.m934b_24bit

Sunday night - Schoeps m934b/CMMT30 > Zoom F8
https://archive.org/details/lotus2015-09-06.m934b_24bit

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #277 on: September 08, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »
Hmmmmm, very interesting comp. I listened to a few tracks of each randomly & while I think I prefer the PSP3 for various reasons I can't complain at all about the Zoom preamps. The one definite is that the Zoom is a touch brighter in the preamp section than the PSP3, the weight of the bass is also a little lighter BUT I think the Zoom was more than acceptable, in fact it sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Great recordings Steve, nice work!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

stevetoney

« Reply #278 on: September 08, 2015, 10:13:26 AM »
Hmmmmm, very interesting comp. I listened to a few tracks of each randomly & while I think I prefer the PSP3 for various reasons I can't complain at all about the Zoom preamps. The one definite is that the Zoom is a touch brighter in the preamp section than the PSP3, the weight of the bass is also a little lighter BUT I think the Zoom was more than acceptable, in fact it sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Great recordings Steve, nice work!

At some point in the near future, I will do a side-by-side comp using the same basic mics recording simultaneously to separate tracks.  Since I'd just gotten the F8 though, I wasn't ready for that this weekend. 

For the recordings I did this weekend, I just wanted to get a general feel for whether I'd even want to consider using the internals and the answer is a definite yes.  I recorded 13 bands over the weekend.  I think I did five with the PSP3 and eight without.  I'll be posting more shows over the next day or two.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #279 on: September 08, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
I really need to listen to this on something other than my office computer speakers.  Phones and monitors I think.  Thanks Steve, preamp quality is kind of the leading make or break criterion for me!
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #280 on: September 08, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »

Thanks for the comparison. Agreed both are very nice recordings. Think carl made a good point with bass heavy mics if your looking for a brighter pre-amp section this would be a choice of a way to go. Though if you have bright mics the brightness in the preamp section may be too much.

Listening on home system and actually prefer the straight mic in to recorder (no pre-amp).  Not sure I could identify this source as a schoeps  (no pre-amp) sound.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:09:04 AM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

stevetoney

« Reply #281 on: September 08, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »
Thanks for the comparison. Agreed both are very nice recordings. Think carl made a good point with bass heavy mics if your looking for a brighter pre-amp section this would be a choice of a way to go. Though if you have bright mics the brightness in the preamp section may be too much.

FWIW, the two recordings weren't really posted as a comp.  Since the two shows were 24 hours apart, I don't think any conclusions can be made from the tonal differences from one to the other.

I'm pretty sure alot of people here know the PSP3 sound, so I thought it might be useful to listen to the F8 preamps against those made with the PSP3 to form a conclusion of the general quality of the onboard preamps in the F8. 

I think they have similar detail and general quality of sound. 

As mentioned earlier, sometime soon I'll connect all four of my M934B/CMMT30 mics, one pair through the PSP3 and the other straight in, so that the comp is done using the same type of mics recording the same music.  I think that would be the comp to really make some conclusions about tonal differences.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #282 on: September 08, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »
Completely agree Steve, comp isn't the right term since it was two separate nights but that being said it's a general thought process of listening to two similar sources. Either way I found the Zoom impressive & happy I placed my bet, I mean order, on one. From these recordings I was pleased to hear that in this instance the Zoom held its own vs a very high quality preamp.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #283 on: September 08, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
I run only matrixes.. I want this unit for its coolness factor but do I really need it over my DR-680 mkll?   Stage mics left and right...Fof and maybe straight vocals... I like a drum overhead... ok that's 5 channels... yes I can record  the guitar or bass or harp or keys.. but then to blend them in...
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #284 on: September 08, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
They are in stock at Adorama. I just ordered one. It looks like they have plenty of them.
I put a dozen in my shopping cart and proceeded to checkout. They seemed ready to check
me out for $12,000. I then emptied my cart and put one back in. I should have it tomorrow.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com