Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 127013 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #330 on: October 12, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »

If anyone gets one of these and DOESN'T like it give me a shout out. I'll take it off your hands.

I get the opportunity to do multichannel sometimes and this deck plus a 6 channel TRS snake looks like the way to go.

Only bummer for me is that the only two things that require external power for me in my current rig (the Reference Audio Designs Preamp and the DR60d) both take 5V so I'll have to pony up for new external power. When I do multitrack I usually have acccess to AC mains so not that big a deal.

Anyone run it off AAs yet?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2015, 05:52:24 PM »
One of my concerns is with the level knobs--looks easy to knock around, especially when you're not able to secure it in best location. Is there a software way to disable the knobs? I thought I saw something like that in the manual but don't quite remember.

Anybody get a chance to give the bluetooth controls some real practice?
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »
I've been thinking about the F8 for 4 channels or more!!  I think I'll wait a bit and see how it plays out for the early adopters.  I don't trust my 70d and don't expect tascam to rush to fix the card issues.  Look forward to hearing more recordings with the F8.

I'm on Pro Sound's wait list... can't believe I'm about to be a Zoomie but hey, the times are changin'...

I could've used that BT level monitoring twice this week, too.

I wondered if you'd gotten it yet.  Yeah, I hear you about the mental hurdle of actually buying a Zoom product, but seriously that whole thought process goes away almost immediately after you get your hands on it and fire it up.  If nothing else, all those pretty lights it makes are so much fun to watch in the dark!

Yeah -- I emailed Justin at Pro Sound right after going through your PMs about it. It just seems like the right fit as long as it works. I'd love to have a Sonosax/Aeta/SD machine, but SD doesn't really make something current-generation that does what I want it to do, and the there's also the cost. I can buy Aeta and Sonosax pres in the YS and still save $$$ over their units.... :)
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #333 on: October 13, 2015, 02:53:27 AM »
One of my concerns is with the level knobs--looks easy to knock around, especially when you're not able to secure it in best location. Is there a software way to disable the knobs? I thought I saw something like that in the manual but don't quite remember.

Hardware: you push stop at the same time as one of the pfl buttons to disable all the level knobs, push 'em again to re-enable.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2015, 03:02:07 AM »
Hardware: you push stop at the same time as one of the pfl buttons to disable all the level knobs, push 'em again to re-enable.

I could definitely see myself not quite pressing them at the same time and stopping my recording.   :facepalm:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #335 on: October 13, 2015, 07:54:54 AM »

I could definitely see myself not quite pressing them at the same time and stopping my recording.   :facepalm:

Seriously, I would be terrified of using that!
FREE JERRYFREAK!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #336 on: October 13, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »

Seriously, I would be terrified of using that!

I'll double check this and report back.  The pfl buttons have a very definite click to them so i think that might be the key to not screwing this up.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #337 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
If they have this function, then it seems logical to me that they could easily introduce channel ganging.  This could be done in the menus, but it seems like a quick shortcut could work also.  Here's how I would do it:

Hold PFL for the channel that will be the master control of your ganged channels.  (... and in the darkness, bind them.)  Holding a certain number of seconds will pop up "channel gang mode" on screen and the PFL switch may then be released.
Press and release the PFL for each slave channel  (ex.: Hold channel 1, press and release 2, 3, and 4 and now those four channels are controlled by the channel 1 gain pot.) 
To un-slave channels, repeat the above steps toggling the slaved channels off.

Regarding the STOP + PFL shortcut, why couldn't they just use PLAY + PFL instead since hitting PLAY on its own while recording probably wouldn't do anything?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

stevetoney

« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
I checked a couple things out tonight.

The level hold function...it can only be implemented before you hit the record button.  It won't work once recording is started. 

I tested the continuous save feature.  It turns out its not a true continuous save.  The unit will write data up to within the last minute of losing power.  So for example, what i did was played the F8 for 58 seconds and unplugged power.  Nothing was saved.  I repeated and this time let the recording go for 63 seconds and the second time 60 seconds was saved.

stevetoney

« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
Under the F8 main menu item entitled 'SD Card', there are three options 1) Information 2) Performance Test and 3) Format.  For the performance test, there are two choices 1) Quick Test and 2) Full Test.  The quick test takes perhaps 20 or 30 seconds to perform and the full test takes around 47 minutes per 16gb card. 

I did the quick test on all of the SD and micro-SD cards that I own and here are the results.

SD Cards
OK - PNY Premium 32gb Class 4
OK - Sandisk Ultra Plus 16gb Class 10 (40mb/s)
OK - Lexar Plantinum II 64gb Class 10 (200x)
OK - Sandisk SDHC Card 32gb Class 4
OK - PNY Premium 16gb Class 4
NG - Patriot LX Series 128gb Class 10

Micro-SD Cards in an SD Card adapter
OK - Adata 32gb Class 4
OK - Sandisk 16gb Class 4
OK - Sandisk Ultra Plus 64gb Class 10
Invalid Card - PNY 128gb Class 10
OK - Sandisk Ultra 8gb Class 10

In the past couple of years, I've purchased two fake micro-SD cards.  I was curious how the F8 would read those.  In one case, it wouldn't even recognize that an SD card was inserted into the slot, in the other case it returned the 'invalid card' message. 

It's interesting that the only two cards that didn't pass were the 128gb cards.  For what it's worth, both of these cards were the cheapest cards I could find when I mail-ordered them (one from Newegg and one from B&H).  There's probably a lesson there.  I use the PNY micro-SD card in my Fiio X3 player...the card is close to being full and it seems to function fine in my player so I'm not sure why it showed as an invalid card in the Zoom, say rather than the unit testing the card and returning a NG result.

I'd love to hear other owners' results, especially which 128gb cards you might be getting an OK test with. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:18:06 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #340 on: October 14, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

df

« Reply #341 on: October 22, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »
This is a long thread and I haven't read it all, but does the recorder have any backup features, or issues with saving files in case of power failure/batteries?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #342 on: October 22, 2015, 03:30:37 PM »
This is a long thread and I haven't read it all, but does the recorder have any backup features, or issues with saving files in case of power failure/batteries?

Short-short answer, yes, Steve tested that. It has to run for at least 1 min I believe before the backup starts working...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
On a different note, anyone notice the price increase for the F8 now that the pre-order is over.  WOW!
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2015, 03:59:58 PM »
Still $999 on B & H and Sweetwater!

On a different note, anyone notice the price increase for the F8 now that the pre-order is over.  WOW!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com