Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 127547 times)

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
Nice write-up, Dallman!  Sounds like a great little deck!  I missed the earlier posts about this deck, what was all the bashing about before it was released?
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2018, 04:10:14 PM »
Nice write-up, Dallman!  Sounds like a great little deck!  I missed the earlier posts about this deck, what was all the bashing about before it was released?

Mostly worries about the input overloading...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
I think it was mainly because of the fact that it doesn't have separate mic and line in ports.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2018, 07:57:09 PM »
What memory cards are folks using with success?

It actually comes with an 8GB, so ive been using that ;)
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »
I tried my R07 for the first time last night with great results. I was open taping The Ike Willis Project

upload that please! ;)

In fact I had forgotten I set the deck to record a second track at lower dB, and that track was very very low. I used AT 853>Naiant Pipsqueak>Roland R07.

can you guess at how many dB lower? we have a lot more room with the modern 24 bit architecture. not really the same animal, but i can record mics straight into my ad2k with no gain stage, it peaks at like -30 but is clean as a whistle when normalized. Far cry from the days of having to pound the levels on a 16 bit DAT or *gasp* cassette. I would guess the safety  track would be 12-20 dB down? I wonder if there is a lot of quantization noise when running a 16-bit safety track?

also for those who didnt know, you are limited to 48K in safety mode, you cant use 88 or 96K with this feature

Because as stated above I was open taping using the MixPre6 with 3 sets of mics, I made sure to move levels and play around. I controlled the deck mainly from my phone to get a feel for that. I changed levels quite a bit and had no zipper effect at all. Maybe this was due to the very loud volume, but nothing audible at all.

so was this like some experimental test using line out of mixpre to the R07?

I had no trouble at all with the Bluetooth, but I believe that it is meant to be used a certain way. If you lock the deck (on the deck with the power button in lock position) which I did, the remote from the phone will still control the levels as well as record, stop, start and all. After doing whatever I need to do, I either close the app or move off the app to texting camera or whatever, so I do not accidentally hit stop or change levels. At this point the app releases the deck and I think that is a protective measure. If I want to check levels later or make changes later on, I press the app and a search button appears, I press that button, the deck appears, I press that and it instantly connects, I hit the go back arrow and have functionality once again. It all takes just a few seconds. In my usage last night I thought that was great for my intended use, because I can stuff the deck and Pipsqueak or my UGLY into my pocket locked and use my phone to make changes without any fear of shoving the phone in my pocket and screwing anything up. It felt to me as if this was thought through in the design to allow the best usage and protection with the remote control by phone.

we should ask them to add a lock button/swipe to the app that might be useful?

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline KenOrwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »
About Zippering, Roland has confirmed me that the R-07 units has an error in the firmware. Now I'm waiting news from them about this bug. Please, all users that own one contact with Andrea.fortuna@roland.com for report the incidence.

Roland Supporto Tecnico

Dear Customer, thanks for the information, the problem has been communicated to Roland and I am waiting for news.
The problem could be solved with a further firmware update.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:42:59 PM by KenOrwell »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2018, 01:22:30 AM »
is there another email because i dont see them saying what you said they said in that quote

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2018, 03:56:30 AM »
I tried my R07 for the first time last night with great results. I was open taping The Ike Willis Project

upload that please! ;)

I was given the ok to record, but not upload. That probably will happen but we'll see.

In fact I had forgotten I set the deck to record a second track at lower dB, and that track was very very low. I used AT 853>Naiant Pipsqueak>Roland R07.

can you guess at how many dB lower? we have a lot more room with the modern 24 bit architecture. not really the same animal, but i can record mics straight into my ad2k with no gain stage, it peaks at like -30 but is clean as a whistle when normalized. Far cry from the days of having to pound the levels on a 16 bit DAT or *gasp* cassette. I would guess the safety  track would be 12-20 dB down? I wonder if there is a lot of quantization noise when running a 16-bit safety track?

also for those who didnt know, you are limited to 48K in safety mode, you cant use 88 or 96K with this feature

According to the manual it is approximately 20dB lower. I record at 24/48, so I am fine with the dual track. I boosted the lower track just to give a listen and heard no difference in quality from the original track. I never thought about it, but it's a nice feature for those shows that start way louder than expected.

Because as stated above I was open taping using the MixPre6 with 3 sets of mics, I made sure to move levels and play around. I controlled the deck mainly from my phone to get a feel for that. I changed levels quite a bit and had no zipper effect at all. Maybe this was due to the very loud volume, but nothing audible at all.

so was this like some experimental test using line out of mixpre to the R07?

No, the MixPre recording was what I used to record the show. The AT853>Pipsqueak>R07 was totally separate and I just took the opportunity to test it fully where I didn't have to worry about looking at it or having it visible.

I had no trouble at all with the Bluetooth, but I believe that it is meant to be used a certain way. If you lock the deck (on the deck with the power button in lock position) which I did, the remote from the phone will still control the levels as well as record, stop, start and all. After doing whatever I need to do, I either close the app or move off the app to texting camera or whatever, so I do not accidentally hit stop or change levels. At this point the app releases the deck and I think that is a protective measure. If I want to check levels later or make changes later on, I press the app and a search button appears, I press that button, the deck appears, I press that and it instantly connects, I hit the go back arrow and have functionality once again. It all takes just a few seconds. In my usage last night I thought that was great for my intended use, because I can stuff the deck and Pipsqueak or my UGLY into my pocket locked and use my phone to make changes without any fear of shoving the phone in my pocket and screwing anything up. It felt to me as if this was thought through in the design to allow the best usage and protection with the remote control by phone.

we should ask them to add a lock button/swipe to the app that might be useful?

I like it just fine as is, but others may want a lock button.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
is there another email because i dont see them saying what you said they said in that quote

Where do you want to see that?

Offline symon

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2018, 07:18:02 PM »
Just to add my experiences. I've had the R-07 for a few weeks now, and have taped in a number of different situations. As a quick bit of background, I haven't taped any shows for years (previously taping to DAT), but started again after getting relatively good tapes through my iPhone. So, using the R-07's internal mics is definitely a step up from the iPhone. I've also taped a few shows using the Roland CS-10EM in ear microphones. These are ok for quiet gigs, but they completely flaked out when faced with Gomez (heavy bass drum sound). However, this weekend I finally got my new CA14 cardioids and 9200 preamp. Gave them their first try tonight and I'm impressed with everything. The mics and recorder coped with Dizraeli and Moon Hooch, and some of the loudest and deepest bass sounds I've heard in a long while. I could feel my scalp moving! So, with a decent set of mics, big thumbs up. And, you know, as a basic recorder using just its internal mics, not bad - better than an iPhone.

The biggest plus for me is the bluetooth connection to my phone. I rarely have problems with it and I really appreciate being able to control the recorder without having to get it out of my pocket.

So, after the Gomez gig I was a bit worried that i'd bought a lemon. But, I'm very pleased now. It's a great recorder.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »

Where do you want to see that?

im just saying if thats the email i dont see them admitting there is a firmware error, looks more like "thanks for the feedback i will pass along the message"

Offline akrabu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »
Can anybody explain how the hybrid limiter works?  Do you have to switch on the limiter?  Or do you just need 2xWAV on?  Or are both necessary?

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
Here you can hear the different stages of the gain increment in the R-07.. I'm increasing the input gain to 100.

https://instaud.io/29f6

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2018, 09:57:40 AM »
Roland Supporto Tecnico
11:33 (hace 4 horas)

Dear customer, I received e-mail from Roland (Japan), for the "zipper noise" problem in the Roland R07:
---------------------------------------------------
Hi Andrea,
The development team are aware of this and do not consider it to be fault.
Just reading the R-07 reference guide and it actually mentions the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for collaboration.
Best regards

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2018, 11:41:09 AM »
 :zoomie1:

Fisher meet Price.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com