Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vert or T bar?  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: vert or T bar?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 12:47:08 AM »
look man, i'm not trying to start a war here.  i'm not even trying to convince anyone that a vert bar is better than a t-bar.

I'm not trying to start a post-war either, I'm just trying to understand your comments re the vert bar.  I simply addressed your comments with my own:  the first, addressing design but not functional differences (which although plays into personal preference for usability, does not, I believe, impact configurability);  the second, indicating risers are cheap, easy, and not always necessary with the t-bar (to ensure potential users are aware of how easily this "problem" (or non-problem, as the case may be) is solved);  the third, clarifying whether you meant horz spacing as indicated, or actually meant vert spacing (I still think you meant vert spacing, yes?);  and the fourth, a perfectly valid question regarding config setup.  All perfectly appropriate comments and questions, IMO.  Apologies if I came across short or personally attacking, that was not my intent.

it's better for me for the reasons listed.  as i posted, it depends on what you're running.  as i said, i have both.  i'm just stating my opinion.  Me personaly, i happen to like my vert bar better.  it's all in the eye of user.  certain things that may seem like pluses to you, are minuses to me and vice versa.

Yup, agreed, we all have personal preferences.  But the main point of your post that triggered my question re configs is not a matter of opinion, but a factual matter, i.e. whether the vert bar offers greater variety in config setup is not an opinion, it's a factual issue.  The vert bar either offers greater variety, or it doesn't.  Aside from the option to achieve greater vertical spacing with the vert bar - which to the best of my knowledge doesn't have an impact on any of the stereo configurations we use - I'm still curious in regards to this comment...

you can achieve configs that the t-bar just won't do.

...about the question I asked but to which I have not received an answer:

What configs are you able to do with your vert bar that are not possible with a t-bar?

Either the vert bar supports more / different configs than a t-bar, or it doesn't.  As far as I know, it doesn't.  But I could be wrong, and if I am I'm genuinely interested in learning if and how it does offer greater variety.

yes, i meant vertical spacing.  my bad.

as i said, problems to me might be non-problems to you.  personal preference prevails here.

differences is design, to me, equates to diferences is functionality.

if you want to get technical, i'm sure that with enough mods, tweaks, and add-ons both units could be made to produce the same configs.  so in deference to this, i'll revoke my earlier statement about the the vert bar achieving configs that the t-bar can't.  neither of us can 100% confirmm or deny that a certain config can or cannot be attained w/ either device.  i was meaning to give my opinion that, to me, the vert bar gives more options.  to me, in my situation, with my gear and preferences, it gives me more options.  i should have said "IMO w/ my setup, i get more of a variety of options w/ the vert bar than the t-bar".   we could go on and on about this, but it really won't serve any purpose.  he aksed for advise, i gave my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 12:51:40 AM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 02:18:54 AM »
Alright, I just scratched a lengthy post I prepared in response to Scooter - no point in dragging this out as he's obviously missed my point entirely.  Hopefully the shorter post will encourage Scooter or others to actually address the one and only question I've posed:

What mic configs does the vert bar support but a t-bar does not?  I believe the answer is "none".
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 02:39:21 AM »
im not saying its impossible, but it certainly would have been very difficult to find a way to do ORTF with my old set up (c1000s on a standard "on stage stands" 3 mic mount like this:

maybe if you ran one upside down and then tried to push the mics so that they were really unbalanced in your clips or shocks...but i wouldnt trust it. other than that, i think your probably right brian. ive been using a DIY vert bar for a few months now and like it alot, but i think i may be in the market for a cheap bar (probably the KM 235 (#?)) or a used, mostly so i have some more room to spread my omnis when i want to.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 05:05:36 AM »
i never used the akg bar, but i'm curious now.  i'm currently using pfife's vert bar with his tl's and holyshit that thing is heavy.  i honestly thought that thing was sweet until i picked it up.  i'm personally a fan of my home made vert bar that i used with my audixes, it weighed next to nothing, i could run just about anything i wanted with it, and it cost me about $5 to make.  i'll probably make another one for my new mics, or use the same one if i can.

so my suggestion, just make your own if you're not running ld's.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com