Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: attenuation - where/how is the best way..?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
attenuation - where/how is the best way..?
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
i use the akg c422, and alot of times i find myself needing to attenuate the signal, and i have been using the pad on the mic. then i read this:

Quote from: dsatz
Thus any built-in pads of that type (which, as I said, are the most common type) should never be used unless they are needed to prevent the microphone itself  from overloading.

oops. well i understand the logic, that you are adding noise, and so that leaves me with two options: using the -20db pad on the tmod-p2 (the recorder i use), or using those shure a15as inline attenuators i have. specifically, will the use of one provide better sonic results, or are they the same..? obviously, i would rather run the pad on the p2 'cos it is less gear, but if there are sonic advantages to using the shures, i would use those instead...

thanks, in advance, for any advice, information and insight.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: attenuation - where/how is the best way..?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
You need to find out where the overloading apear. If your microphones are overloading, you need to use the built-in pad (-10 or -20dB). The output of the microphone is 5mV/Pa (94dB) and that is on the low side. What kind of gain is provided by your mic preamp? Maybe you what input level it can take?

Roger 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com