Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Found: good alternative to Schoeps SG20  (Read 2231 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Found: good alternative to Schoeps SG20
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
I tried these on my CMC5 preamps and they work great!  (I was using these for my AT4050s when not in shock mounts).  You do need to tighten the thumbscrew all the way in, but it's rock solid, low profile, won't mar the finish on the mics (soft rubber), and appears indestructible.  About $50 for a pair.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352412-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8471_8471_Isolation_Clamp.html

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Found: good alternative to Schoeps SG20
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
Looks like a nice stand adapter, but I don't think A-T should claim that it "eradicates vibration and noise transmitted through mic stands" since this clamp doesn't isolate (pinch off) the cable from the stand or boom, and that's where half or more of noise/vibration problems come from.

I cringe when I see people suspend a mike in a shock mount and then wrap its cable around the boom arm or stand--they might almost as well not use a shock mount at all.

Also, "eradicates" is just not a word that should be used in this context. A good shock mount may reduce the transmission of solid-borne sound by 10 or 12 dB, but "eradicates" would mean that no noise reaches the mike at all, ever, no matter what its amplitude was before. Earthquakes, volcanoes and alien invasions be damned ...

--best regards

P.S.: Does everyone here already know about Rycote InVision shock mounts? They make them for complete microphones and for capsules on active cables. They're effective, durable, and reasonably priced. Any Schoeps dealer in the U.S. is likely to be a Rycote dealer as well, since the same distributor (Redding Audio) imports both product lines.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:12:42 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
I've been looking at the Rycote mounts for Schoeps MK5 + KCY and a question I have is can you still use a windscreen? Seems like the mount lyres are going to obstruct the windscreen too much to get it securely on.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »
Looks like a nice stand adapter, but I don't think A-T should claim that it "eradicates vibration and noise transmitted through mic stands" since this clamp doesn't isolate (pinch off) the cable from the stand or boom, and that's where half or more of noise/vibration problems come from.

This to my mind is just what it looks like--a stand adapter, and nothing more.  I agree that the claim that it provides any shock protection is total BS and I ignored it.  I do think it's better than the SG20, and for sure will last longer.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com